Changes in the last 2 years that burn your britches

tanc

No, you're not. There are still the busses. Unlike the monorail, it's not an either-or.
Then why did a manager CM tell me I can't take a bus to Epcot or HS, only if the gondola is closed is the only way I can take a bus to epcot/hs?

tl77

The PINK Castle to me it's a huge insult to people who've been WDW fans for years. My family has been going to WDW for over 40 years, and to change the whole resort's icon just before the 50th anniversary feels like a slap in the face. It's a sign they're more interested in "new guests" who might wonder why it didn't look like the castle in the Disney films logo, which is a case of "Corporate Synergy" over "Disney History", but I'm sorry to say that seems like it will be the norm going forward

Disney-Updated-Movie-Logo-2011.png

COrunner

Is Disney different from the days of yore? Absolutely. We could all list hundreds of changes since our earliest visits. Thankfully, dear Martin gives us brilliant looks into the wonders of the past.

But focusing on just the last two years, I’ve seen changes that have repeatedly thrown my heart against the wall. Just the last 2 years. Yes there are changes all the time. WDW isn’t a museum. But I wanted to put all of my concerns in one place (asked and answered). I’m including presumably COVID-related things that I assume were on their last legs anyway:

1. The coming loss of Magical Express
  2. The Halloween Party beginning in August
  3. Special limited-edition treats and the influencers who hock them
  4. eBay reseller “entrepreneurs” who have gone more hardcore in the last 2 years than I have ever seen prior
But ask me how I really feel?

The loss of the magical express definitely hit me. Part of the fun at the start of the trip was boarding the bus and having one less thing to worry about. At the end of the trip it was a nice value add. I'm totally withholding judgement because the train that they are supposedly building I would assume would be part of a magical express 2.0.

Halloween party in August... As someone who has taken advantage of the early cheaper rates, lower crowd volume I'm fine with the parties. Is it the idea that Halloween is still going on in summer?

You'll have to explain this one to me. As someone who goes about once a year and for a relatively short trip I appreciate the Tim Trackers giving an update to the treats and gives us something to look forward to. Also let's us kind of pick and choose in advance then try and guess when we are there.

The whole reselling culture has become toxic the last 4-5 years. I'm not sure how to solve it, but definitely don't like it.

OG Runner

The loss of the magical express definitely hit me. Part of the fun at the start of the trip was boarding the bus and having one less thing to worry about. At the end of the trip it was a nice value add. I'm totally withholding judgement because the train that they are supposedly building I would assume would be part of a magical express 2.0.

Halloween party in August... As someone who has taken advantage of the early cheaper rates, lower crowd volume I'm fine with the parties. Is it the idea that Halloween is still going on in summer?

You'll have to explain this one to me. As someone who goes about once a year and for a relatively short trip I appreciate the Tim Trackers giving an update to the treats and gives us something to look forward to. Also let's us kind of pick and choose in advance then try and guess when we are there.

The whole reselling culture has become toxic the last 4-5 years. I'm not sure how to solve it, but definitely don't like it.
I wouldn't withhold judgement on the loss of the Magical Express. The new train is supposed to go from the airport to Disney Springs.
You figure even if you could take the train, then you get your bags, find a bus to your resort, before actually getting there. The loss of
the Magical Express is a big deal and a big loss.

COrunner

I wouldn't withhold judgement on the loss of the Magical Express. The new train is supposed to go from the airport to Disney Springs.
You figure even if you could take the train, then you get your bags, find a bus to your resort, before actually getting there. The loss of
the Magical Express is a big deal and a big loss.
I get that,

When I was talking through things with a friend the idea that germinated to us was:
-Airport uses the existing ME tag system on bags, so they would still go to from resort as before
-Instead of the bus you'd get some kind of transfer to the train
-Disney Springs then becomes a hub to resort hotels

That latter part isn't great, would you mix in with DS shoppers, have to move carry on bags to from, etc.

PolynesianPrincess

DON'T even get me started on influencers and bloggers clogging the parks on the daily! I almost got whacked in the face by a "blogger" (apparently anyone can assign themselves this title on Instagram) because she was full out dancing on one of the walkways with people trying to get by. Also had to wait for 10 minutes on the bridge going to Liberty Square from the hub for a picture while some sort of self proclaimed important social media person took a photoshoot. There was no one else waiting in front of us, it just really took her 10 mins. Also trying to get limited edition merch and seeing it sell out yet APs are reselling it on eBay for a hefty profit!! The Disney dog and cat collection is sold out online yet there are TONS of it on eBay. These things make me super angry....

OK, carry on. :hilarious:

UNCgolf

I get that,

When I was talking through things with a friend the idea that germinated to us was:
-Airport uses the existing ME tag system on bags, so they would still go to from resort as before
-Instead of the bus you'd get some kind of transfer to the train
-Disney Springs then becomes a hub to resort hotels

That latter part isn't great, would you mix in with DS shoppers, have to move carry on bags to from, etc.

I think it's unlikely Disney will handle your luggage for you with Magical Express ending.

They might offer it to you as an additional paid service, but the days of it being done for "free" as a perk of staying on-site are probably gone.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I think it's my exhaustion in regards to extended hard-ticket events. It decreases park hours for day guests and kind of waters down the party uniqueness (just IMHO).

While I don't really have an issue with established streamers, though I've never followed Tim Tracker, you have to admit that we've got to the point where it's become beyond ubiquitous. Kind of like how everyone has or has had a podcast. And I have personally been in situations at the parks where there have been more than a few folks holding up their phones, paying little attention to those around them, especially in queues and in ride vehicles, sort of like someone choosing to FaceTime on a crosstown bus. I haven't experienced civilians (non-streamers) doing this, so maybe I've been lucky. It makes a trip to WDW feel as if I'm intruding on the streamer rather than the other way around. Again, just my personal feeling. And feelings mean relatively nothing these days.

Absolutely. Many on this forum have cried “free market” and (gasp) "entrepreneurism" but that doesn’t mean I have to like it!

Last edited:

tanc

Loss of magical express sounds pretty terrible. Incredible service to me, made me never have to get a car to Disney. I guess this is a way for people to use LYFT, when in reality I would rather just use Uber instead. Part of the Disney magic to me was taking a bus and being able to relax on the way to your resort. Even if they make some sort of train to Disney Springs, I still have to go through a ton of trouble, and will there be buses specifically for travelers? Like taking luggage on a normal bus seems like it will take up a lot of space if you're a large family... Disney seems to really be losing their touch these days.

COrunner

I think it's my exhaustion in regards to extended hard-ticket events. It decreases park hours for day guests and kind of waters down the party uniqueness (just IMHO).

While I don't really have an issue with established streamers, though I've never followed Tim Tracker, you have to admit that we've got to the point where it's become beyond ubiquitous. Kind of like how everyone has or has had a podcast. And I have personally been in situations at the parks where there have been more than a few folks holding up their phones, paying little attention to those around them, especially in queues and in ride vehicles, sort of like someone choosing to FaceTime on a crosstown bus. I haven't experienced civilians (non-streamers) doing this, so maybe I've been lucky. It makes a trip to WDW feel as if I'm intruding on the streamer rather than the other way around. Again, just my personal feeling. And feelings mean relatively nothing these days.

Absolutely. Many on this forum have cried “free market” and (gasp) "entrepreneurism" but that doesn’t mean I have to like it!
I can definitely see being more attuned to that stuff if you are frequenting the parks. This might also be that I haven't been to Disneyland in 25+ years but if my youtube recommendations help it seems like streamers/influencers/whatever are far more prevalent there so maybe a silver lining for you!

As our stays are limited in duration maybe it is easier to be in the moment and enjoy the time there without thinking too much of the people around.

Shouldigo12

The PINK Castle to me it's a huge insult to people who've been WDW fans for years. My family has been going to WDW for over 40 years, and to change the whole resort's icon just before the 50th anniversary feels like a slap in the face. It's a sign they're more interested in "new guests" who might wonder why it didn't look like the castle in the Disney films logo, which is a case of "Corporate Synergy" over "Disney History", but I'm sorry to say that seems like it will be the norm going forward

View attachment 523915
A color change is a "slap in the face" and a "huge insult"? I get not liking it, but isn't that a biy of a hyperbole?

popcenturylover

After this year we will probably start staying off-site. Disney just keeps on eroding the "perks" & prices keep rising every year. Just not worth it!

Raineman

It used to be that threads like this that were nothing but moaning and complaining about the myriad of things people hate about WDW made me roll my eyes-but with so many threads here in the last 10 months about our current situation we are all under on this planet, this is an almost-refreshing throwback. Now, back to the regularly scheduled doom-and-glooming.

tagoofy

Is Disney different from the days of yore? Absolutely. We could all list hundreds of changes since our earliest visits. Thankfully, dear Martin gives us brilliant looks into the wonders of the past.

But focusing on just the last two years, I’ve seen changes that have repeatedly thrown my heart against the wall. Just the last 2 years. Yes there are changes all the time. WDW isn’t a museum. But I wanted to put all of my concerns in one place (asked and answered). I’m including presumably COVID-related things that I assume were on their last legs anyway:
  1. Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
  2. The Fountain of Nations
  3. The Harmonious barges destroying both the serenity of World Showcase and my views across the lagoon
  4. Impressions de France dwindling almost down to nothing
  5. Beauty and the Beast: LeFou’s Catastrophe
  6. Loss of the Great Movie Ride
  7. Gain of Minnie and Mickey’s Screen Spectacular
  8. The coming loss of Magical Express
  9. The coming loss of Splash Mountain for a ride that makes absolutely no sense in Frontierland (give me a better option and I MIGHT change my mind but pls don’t turn this into another thread about it)
  10. The removal of Extra Magic Hours
  11. The Riviera Marriott
  12. PRICES exponential for any recent era
  13. A lot of Galaxy’s Edge though I don’t miss the echoes of the decaying Backlot Tour
  14. Loss of Great Moments in History
  15. Rise of the Resistance’s operational nightmare
  16. THE PINK CASTLE
  17. DVC taking up more and more oxygen in the Disney machine
  18. The proliferation of Epcot festivals - more present than ever for longer and longer periods
  19. The Gran Destino Hyatt
  20. The Halloween Party beginning in August
  21. Club Cool
  22. The PeopleMover and its tenuous future
  23. The hopefully discarded joke of the Reflections Resident Inn (including this because god knows it could return)
  24. The loss of the lights on Cinderella Castle
  25. After hours holiday parties during after hours holiday parties
  26. The Electric Umbrella
  27. The ridiculous new “lands” arrangement at EPCOT
  28. Special limited-edition treats and the influencers who hock them
  29. The disrespect toward the Gran Fiesta Tour animatronics (they’re relics, yes, but deserve better)
  30. Muppets in Epcot (love them dearly but not in World Showcase)
  31. eBay reseller “entrepreneurs” who have gone more hardcore in the last 2 years than I have ever seen prior
  32. More and more YouTube streamers making the resort their soundstage
  33. The plight of Morocco
  34. If Finding Nemo: The Musical is truly gone forever
  35. MouseGear
  36. The FountainView
  37. The blight of the Skyliner mucking up the... sky
  38. Disney Springs and its continued banality
  39. GOTG Box
  40. Tron Box
But ask me how I really feel?

In general, a good list, but a few I would strike and a few (see above) that just don't bother me that much or were "due" to go. A few I would add (like Adv Club that someone else mentioned).

If I had to vote for just one.... Splash. I like it. It is not broken (still one of the most popular rides), and therefore also fiscally irresponsible to spend $$ on changing it especially when there are so many things that ARE broken that need $$.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
In general, a good list, but a few I would strike and a few (see above) that just don't bother me that much or were "due" to go. A few I would add (like Adv Club that someone else mentioned).

If I had to vote for just one.... Splash. I like it. It is not broken (still one of the most popular rides), and therefore also fiscally irresponsible to spend $$ on changing it especially when there are so many things that ARE broken that need $$.
Well, we didn't lose the Adventurer's Club in the last 2 years but it is SORELY missed!

It used to be that threads like this that were nothing but moaning and complaining about the myriad of things people hate about WDW made me roll my eyes-but with so many threads here in the last 10 months about our current situation we are all under on this planet, this is an almost-refreshing throwback. Now, back to the regularly scheduled doom-and-glooming.
Don't worry, I can multitask in many areas of doom-and-glooming. COVID, politics, 2 years of numerous losses/changes at WDW. I'm everywhere! Send antidepressants.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom