Changes to bus transportation for the water parks begins this weekend

Vaughn4380

dstrawn9889

Admittedly I'm playing a little bit of connect-the-dots on that. I don't have a specific Source but Bombardier transportation declined to put in a bid for Disneyland's new monorail trains citing that the scale was far too small for them to make a competitive bid on. And now they've come up with the Innovia monorail, which requires a larger and wider beamway. Today they could still do it because they are still completing orders of older model trains. However their focus is now on innovia.
the 'scale' you are referring to is the AMOUNT of trains, not the track gauge

Disone

the 'scale' you are referring to is the AMOUNT of trains, not the track gauge
No. It was the guage of the track. Disneyland's is much smaller and they were not interested in doing that as they no longer make them that small. It had nothing to do with the amount of trains.

dstrawn9889

No. It was the guage of the track. Disneyland's is much smaller and they were not interested in doing that as they no longer make them that small. It had nothing to do with the amount of trains.
the quote you placed above is referencing the total amount of trains to be made to give them a competitive price. Bombardier just not interested in stamping out 12 trains, when they have orders for 60 and 70 at a time for metro transit companies.

Disone

the quote you placed above is referencing the total amount of trains to be made to give them a competitive price. Bombardier just not interested in stamping out 12 trains, when they have orders for 60 and 70 at a time for metro transit companies.
Again no. It was the gauge not the size of the order. Bombarier does have orders for just one or two trains. The issue was the game not the size of the fleet. They currently do not have a massive amount of orders, quite honestly they never have. They would happily take orders for three Disneyland trains in 12 Walt Disney World trains. In the case of Disneyland, Walt Disney imagineering did reach out to them first but they were not interested in building something on a smaller gauge. So WDI had to reverse-engineer one of the trains in order to do the entire fleet in house,

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

the Mark VI and the Innova 200 ARE THE SAME TRAIN BASE. they use the same beamway, since Las Vegas brought in the mark VI (since replaced by the Innova 200)

Disone

Cirrec
the Mark VI and the Innova 200 ARE THE SAME TRAIN BASE. they use the same beamway, since Las Vegas brought in the mark VI (since replaced by the Innova 200)
Correct for wdw, not for disneyland. The Disneyland monorail system and the Walt Disney World Monorail system are not compatible systems. Disneyland gauge is significantly smaller. Not just the size of the trains the actual track itself.

Disone

I do feel like I should clarify. I'm not saying that today if Walt Disney World wanted to replace the fleet that Bombardier would not be able to do so. I'm sure there would be more than happy to do so.

I am saying that when Disneyland wanted to replace their Fleet Bombardier said no. They were not set up to produce a train of that size. That said Disney had to reverse-engineer Disneyland monorail Fleet in order to build new ones in house.

Today while Bombardier no longer produces the 200 series they do still support it. But they have moved on with the 300 series which is a larger gauge and is not compatible with the 200 series. Disneyland monorail system as something completely different and is neither a 200 series or a 300 series. Disney World Is Still compatible with a 200 series. But with Bombarier moving on with a 300 series I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they will discontinue even supporting, or entertain even building, more 200 series. It would be like asking Ford to build a model T. Sure they've done it in the past but they're not really interested in doing it anymore.

Last edited:

Disone

Thats a little better. Even better would be not transfer at DAK prior to 1pm as is the case for typhoon at Springs. Transfer after 1 p.m. , but before 1 p.m. just stay on the same bus it will continue to typhoon.

Maybe just go back to the old way. I do believe they had good intentions with the changes, they were trying to improve their overall Transportation scores by focusing on theme park transportation. That said I do not agree, and never really have, but this was the way to do that.

Last edited:

AEfx

Again I don't disagree that it's a hassle, but it's completely doable and WDW shouldn't be raked over the coals for it.

Lots of things are "doable" - but please, for the love of everything Mickey - they are there to serve US. This isn't some favor they do by providing transportation. It's all in their best interests. Bus service is ridiculous enough as it is - yet Disney keeps on selling this on-site transportation as some massive benefit when really with all the time you are wasting waiting for buses and changing buses and so forth you'd be surprised how much of your vacation you leak away with those infernal buses.

You could easily spend and hour and a half or more in a day waiting for or sitting in buses just to park hop once. Add that up over a week and you are talking an entire park day you've spent sitting and waiting for buses. You may be just fine with that massive time dump during your vacation, but please let's not do this whole "let's be grateful we have transport at all!" nonsense, because they benefit more from it than we do in terms of tricking people into not realizing they can travel with a personal vehicle in 1/3 of the time without the crowds and germs and such.

Phil12

. You may be just fine with that massive time dump during your vacation, but please let's not do this whole "let's be grateful we have transport at all!" nonsense, because they benefit more from it than we do in terms of tricking people into not realizing they can travel with a personal vehicle in 1/3 of the time without the crowds and germs and such.
And let's not forget that the heat and humidity in central Florida keeps all those germs happy, healthy and ready to infect all the susceptible people that ride the buses, monorails and attractions at WDW.

AEfx

And let's not forget that the heat and humidity in central Florida keeps all those germs happy, healthy and ready to infect all the susceptible people that ride the buses, monorails and attractions at WDW.

Yeah, I'm not overly germ-phobic (just healthy, IMO - I wash my hands when I leave the bathroom, I avoid touching public doorknobs, etc.) but I know I have gotten sick at least 3 or 4 times at WDW from those dang busses. As soon as you hear that kid start sniffling behind you, and the sneeze, it's all over, LOL.

Disone

Yeah, I'm not overly germ-phobic (just healthy, IMO - I wash my hands when I leave the bathroom, I avoid touching public doorknobs, etc.) but I know I have gotten sick at least 3 or 4 times at WDW from those dang busses. As soon as you hear that kid start sniffling behind you, and the sneeze, it's all over, LOL.
I don't really have that concern with the buses at Walt Disney World. I no more fear the child sneezing on a bus then I do all the things I'm being exposed to when I go to any of the public bathrooms at the Walt Disney World Resort. And that's not a dig on the bathrooms. But let's face it people are hot they're dirty and they're doing things in the bathroom that are going to expose you to germs and other things.

I'm not really a huge fan of buses. That said I will give Walt Disney World credit, they keep their bus is pretty clean both inside and out. They'll also keep the air-conditioning pretty well maintained on the buses. Sometimes too well maintained. They can be darn cold in those things. Of course there have been exceptions but with a fleet that large and with as many rides I've taken that is to be expected. By and large I find them very clean and very well maintained and I wish, just wish, I could say the same thing about the monorail.

surfsupdon

The bus going to Typhoon and then onto Springs is fine.

But a bus going to AK, then you must transfer to a BB bus, this is where the problems arise. Because you need to wait double, once for each leg of transport. And I'd imagine the bus from AK to BB will not run as frequently as the bus that goes from your Resort to your theme park of choice. I can wait 20mins at CBR Jamaica, then circle the entire Resort to make pick ups, then head to AK to disembark and walk to the BB transfer stop probably on another section than where I was dropped off. 35mins have passed now I must wait maybe another 20mins for my BB bus. A Guest can waste so much time waiting for and transferring buses that it is a shame. Or they could wait next to nothing. It's all luck.

But either way, direct routes should be offered, or at least shared routes. Good thing I use Typhoon, and not Blizzard.

Thebolt

I wonder how much a travelator would cost between the Spring bus station and Typhoon Lagoon.
The distance looks comparible to some airports.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom