Chapek's comments - he doesn't want anyone on this board at WDW any more

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think a scam is when one unwillingly falls victim of a scam. Prior to getting your money extracted at WDW, one should see in advance what they’re paying for?

So suppose I spend $100 on a product that enables me to play an electronic game.

Then the product arrives, but it doesn't work.

I visit the help desk, to see if maybe I overlooked a way to get the product to work, thinking it will only take 10minutes.

TWO hours later, the product still doesn't work. I am not offered a refund.

IS that a scam?
Ok…not to go down this well…but I think lightning lanes are borderline scams…by definition.

The one offs…not the genie+ which is a virtual queue

Lilofan

So suppose I spend $100 on a product that enables me to play an electronic game.

Then the product arrives, but it doesn't work.

I visit the help desk, to see if maybe I overlooked a way to get the product to work, thinking it will only take 10minutes.

TWO hours later, the product still doesn't work. I am not offered a refund.

IS that a scam?
I would ask about refund and return policy prior to purchasing.

Goofyernmost

I don’t think it is just the luxury market Disney is trying to get more share of. Several years ago , Disney partnered with ex NFL QB Colin Kapernick to help Disney tap more into the billion dollar plus spending power of the African American market in idea making and consulting with Kap.
Stop defining luxury items as something that is exclusive to wealthy people. Toilets were luxury items but cover every level of culture. Luxury is, like I said anything that you can afford after all your necessities have been provided or in todays world that or whatever your credit card will have room for.

Goofyernmost

I don’t think it is just the luxury market Disney is trying to get more share of. Several years ago , Disney partnered with ex NFL QB Colin Kapernick to help Disney tap more into the billion dollar plus spending power of the African American market in idea making and consulting with Kap.
True, but regardless of whatever partnering they established, one has to have the available funds over and above their individual living needs before any of it matters.,

Jrb1979

Stop defining luxury items as something that is exclusive to wealthy people. Toilets were luxury items but cover every level of culture. Luxury is, like I said anything that you can afford after all your necessities have been provided or in todays world that or whatever your credit card will have room for.
Fine but the point is Disney was created for the middle class. Now they are trying to go after the upper class that has no interest in what they are selling.

Goofyernmost

Ok…different Avenue though…

I’ll clarify: Disney parks were not built, are not operated, and will never be operated for cater to upper class means and expectations.
That is correct, they were not established to cater to the wealthy, however that doesn't mean that they aren't being run that way now. It's that thing that isn't talked about.

GimpYancIent

Fine but the point is Disney was created for the middle class. Now they are trying to go after the upper class that has no interest in what they are selling.
Yes. The strata of people B.C. and Co think they are appealing to actually see Disney as a simpleton's entertainment, a brief distraction. There are more enjoyable destination vacations of greater interest for the lofty.

Goofyernmost

Believe me, I am living comfortably but they sure as hell are not gearing it to me. I always loved WDW and spent most of the last 40 years just daydreaming about my next trip. That desire hasn't changed, however, what has changed is people like myself no longer feel that the value supports the cost and increased hassle factor of that experience makes it no longer worth spending money that I might need later. The very wealthy can, but most will lose interest quickly.

Last edited:

Lilofan

That’s your assumption. There is a luxury market that businesses want a piece of. That’s what I was trying to say.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Believe me, I am living comfortably but they sure as hell are not gearing it to me. I always loved WDW and spent most of the last 40 years just daydreaming about my next trip. That desire hasn't changed, however, what has changed is people like myself no longer feel that the value supports the cost and increased hassle factor of that experience makes it no longer worth spending money that I might need later. The very wealthy can, but most will lose interest quickly.
I’m not as wise as you, Yoda…but I’ve definitely been around long enough to be on the Jedi council

And I’m with you…I don’t hate it…I still want it…but the appeal is dropping consistently…

It’s not that I mind paying a “premium” for that product. Always did and would…I just don’t like the feeling they’re constantly “searching for the boundaries” with me and Everyone else.

And before anyone goes Econ 1 (incorrectly) and says “it’s a business…they always did that”…
They did not. That wasn’t the management philosophy. And that philosophy did and could still work. It’s choices and tradeoffs.

Floydian

I'm not surprised, or all that upset, that prices keep going up so much, and I'm broke. It's been 35 years, but I still remember Econ 101. My problem is that Disney and Chapek are pushing the wrong side of the equation.

They seem to be trying to lower demand by increasing costs and frustrations, and lowering offerings and quality. Instead they should be trying to increase supply by building a fifth park, or an entire third resort for the US market. Maybe call it Disneyland+.

Wilbret

When you price "families like mine" that seek value in passes, guess what we do? We find value in other activities. Our kids enjoy going to Disney, but our kids don't ASK to go to Disney.

For "families like mine," a pass wouldn't mean we'd be there constantly, but we'd visit more often. I can't recall ever being in the park and not spending hundreds of dollars. Seems like that's pretty nice to have...

Oh well

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not surprised, or all that upset, that prices keep going up so much, and I'm broke. It's been 35 years, but I still remember Econ 101. My problem is that Disney and Chapek are pushing the wrong side of the equation.

They seem to be trying to lower demand by increasing costs and frustrations, and lowering offerings and quality. Instead they should be trying to increase supply by building a fifth park, or an entire third resort for the US market. Maybe call it Disneyland+.
I’d love to agree with you here…but building extra parks in the traditional sense in the US would be a terrible business move. But that’s due to society factors/hurdles more than anything.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

That’s your assumption. There is a luxury market that businesses want a piece of. That’s what I was trying to say.
I never said there wasn't a desire for that market, but, is that a sustainable market. That is the part that is unknown right now. Will it end up being an influx of profit only to fizzle out in the future. Only time will tell, but I don't think it can be ruled out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom