Chapek's comments - he doesn't want anyone on this board at WDW any more

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just feed "all the data" into the black box and the answer will be perfect! Irrefutable!
It’s a ball…not a box

1663623490707.jpeg

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Easy, Cowboy…it’s still very niche. That’s not their target/core customer

Even if they delude themselves into believing that
Definitely not their target customer but you can easily see how many are in the parks which cost them basically nothing in overhead in comparison to what they are charging& really has no major impact on other guests

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That to me is a big reason Genie+, FP+ and FP don't work. They aren't meant for crowd control.
Fp+ was ONLY for crowd control. Period.

Genie is actually more flexible…but operates in a Similar way.

Fast pass was 100% effective in what it was meant for…at the time they didn’t need “crowd control” nearly as much. It was to allow more time to consume consumables by not having long standbys.

MickeyLuv'r

Okay lol. They "can" adopt it, but they "don't want to" because "it won't work" for the reasons so clearly stated by @Sirwalterraleigh two posts up. Is that better?
Okay, lol.

I've been a member of this forum since 2004. For over 15 years, forum members repeatedly told us that WDW would never go to a 'paid fastpass' and gave us many reasons why it won't work at WDW, yet here we are.

Chi84

Premium Member
Okay, lol.

I've been a member of this forum since 2004. For over 15 years, forum members repeatedly told us that WDW would never go to a 'paid fastpass' and gave us many reasons why it won't work at WDW, yet here we are.
And it doesn't work. I've been saying from the start that the reason WDW was the only place with a free fast pass system for 20 years was that they don't have enough ride capacity to charge for such a system. People are more willing to accept a free system based on "you get what you pay for," but they expect a paid system to work well. (I've been here awhile too and there aren't many optimists around - I don't remember too many people saying Disney would never charge for fast pass).

Jrb1979

And it doesn't work. I've been saying from the start that the reason WDW was the only place with a free fast pass system for 20 years was that they don't have enough ride capacity to charge for such a system. People are more willing to accept a free system based on "you get what you pay for," but they expect a paid system to work well. (I've been here awhile too and there aren't many optimists around - I don't remember too many people saying Disney would never charge for fast pass).
That's part of it. Universal doesn't have a lot of attractions either so it's not totally that. A big part of it is the different type of guest each park gets. I

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
personally the biggest factor is this... people for most part will go to Universal parks for 2 days... so spending an stupid amount to skip the line becomes maybe a 1 day purchase and call it a day and a family can be okay with that because its a shorter trip... now Disney is say a weeklong trip different mindset 4 parks etc.... just part of why i feel it works at Uni

MickeyLuv'r

I only have a limited amount of time to devote to this, but here is a quick search of certainties people posted and curious things they did or did not think would happen in regard to FP:

2019: This post was deleted, but it was quoted by another forum member: Disney would take a huge PR hit for a mass introduction of paid FP...

Another forum member said if WDW added paid FP, they would also have to continue to offer free FP: Nope. They wouldn't be taking anything away. Just like Disneyland it would be an added option.

A very repeatable Forum member said this: The free [FP] benefit wouldn't be taken away, just reduced in reach. Much like the gradual removal of EMH, although in some form it is still available.

Here's an interesting take: WDW, by the way likes having people prebooked for rides, that allows them to prebook for sit down meals etc etc...more money.

Love this: See there is the rub, it's hard to take something away from someone what is free now.

One more: But the Boarding Groups are here to stay. There's no way they'll get rid of them. And they can't do an upcharge specifically for a boarding group and not guarantee admission. As RoTR doesn't operate reliably (the real reason for Boarding Groups in lieu of FP+), that'd be another kind of nightmare. (Yet we now have paid ILL's for RotR.)

This one is correct! [If WDW did away with FP/BG...] These forums would go into meltdown.

And last, this one: If [FP] is offered as a paid add on, the price would need to be... practically an additional 100$ possibly more.

TQQQ

Original Poster
I only have a limited amount of time to devote to this, but here is a quick search of certainties people posted and curious things they did or did not think would happen in regard to FP:

2019: This post was deleted, but it was quoted by another forum member: Disney would take a huge PR hit for a mass introduction of paid FP...

Another forum member said if WDW added paid FP, they would also have to continue to offer free FP: Nope. They wouldn't be taking anything away. Just like Disneyland it would be an added option.

A very repeatable Forum member said this: The free [FP] benefit wouldn't be taken away, just reduced in reach. Much like the gradual removal of EMH, although in some form it is still available.

Here's an interesting take: WDW, by the way likes having people prebooked for rides, that allows them to prebook for sit down meals etc etc...more money.

Love this: See there is the rub, it's hard to take something away from someone what is free now.

One more: But the Boarding Groups are here to stay. There's no way they'll get rid of them. And they can't do an upcharge specifically for a boarding group and not guarantee admission. As RoTR doesn't operate reliably (the real reason for Boarding Groups in lieu of FP+), that'd be another kind of nightmare. (Yet we now have paid ILL's for RotR.)

This one is correct! [If WDW did away with FP/BG...] These forums would go into meltdown.

And last, this one: If [FP] is offered as a paid add on, the price would need to be... practically an additional 100$ possibly more.
I don't necessarily disagree with paying for Genie+, but if I am paying, I want it to make it easier for me, not more difficult

I just do not like the other aspects of it....waking up early, time on phone, no return times, etc, etc, etc

TQQQ

Original Poster
I don't necessarily disagree with paying for Genie+, but if I am paying, I want it to make it easier for me, not more difficult

I just do not like the other aspects of it....waking up early, time on phone, no return times, etc, etc, etc
as an example, I did pay for Express Pass and loved the any time, any ride option

even though it was expensive, i felt like i got my moneys worth

WDW needs to find that balance between price and performance and I think its been a total failure so far

Chi84

Premium Member

Good heavens, I didn't say NOBODY ever said it; I said I didn't remember too many people saying it would never become a paid service. Of the quotes above, only three can be interpreted as saying it would never be a paid service.

The ones who said it would be a PR hit, people would go into meltdown and it wouldn't work are correct.

If I get incredibly bored I'll try to find how many predicted free fast pass would eventually be paid.

MickeyLuv'r

I'm not quite sure why you quoted my post in this case. My post was a list of things people said back in 2019 that have since proved to be incorrect.

But I agree with your first sentence for sure. Hectic mornings are less than ideal.

MickeyLuv'r

Good heavens, I didn't say NOBODY ever said it; I said I didn't remember too many people saying it would never become a paid service. Of the quotes above, only three can be interpreted as saying it would never be a paid service.

The ones who said it would be a PR hit, people would go into meltdown and it wouldn't work are correct.

If I get incredibly bored I'll try to find how many predicted free fast pass would eventually be paid.
We're now talking past each other.

As much as I enjoy reading the rantings of my fellow forum members, much of what they post simply isn't true, especially when they try to predict what WDW will do, won't do, or supposedly can't do. People tend to project their desires.

If WDW wants to create some type of 'premium' Genie+ service, they could do it. I'm not saying they will, only that the potential exists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom