News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Some remakes weren't remakes... they were 'reimaginings' such as Maleficent and Wicked.

One was a sequel or two: The two live-action Alice movies. Or a prequel: Cruella.

There's a whole thread to whip Disney over 'remakes' so we can go back here to talking about... <checks thread title>... why Chapek was fired.

Last edited:

Stumpos

Looking at how the Disney leaders have been divisive, who would you all say was the best Disney leader between:

• Walt Disney (1923-66)
  • Roy O Disney (1966-71)
  • Card Walker/Donn Tatum (1971-80)
  • Ron Miller (1980-84)
  • Michael Eisner (1984-2005)
  • Bob Iger (2005-20, 2022-present)
  • Bob Chapek (2020-22)

denyuntilcaught

Looking at how the Disney leaders have been divisive, who would you all say was the best Disney leader between:

• Walt Disney (1923-66)
  • Roy O Disney (1966-71)
  • Ron Miller (1980-84)
  • Bob Chapek (2020-22)
I wouldn't even include Walt here because...obvious reasons, so besides him, I'd argue that despite his vast pitfalls, Eisner was the most original.

TheIceBaron

I’m sure there is a long list of reasons why Chapek was fired but I think that in some ways Disney expected demand for their films to plummet which is why the pulled the trigger on Chapek. He simply wasn’t doing enough to ensure box office and park success in the long term. The future financial pain was predicted.

These movies take time to make and much of it, including Snow White, is a sunk cost. It’s probably a little easier to forecast demand based on available trailer views, Google searches, social media engagement and Disney+ streaming views. Indy 5 had a lot of reshoots because their forecasting likely showed a less than stellar performance. There is one thing the industry hates more than box office flops and that’s predicted box office flops and not doing anything to stop it.

Disney likely already had to bite the bullet on these projects because of contractual obligations, and made it hard to pivot to rapidly changing industry conditions. Notice how differently they are already approaching new film and streaming projects. I think Disney does get it but just seems slow to react because they can’t just stop film projects to the degree the extent they can park projects.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

• Walt Disney (1923-66)
  • Roy O Disney (1966-71)
  • Ron Miller (1980-84)
  • Bob Chapek (2020-22)

Walter
Eisner (results based business)
Roy O(next guy always was gonna get the tough job)
Iger
Walker/Tatum
Miller
Who?

Roy E may be the most important person in company history…no joke

TrainsOfDisney

I wouldn't even include Walt here because...obvious reasons, so besides him, I'd argue that despite his vast pitfalls, Eisner was the most original.
I agree, behind Walt Disney, Eisner had a good vision for the company.

Disneyland Paris is arguably the best designed Disney castle park and that’s because of Eisner as much as Baxter. He also gave Joe Rohde freedom to create DAK in a unique way.

While DCA and Disney Studios Paris also came along under Eisner, they were budget cut for reasons that at the time at least made sense. It’s truly a shame we didn’t get Westcot and Hyperion Bay in California.

The best things that came out of the parks in Igers time, were really because of John Lassiter.

Lilofan

I’m sure there is a long list of reasons why Chapek was fired but I think that in some ways Disney expected demand for their films to plummet which is why the pulled the trigger on Chapek. He simply wasn’t doing enough to ensure box office and park success in the long term. The future financial pain was predicted.

These movies take time to make and much of it, including Snow White, is a sunk cost. It’s probably a little easier to forecast demand based on available trailer views, Google searches, social media engagement and Disney+ streaming views. Indy 5 had a lot of reshoots because their forecasting likely showed a less than stellar performance. There is one thing the industry hates more than box office flops and that’s predicted box office flops and not doing anything to stop it.

Disney likely already had to bite the bullet on these projects because of contractual obligations, and made it hard to pivot to rapidly changing industry conditions. Notice how differently they are already approaching new film and streaming projects. I think Disney does get it but just seems slow to react because they can’t just stop film projects to the degree the extent they can park projects.
The failures of Chapek somehow rewarded him with a $23M goodbye package.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Fired yes... but not for cause :p. He started thinking he was allowed to be in charge way too soon.
Except he was in charge, he just didn’t consolidate his power and naively assumed the BOD would be behind him, all the while the opportunists looking to move up the chain within Disney knew the only way to cover themselves would be to bring Bob back “Temporarily”. McCarthy and her flunkies on the BOD thought they could manipulate and control Iger 2 for their own advantage…and now they’re gone too.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
That didn’t really qualify as a hiatus, seing as he came back a few months after leaving the first time.
He never left the company, he never even vacated his office to give to Chapek. His contract stipulated he would remain with TWDC for 5 years after separation as an executive adviser. The same contract clause reset after his return for part 2. He could remain in the c suite wing till at minimum 2031.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom