News Changes to operating Walt Disney World attractions due to COVID-19

celluloid

It’s not only staffing and budget. That’s certainly a part of it. But there are some Covid safety concerns as well, one of which had no reasonable solution. Those concerns were considered not worth addressing due to the relatively low attendance allowing most parking in the closer lots combined with the benefit of budget savings.

That is a really long way of saying budget. If the Monorails were figured out, the open air tram had no safety issue.
You also have less demand but people still parking quite far due to the spacing, and as mentioned, they are still charged the full parking fee.

peter11435

That is a really long way of saying budget. If the Monorails were figured out, the open air tram had no safety issue.
You also have less demand but people still parking quite far due to the spacing, and as mentioned, they are still charged the full parking fee.
I wasn’t saying budget. The trams are open air but that doesn’t solve the safety issue they present. Trust me when I tell you budget was a secondary reason trams did not return. It just happened to be a financially beneficial result of the operational issues that prevented their return.

techgeek

I wasn’t saying budget. The trams are open air but that doesn’t solve the safety issue they present. Trust me when I tell you budget was a secondary reason trams did not return. It just happened to be a financially beneficial result of the operational issues that prevented their return.

Can you be more specific about the nature of the Covid safety concern with trams?

The only thing I can come up with is that since the trams don't have assigned seating, even if rows are closed off there's nothing to prevent 2 parties of 2 or 3 from sitting together in a row. You can put signs and announcements requesting 'one party per row', but you would have to rely on guests to abide by that. It would also be the only instance of people being forced 'close' to each other naturally prior to temp screening.

Tori

That was the worst thing they could have possibly cut in this sweltering heat. Take the 15/20 staff from the Wilderness Express Train and put em on trams man. Move animation experience to the nemo theatre.

Similar in other theme parks. It was way too hot to be walking across the Disney World desert.

A tram ride in Epcot, DAK and DHS is pretty pointless these days. Parking is very close to the main entrance for the most part.

If you can't walk across the parking lot you probably can't walk in the parks either.

celluloid

A tram ride in Epcot, DAK and DHS is pretty pointless these days. Parking is very close to the main entrance for the most part.

If you can't walk across the parking lot you probably can't walk in the parks either.

It's called a courtesy tram. Most people can still climb three floors of stairs but elevators are still avalible. That is not how the service paid for works.
It was CP staffing and budgetary. The safety issues were very easy to figure out compared to the monorail, ride vehicles and other situations around the resort.

peter11435

It's called a courtesy tram. Most people can still climb three floors of stairs but elevators are still avalible. That is not how the service paid for works.
It was CP staffing and budgetary. The safety issues were very easy to figure out compared to the monorail, ride vehicles and other situations around the resort.
You keep saying this but it’s not really true. The safety issue that the trams presented is very different than that of the monorails and ride vehicles and is not easy to figure out as you say.

celluloid

You keep saying this but it’s not really true. The safety issue that the trams presented is very different than that of the monorails and ride vehicles and is not easy to figure out as you say.

It's not that hard to manage things safely as seen by all then other open theme parks with parking trams and similar situations. You keep acting like nothing else was through hoops. It was not easy, none of the changes were ideal, but if something is not worth the cost, that is a form of budgeting
There is no evidence to suggest anything else.

peter11435

It's not that hard to manage things safely as seen by all then other open theme parks with parking trams and similar situations. You keep acting like nothing else was through hoops. It was not easy, none of the changes were ideal, but if something is not worth the cost, that is a form of budgeting
There is no evidence to suggest anything else.
Again. There was more to it than just budgets. The money savings is a benefit but it was not the primary reason. Obviously there were other hoops but those were more necessary to overcome

celluloid

Again. There was more to it than just budgets. The money savings is a benefit but it was not the primary reason. Obviously there were other hoops but those were more necessary to overcome

If I used to offer a service based courtesy to a customer or guest, then take it away while still charging as if they are getting it because it would cost me a little more in the meantime, that is a budget cut.
You are giving it a specific (albeit with no evidence), while it is still the same thing. Not WORTH the COST to the company.

peter11435

If I used to offer a service based courtesy to a customer or guest, then take it away while still charging as if they are getting it because it would cost me a little more in the meantime, that is a budget cut.
You are giving it a specific (albeit with no evidence), while it is still the same thing. Not WORTH the COST to the company.
The tram service has always been considered a courtesy and not something guests were paying for. That’s why it has often not been offered on some low attendance days at Epcot for example and during the early hours with less demand.

Again. Like it or not the company had safety concerns for tram operations that there was no realistic way to alleviate.

celluloid

The tram service has always been considered a courtesy and not something guests were paying for. That’s why it has often not been offered on some low attendance days at Epcot for example and during the early hours with less demand.

Again. Like it or not the company had safety concerns for tram operations that there was no realistic way to alleviate.

So they were cut from budget.

_caleb

Seems strange Disney hasn’t (to my knowledge) implemented an ambient cooling system for outdoor locations. Some zoos use systems like this for penguins and polar bear habitats.

Besides making outdoor queues and other areas more comfortable for guests, it would really help the theming immersion for places like Everest, Matterhorn, Norway, etc.

Anyway we’re talking about changes Disney is making to the guest experience due to the coronavirus, and it occurred to me that if indoor AC-cooled areas are more risky than outdoor areas, they could do AC outdoors.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

Safety concerns is the dumbest excuse I have heard. They can quite literally do what they've been doing with their attractions at the parks.

Even if they don't run them at the start of the day (which is fine, you have energy and it's not too hot yet), they should be running the trams as a "courtesy" from about 1:00 pm onwards... ESPECIALLY if folks are paying TWENTY FIVE dollars just to park in a lot... and even MOOOOORE SO if they're limiting park hours and still charging full price. Jesus.

Tori

Exactly. There's absolutely no reason to run them right now except for maybe at the Magic Kingdom.

Lilofan

Safety concerns is the dumbest excuse I have heard. They can quite literally do what they've been doing with their attractions at the parks.

Even if they don't run them at the start of the day (which is fine, you have energy and it's not too hot yet), they should be running the trams as a "courtesy" from about 1:00 pm onwards... ESPECIALLY if folks are paying TWENTY FIVE dollars just to park in a lot... and even MOOOOORE SO if they're limiting park hours and still charging full price. Jesus.
It's not rocket science to see that theme parks are not hitting their target numbers. All parts of the theme parks need to streamline or eliminate services.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom