Chapek's comments - he doesn't want anyone on this board at WDW any more

MickeyLuv'r

I don't agree. In any event, WDW is aware of the option to charge $150+ for an express pass. They haven't done it.

If a family wants to avoid paying for express pass at Universal, they can stay at a deluxe resort; that won't work at WDW.
It might if WDW limited the perk in some way.

Here are the numbers: HRH 650 rooms, Portofino 750, Royal Pacific 1051 = 2451 rooms and 2 parks

WDW:
AKL (Jambo) 972,
BC/YC, 583+635
Boardwalk 378,
Contemporary 655,
Grand Floridian 867,
Poly 479,
WL 430

About 5,000 rooms, if you don't include DVC. I mean flat out, 2,451/2 parks vs. 5,000/4 parks, looks pretty close. (I'm trusting the numbers posted by Touring Plans and assuming the they both have about the same ratio of king rooms.)

If they left AKL and WL out of the new perk, that would be 3,600 rooms/4 parks. It wouldn't make DVC owners happy if they did it this way of course, but in theory, WDW could come up with some formula that works- if WDW really wanted to adopt the Universal model.

MickeyLuv'r

That's my point, though. They don't want to adopt the Universal model.
But you also said it "won't work" at WDW.

"Don't want to" and "won't work" are not the same.

Clearly, you personally would not enjoy if WDW adopted that model, and to date WDW has not adopted that model, but that doesn't mean they can't adopt it.

Mind, I'm not sayin they will.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We noticed smaller portions at Docking Bay 7 a few weeks ago.

Some changes would be hard to notice, as menus have changed.

One we noticed was Contempo Cafe used to have multiple flatbread options, now they only offer one flatbread. It comes with bacon, sausage and pepperoni. If ordered in-person, you can request they leave off the meat, but that is the only option, and it is the same price. It is $12.

They used to offer: cheese for $10.30, and 2-3 other options: bacon/sausage/pepperoni $11.50, pulled pork $11.50, and another one with marinated beef +carmelized onion +goat cheese (plus an earlier option with Spinach +chicken + artichoke hearts.)

Many children will only eat cheese pizza, so this = a subtle kind of price increase.
Portions have definitely become smaller at the sit downs. Even the high ends.

I’m ok with that as I don’t need egregious amounts of fat, salt and sugar…

But not good on the battle for any semblance of “value”

Chi84

Premium Member
But you also said it "won't work" at WDW.

"Don't want to" and "won't work" are not the same.

Clearly, you personally would not enjoy if WDW adopted that model, and to date WDW has not adopted that model, but that doesn't mean they can't adopt it.

Mind, I'm not sayin they will.
It's just arguing semantics. They won't adopt a system that won't work successfully for them and that's why they haven't adopted it even though they are clearly aware of it. In theory, they can adopt any model they like no matter how poorly it would operate in the context of their theme parks.

MickeyLuv'r

It's just arguing semantics. They won't adopt a system that won't work successfully for them and that's why they haven't adopted it even though they are clearly aware of it. In theory, they can adopt any model they like no matter how poorly it would operate in the context of their theme parks.
To bring a little levity, I shall now quote one of my favorite Alice in Wonderland Mad Tea Party Quotes, with a few extra lines for context clarity:

"Your hair wants cutting,” said the Hatter. He had been looking at Alice for some time with great curiosity, and this was his first speech.

“You should learn not to make personal remarks,” Alice said with some severity; “it’s very rude.”

The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was, “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”

“Come, we shall have some fun now!” thought Alice. “I’m glad they’ve begun asking riddles.—I believe I can guess that,” she added aloud.

“Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?” said the March Hare.

“Exactly so,” said Alice.

“Then you should say what you mean,” the March Hare went on.

“I do,” Alice hastily replied; “at least—at least I mean what I say—that’s the same thing, you know.”

“Not the same thing a bit!” said the Hatter. “You might just as well say that ‘I see what I eat’ is the same thing as ‘I eat what I see’!”

“You might just as well say,” added the March Hare, “that ‘I like what I get’ is the same thing as ‘I get what I like’!”

“You might just as well say,” added the Dormouse, who seemed to be talking in his sleep, “that ‘I breathe when I sleep’ is the same thing as ‘I sleep when I breathe’!”

“It is the same thing with you,” said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped...

..."Have you guessed the riddle yet?” the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.

“No, I give it up,” Alice replied: “what’s the answer?”

“I haven’t the slightest idea,” said the Hatter.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can you speak more to this?
You can’t apply the model of a regional park…or even universal…to the crowd and capacity levels at Disney parks. They’re like the top 6 parks in the country in attendance…I haven’t checked recently by probably all in the top 20 worldwide…

So express pass is functional because of the price…but also because they don’t have the daily numbers crunch that halts the regular line flow. Wdw does.

So you do the “high priced” ride all you want? Great…that portion runs in circles on the queues.

Now do you sell 10% daily make the standbys 2 hours?
Or 25% and make them 3?

And I bet the other 90%75% will accept their fate, right? Lots of “poor” people at the poly these days, no?

So where do you find “balance”?

If you price it to where supply exceeds demand…then so few partake that you still have long standbys…and those people buy less food, drink, exclusive popcorn buckets and mouse ears.

If it worked…it would have been there long ago. That’s why the genie is what it is…they’re trying to balance with slight fee deterrence…then they’ll crank it for profit

JoeCamel

You can’t apply the model of a regional park…or even universal…to the crowd and capacity levels at Disney parks. They’re like the top 6 parks in the country in attendance…I haven’t checked recently by probably all in the top 20 worldwide…

So express pass is functional because of the price…but also because they don’t have the daily numbers crunch that halts the regular line flow. Wdw does.

So you do the “high priced” ride all you want? Great…that portion runs in circles on the queues.

Or 25% and make them 3?

And I bet the other 90%75% will accept their fate, right? Lots of “poor” people at the poly these days, no?

If you price it to where supply exceeds demand…then so few partake that you still have long standbys…and those people buy less food, drink, exclusive popcorn buckets and mouse ears.

If it worked…it would have been there long ago. That’s why the genie is what it is…they’re trying to balance with slight fee deterrence…then they’ll crank it for profit
Data driven....

Chi84

Premium Member
To bring a little levity, I shall now quote one of my favorite Alice in Wonderland Mad Tea Party Quotes, with a few extra lines for context clarity:

"Your hair wants cutting,” said the Hatter. He had been looking at Alice for some time with great curiosity, and this was his first speech.

“You should learn not to make personal remarks,” Alice said with some severity; “it’s very rude.”

The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was, “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”

“Come, we shall have some fun now!” thought Alice. “I’m glad they’ve begun asking riddles.—I believe I can guess that,” she added aloud.

“Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?” said the March Hare.

“Exactly so,” said Alice.

“Then you should say what you mean,” the March Hare went on.

“I do,” Alice hastily replied; “at least—at least I mean what I say—that’s the same thing, you know.”

“Not the same thing a bit!” said the Hatter. “You might just as well say that ‘I see what I eat’ is the same thing as ‘I eat what I see’!”

“You might just as well say,” added the March Hare, “that ‘I like what I get’ is the same thing as ‘I get what I like’!”

“You might just as well say,” added the Dormouse, who seemed to be talking in his sleep, “that ‘I breathe when I sleep’ is the same thing as ‘I sleep when I breathe’!”

“It is the same thing with you,” said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped...

..."Have you guessed the riddle yet?” the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.

“No, I give it up,” Alice replied: “what’s the answer?”

“I haven’t the slightest idea,” said the Hatter.
Okay lol. They "can" adopt it, but they "don't want to" because "it won't work" for the reasons so clearly stated by @Sirwalterraleigh two posts up. Is that better?

MickeyLuv'r

They’re like the top 6 parks in the country in attendance…I haven’t checked recently by probably all in the top 20 worldwide…
I hate to point out the obvious, but WDW currently limits attendance to those with park reservations.
Maybe they are no longer interested in sheer volume?

MK 2019 = 20,963,000
MK2020 = 6,941,000

Universal Studios Japan 2020=14,500,000
Universal Studios Japan 2019=4,901,000

US Orlando 2019 = 10,922,000
US Orlando 2020 = 4,096,000

HS 2019 = 11,483,000
HS 2020 = 3,675,000

In 2020, Universal Studios Orlando beat Epcot (4,044,000), HS (3,675,000), and came somewhat close to AK (4,166,000). US Japan beat 3 of the WDW parks by a significant margin. Disney still held onto #1 (MK), and barely #2 (AK), but not #3 (US Japan) or #4 (Chimelong Ocean Kingdom).

The 2021 report is due to be out any day now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hate to point out the obvious, but WDW currently limits attendance to those with park reservations.

MK 2019 = 20,963,000
MK2020 = 6,941,000

HS 2019 = 11,483,000
HS 2020 = 3,675,000

In 2020, Universal Studios Orlando beat Epcot (4,044,000), HS (3,675,000), and came somewhat close to AK (4,166,000). US Japan beat 3 of the WDW parks by a significant margin. Disney still held onto #1 (MK), and barely #2 (AK), but not #3 (US Japan) or #4 (Chimelong Ocean Kingdom).

20 was the Covid shutdown, kid.

You need the 21 numbers to be reasonably accurate…maybe even 22

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

MK 2019 = 20,963,000
MK2020 = 6,941,000

HS 2019 = 11,483,000
HS 2020 = 3,675,000

20 was the Covid shutdown, kid.

You need the 21 numbers to be reasonably accurate…maybe even 22

SteveAZee

Or 25% and make them 3?

Got it. Thanks.

Since Disney liked tiers for things, what about a tier between VIP access and G+/ILL? I'm assuming that the price of doing the VIP has managed to be self-limiting, so perhaps a mid-tier model would work as well for access to attractions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sarcasm isn't allowed on this forum.

But once again, you went low, when you could've gone high.

We could have an intelligent discussion, but then you resort to posts like the above.

sigh.
You’re reading too much “tone” in my keystrokes…I tease everyone starting with myself.

I didn’t know if you were bypassing the throw away numbers enough?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Got it. Thanks.

Since Disney liked tiers for things, what about a tier between VIP access and G+/ILL? I'm assuming that the price of doing the VIP has managed to be self-limiting, so perhaps a mid-tier model would work as well for access to attractions.
I think you’d have the same problem…too many would want it…”no” isn’t an acceptable answer at their price level…and they can’t handle the number of butts in the park.

That’s genie to me…it’s attractive enough to be able to shunt people where you want them with it…but not attractive enough that most go for it…
It rarely sells out…so there’s ample supply.

It’s crowd rationing…same as plus. All their new “ideas” for the last 10+ years have been trying to get people to lessen their own crowds without noticing they’re doing it for fee, by choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom