Changes to private dining hours at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

AndyS2992

What a ridiculous statement. Who are you to judge when people are hungry? Can't tell you how many times I've gotten to a hotel late at night after a long flight and been very happy room service was available for a quick bite.
I’m not judging anyone. It’s a well known health fact that if you eat late and sleep not long after you will gain weight and give yourself an upset stomach due to your body not being able to digest your food properly. But if you want order a three course meal at 3am and go to bed 20 minutes later and then find yourself weighing 6 pounds heavier and feeling sick, don’t come crying to me. Like yourself I’ve got in to my hotel late a few times but I’ve either brought food to eat on the plane or wait until breakfast. If you plan accordingly you won’t find yourself hungry at inconvenient times.

TrojanUSC

If there was a big demand for room service they wouldn't be cutting back the service hours. Room service is still available till 2 am at the resorts where it's utilized the most.

That's not the point. The point is that you are paying "five star" hotel prices and most people, including myself, expect the level of service to be comparable of that to a similar hotel elsewhere in the world. It's no wonder they are losing so many premium guests to the Waldorf and FS. It's embarssing.

TrojanUSC

I’m not judging anyone. It’s a well known health fact that if you eat late and sleep not long after you will gain weight and give yourself an upset stomach due to your body not being able to digest your food properly. But if you want order a three course meal at 3am and go to bed 20 minutes later and then find yourself weighing 6 pounds heavier and feeling sick, don’t come crying to me. Like yourself I’ve got in to my hotel late a few times but I’ve either brought food to eat on the plane or wait until breakfast. If you plan accordingly you won’t find yourself hungry at inconvenient times.

Who said anything about a three course meal? The late nite menus are sandwiches, salads and pizza, maybe.

It's a vacation, people want to splurge and do things they wouldn't normally do.

trampdog

Who said anything about a three course meal? The late nite menus are sandwiches, salads and pizza, maybe.

It's a vacation, people want to splurge and do things they wouldn't normally do.

If you are staying at GF, they'll give you some chocolates on your pillow. There ya go. Enjoy!

This is such a ridiculous thread, yet so entertaining :D. It simply amazes me that someone can't wait four hours in the wee hours of the morning, to eat. It's this lack of self control that has made us the fattest country in the world. Pretty soon, you'll be paying extra to walk around WDW. Guests with scooters will remain at the same price.

Casper Gutman

Its a cost cutting measure I can get behind. Really no need to keep the kitchens up for all hours.
Why would anyone accept any cost-cutting measures from a resort that is as absurdly overpriced as WDW? The way hotel rates, ticket prices, merchandise and food costs have all skyrocketed during the Iger period, there is absolutely no reason to accept or defend Disney for chopping service - something they do continually.

You know, if people stop paying WDW's exorbitant prices for mediocre service, the service would improve.

Casper Gutman

If you are staying at GF, they'll give you some chocolates on your pillow. There ya go. Enjoy!

This is such a ridiculous thread, yet so entertaining :D. It simply amazes me that someone can't wait four hours in the wee hours of the morning, to eat. It's this lack of self control that has made us the fattest country in the world. Pretty soon, you'll be paying extra to walk around WDW. Guests with scooters will remain at the same price.
Yeah, it's so stupid people expect luxury amenities at $600 a night hotels. Stupid fatties. They should take whatever garbage WDW gives them and be thankful for it or they aren't real fans.

SeanWM48

Equally entertaining = the lengths people go to in order to defend services being cut

@ some of your other points- I don't have much fat on me and I'm in the gym 3-4x a week. But on vacation none of that matters and if I get back late from the parks and feel like a snack so be it. If you're a regular at a place like the GF and made use of the service this is a letdown. Part of the reason you pay for a place like that is the service and they don't seem to be offering anything in its place (yet charge the same as always)

erikjp

Yeah, it's so stupid people expect luxury amenities at $600 a night hotels. Stupid fatties. They should take whatever garbage WDW gives them and be thankful for it or they aren't real fans.

As long as Disney made this choice because late night dining was incredibly rare, as in barely anyone ordered food after midnight and before breakfast, then I am ok with it. But even if it was just mildly popular and it operated at a loss, then I don't agree with this decision. I would bet most 4/5 star hotels have 24 hr room service at a profit loss at night because they want to provide that level of service. None of Disney's hotels are a 5 star and most of them are around a 3, but they charge 5 star prices. They should at least attempt to provide a level of service commensurate to their price.

But alas, the pixie dusters will still show up in droves, not realizing they could have far better service/amenities for the price just a couple miles away.

And responding to trampdog, people on vacations often indulge. I workout regularly and eat healthy at home, but on vacation I eat/drink after midnight and waaaay overeat. Having a meal after midnight at Disney world is really nothing in the full history of your dietary choices to lead to obesity.

njDizFan

That is a post-hoc fallacy. Eating late at night will cause you to gain weight if it is a whole other meal that is added to your diet. But if you decide to have dinner at 11 PM instead of 6 there is no difference. Late night eating is often associated with binge eating and depression, anxiety and insomnia symptoms that obviously are not healthy(and often a coping mechanism). The body metabolizes and burns calories the same when sleeping if not even more so than a normal resting state(the brain is very active when you sleep).

Kingtut

Equally entertaining = the lengths people go to in order to defend services being cut

@ some of your other points- I don't have much fat on me and I'm in the gym 3-4x a week. But on vacation none of that matters and if I get back late from the parks and feel like a snack so be it. If you're a regular at a place like the GF and made use of the service this is a letdown. Part of the reason you pay for a place like that is the service and they don't seem to be offering anything in its place (yet charge the same as always)
I wouldn't get too upset about the pixie dusters - at least we can count on Denny's to deliver. Some companies actually care about the level of service they provide.

And to all of those who are concerned about the weights of the guests who might use such a service - perhaps you think Disney should ask your weight and then only allow you to order from a "weight appropriate" menu. No Mickey bars for you!!!

I know it is Disney and not a normal business environment but I can't tell you how many times I have arrived at a hotel in a strange city and was very happy to have a late night menu available. You are tired, don't really know the area you are in ( is it safe) , driving a car you barely know how to operate ( you have had it for a whole 30 minutes) and need to get ready for tomorrows breakfast meeting where you are giving the presentation so you can't really eat then.

Bah Humbug!!!

Biff215

I know that this isn't an adequate replacement for 24 hour in-room dining, but, does the monorail circuit have any 24 hour restaurants? I know that the Swolphin has Picabu which is 24 hours.
I believe Captain Cook's and Gasparilla's are 24 hours, unless that has changed recently too. Of course this doesn't really replace in-room dining for those hoping for that level of service. Even though I've never used it in Disney I agree this is an unfortunate cut even if a small percentage of guests were taking advantage of it.

trampdog

Don't know about anyone else, but I choose the deluxe resorts for proximity to a park and theme. I have never paid more than $350 a night at any of the resorts. As a comparison, I regularly stay at a Marriott Courtyard in a very populous area for business. The average night stay (after discount) is $319.

My point is that price does not necessarily equal amenities. If you want 24 hour white glove service, there's a Four Seasons on property that will gladly suck $700 a night from you and bring you a cookie at 3:00 AM.

Price is what people are willing to pay. Period. End of story. It's called supply and demand / capitalism. Disney bought the land, owns the land, built up the land, and put hotels on it. They can charge whatever they want. If less people show up, then they may reduce the price. So far, they don't seem to be lacking in filling the rooms. Like I tell my kids, "get it while you can, because its very likely one day you might not".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom