Changes to ID requirements for alcohol purchases at Walt Disney World

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It seems like they could code this info on the magic band, but then again I suppose people could switch bands in order to drink under age. Boy what a hassle though to be from another country and have to carry either your passport or a copy of it and a government id.

mickeysbrother

Last time i went to the world Disney did not accept my gf ID. Had her b-day and picture. It was a insurance card since we are from Canada we all have one. Its a legal form of ID here. Since she does not have a drivers license Technically she could use this now with a photocopy of her passport im hoping

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Last time i went to the world Disney did not accept my gf ID. Had her b-day and picture. It was a insurance card since we are from Canada we all have one. Its a legal form of ID here. Since she does not have a drivers license Technically she could use this now with a photocopy of her passport im hoping
If the Insurance card is government issued, then it would work ....if it is issued by a private company then it would NOT work. :cautious:

The key phrase here is "Government Issued".

sgtmgd

because, MagicBands
It amuses me when folks think the magic band fixes all...I applaud Disney their due diligence...you should always have a form of official ID on you as you never know what is going to happen... Same with a credit card or cash... What of the system goes down... Common sense folks..

ExtinctJenn

It amuses me when folks think the magic band fixes all...I applaud Disney their due diligence...you should always have a form of official ID on you as you never know what is going to happen... Same with a credit card or cash... What of the system goes down... Common sense folks..
The only way I could even remotely see them using the bands to store your legal drinking age information would be to also put your photo on them in some way and/or your signature so that someone couldn't give their band to some kid who wants a beer. Not far from impossible though actually. The signature/photo wouldn't need to be on the band itself but rather something that pops up on the screens when someone uses one (like the iPads at the attractions). They could totally do it BUT as you said, that'd have to come with the understanding that if the system goes down, you're just gonna have to live with being sober.

Skippy's Pal

There will be no chance of me being asked my age..:(..Insanity maybe..:eek:.Age no..

I wouldn't be so sure, depending on implementation of all this. I had thought that, being in my 60's, I was long past getting "carded." Not so. On a recent trip to the state of Washington, my 50ish wife and my 60ish self were carded. At first we thought it was a joke. It wasn't. Server was dead serious and told us she couldn't serve us unless we produced the proper ID. The explanation seemed related to anti-discrimination or anti-"profiling" something, whereby the restaurant could escape any accusation of discrimination by enforcing the rule that everyone, no matter their painfully obvious age, had to show ID. Or maybe it was a Washington State thing, who knows. Concerning Disney, which would be equally eager to not be accused of anything discriminatory, I wonder if, in tandem with these new ID regulations, they are implementing something similar, where everyone, even geezers, have to show an official ID. Or maybe it's the New World Order......for the conspiracy-minded......and apparently, REAL passports in Epcot!

Epcot-Rules

Since it is the law in the US to have a valid ID when purchasing alcohol, why shouldn't it be the law at Walt Disney World?

I must agree. The state of Florida crucifies stores and restaurants for selling alcohol to minors. Why should Disney not be held to the same standards and not have to follow state laws?

flynnibus

Premium Member
The only way I could even remotely see them using the bands to store your legal drinking age information would be to also put your photo on them in some way and/or your signature so that someone couldn't give their band to some kid who wants a beer

The problem isn't that the bands can't carry the info... the problem is the bands are not a recognized acceptable form of identification under the eyes of the state. So accepting bands as the proof of ID would open TWDC to liability in the eyes of the state liquor board.

real mad hatter

Hold the phone here..Are you saying if I wander into La Cava for a Margarita in the future,the Barman is gonna ask for my I.D.:eek:....My first alcoholic drink was in the 60's..And yes,I was of legal age..I had my first taste of whisky when I was an apprentice in the Glasgow shipyards in Clydebank and my first wage of 4 pounds ( $6 ) for one week..I must be reading this wrong surely..:jawdrop:..

ExtinctJenn

The problem isn't that the bands can't carry the info... the problem is the bands are not a recognized acceptable form of identification under the eyes of the state. So accepting bands as the proof of ID would open TWDC to liability in the eyes of the state liquor board.
Well, there is probably a way around that in that they could require the real identification up front and it is scanned and associated with your band and displayed upon checkout. I'm sure too, with Disney's pull, they could work something out if they really wanted to. Just not sure there is really a need. ;)

fbp

A private insurance card is legal ID for alcohol purchase?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom