Chapek's comments - he doesn't want anyone on this board at WDW any more

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Maybe a better description is "disposable" product/experience
They weren't designed to be exclusive or luxury but neither are they designed to be a necessity.

As much as I don't like it, I can't argue with Disney charging as much as they can for their product. As you say, it's not a necessity, it's not like jacking up prices on food of rent.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As much as I don't like it, I can't argue with Disney charging as much as they can for their product. As you say, it's not a necessity, it's not like jacking up prices on food of rent.
Funny…I was just watching the ticker today talk about that’s EXACTLY what’s being done to Disney’s employees beyond the purple arches…
And the wheel continues to spin for us as it will “have” to cost more.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. I think people need to get away from calling Disney a luxury experience for wealthy people. At best it is a premium experience designed to appeal to the masses but is often perceived as overpriced. For it to be a luxury experience there would need to be a reduction in capacity to the immediate post-covid but pre-vaccine caps. When I went in August 2020 and rode Space Mountain 6 times in a row to the point of boredom is the capacity limits you need to have for a luxury experience. Then and only then would I say it is a place for the wealthy because at that point the wealthy will need to pay a ridiculous amount per day to make up for the lack of revenue. When I think of luxury, I think of the Four Seasons Private Jet experience that was then copied by Adventures by Disney. When you have to drop $200k per person for a private jet trip around the world that includes at a minimum a personal physician for all on board that is when IMO we hit luxury levels.

The problem with Disney is that it refuses to recognize that as much as it pains me to say, prices are still TOO LOW. As much as Chapek may say he wants the family that comes every 5 years, the prices are at a point where the premium experience is watered down for all. Disney needs to make a choice as to what segment it wants. Straddling multiple just doesn't work when it is the in-park experience that folks are basing their opinions as to how well their vacation went.

I would love more domestic parks, more capacity, more rides, lower prices, lower wait times, but that is not the reality we live in. Disney is a business with a current vision/long-term plan that may or may not be for everyone. It is infuriating to me, but what can I do about it except not go to the parks. Based on their rhetoric there's 5 more families willing to take my place.
Disney would never make the commitment to provide the quality and service to serve “wealth”

They never have and never will… it requires to much cost and Disney isn’t designed for that.

What they’ve done - and well - is use perception and direction to get people with better than average “means” to overpay and develop loyalty while doing it. That’s their lane.

Credit there.

GimpYancIent

Disney would never make the commitment to provide the quality and service to serve “wealth”

They never have and never will… it requires to much cost and Disney isn’t designed for that.

What they’ve done - and well - is use perception and direction to get people with better than average “means” to overpay and develop loyalty while doing it. That’s their lane.

Credit there.
You are describing a successful scam.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Credit there.
I think this overstates the refinement of the ostensibly highbrow.

(i.e. rich people are stupid, too)

ceecee101

Just my 2 cents. We are former AP holders who used to go 2x per year. But we have not been in 13 years and are now going in November for some milestones in our lives. I guess that makes us “the family from Denver” now. And frankly really worried. First it has taken months of research, reading, YouTube videos, etc. to even understand how WDW works now. (Thank you people on these forums for all that). It did not used to be this complex it seems to me. Then, The whole Genie+, ILL, park reservations, limits on hopping, etc. is a complete 180 from how we used to do things —And complicated. Finally we picked a week celebrating some milestones for us but also a week that in the old days would be a “lull”. From what many regulars say there may be almost no lulls anymore. So we’re a bit terrified of all this and if our experience is going to ruin WDW for us. So I can see that side of it. Anyway will def do a trip report when we get back and share thoughts then. Hoping there’s still magic and not wall to wall people, on our phones all day, frustrated because we can’t ride things or eat where we would like, can’t get ADRs, etc. We shall see.

Goofyernmost

The problem is Disney parks are not a “luxury” product

They weren’t conceived, designed, or built to function as such…and the economics don’t work without mass attendance.
A luxury product can be defined as anything that is not required to survive. People can live a very long, happy life and never set foot in any Disney Park ever. Boring? Maybe, but certainly not life threatening.

MickeyLuv'r

& i will say the same thing w society they get into a tizzy over certain things but turn a blind eye to china... i dont want to be banned from this chat like i was from the splash one so ill end my comments here.... hypocritical if you ask me or just a sense of fake outrage or a fomo with what is hot on social media at that present time
People turn a blind eye to all sorts of problems these days. Most often, they only care about the shiny objects that are hyped over and over by the media, even members of this forum do it.

Much of the perpetual outrage over what a celebrity did or did-not do falls into this range.

Yet this is nothing new. Shakespeare commented on this over 400 years ago. Much of the play Julius Caesar is about this kind of bread and circus that still distracts us in 2022. The play is highly relevant to the present day shenanigans, like how politicians manipulate crowds and the plebeians just eat it up.

The more we allow ourselves to be divided over dumb stuff, the easier it is to fool us.

Lilofan

A luxury product can be defined as anything that is not required to survive. People can live a very long, happy life and never set foot in any Disney Park ever. Boring? Maybe, but certainly not life threatening.
I don’t think it is just the luxury market Disney is trying to get more share of. Several years ago , Disney partnered with ex NFL QB Colin Kapernick to help Disney tap more into the billion dollar plus spending power of the African American market in idea making and consulting with Kap.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok…different Avenue though…

I’ll clarify: Disney parks were not built, are not operated, and will never be operated to cater to upper class means and expectations.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

I think a scam is when one unwillingly falls victim of a scam. Prior to getting your money extracted at WDW, one should see in advance what they’re paying for?
So suppose I spend $100 on a product that enables me to play an electronic game.

Then the product arrives, but it doesn't work.

I visit the help desk, to see if maybe I overlooked a way to get the product to work, thinking it will only take 10minutes.

TWO hours later, the product still doesn't work. I am not offered a refund.

IS that a scam?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t think it is just the luxury market Disney is trying to get more share of. Several years ago , Disney partnered with ex NFL QB Colin Kapernick to help Disney tap more into the billion dollar plus spending power of the African American market in idea making and consulting with Kap.
Kinda like when they reskinned one of the best WDI rides ever - maybe the best - to serve as an IP tie to a 15 year old animated movie that didn’t do well (check the chart 🐧) but has considerable product licensing value?

Or “announcing” two Spanish culture based “attractions” for magic kingdom they have zero intention of ever building for positive PR spin?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom