Changes for Galaxy's Edge Temporarily On Hold

Disstevefan1

To be clear...I’m not buying this bs excuse (nor should anyone - ever)

...but to your question, YES...they very well could use this type of excuse to cancel, trim, extend timelines or cheapen budgets on Florida projects.

Why wouldn’t they? The same people are coming...or not coming...no matter what they do to prices, upsells and values...why spend more?

I fear you are totally correct! This is exactly the excuse Bob Chapek needed to stop spending money, and you are also totally correct, folks keep coming to WDW, no matter what.

I also suspect the coronavirus will not stop the usual price increases on EVERYTHING at WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I fear you are totally correct! This is exactly the excuse Bob Chapek needed to stop spending money, and you are also totally correct, folks keep coming to WDW, no matter what.

I also suspect the coronavirus will not stop the usual price increases on EVERYTHING at WDW.
🎼“It’s the most wonderful time..of the year” 🎼

I’m curious if they do a half crush this year and then do backend next? Or if bookings are soft hedge a little and then crush it all next year?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How did we get from "Changes for Galaxy's Edge Temporarily on Hold" to EPCOT Redevelopment gripes pre-20th post in the thread?
It always seems to happen...

But my take is Epcot is actually going on...while “more Galaxy’s edge” is complete fantasy. Check the box office...or any Hollywood news and tell me how Disney is gonna make more money off added Star Wars costs beyond a baby yoda souvenir stand right now?

dizneycrazy09

It always seems to happen...

But my take is Epcot is actually going on...while “more Galaxy’s edge” is complete fantasy. Check the box office...or any Hollywood news and tell me how Disney is gonna make more money off added Star Wars costs beyond a baby yoda souvenir stand right now?

I'd have to imagine that profits at DHS have gone through the roof since GE opened (specifically RotR).

As far as checking the box office or Hollywood news, it's all click-bait. Star Wars is as popular as ever. No film was ever going to reach the heights of TFA, as it was a demand that existed one time in history. TRoS made well over a billion dollars world wide. Adding more to GE (particularly in HS), would absolutely continue to increase attendance and revenue (And desperately needed capacity).

erasure fan1

Adding more to GE (particularly in HS), would absolutely continue to increase attendance and revenue (And desperately needed capacity).
I'm not so sure about that. Sure you increase capacity and you will increase clicks into the studios, but I really wonder how overall attendance will fair. I don't see it increasing all that much. At least not enough for them to invest anything of any significance to the land.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Per a reliable source, I'm informed that an upcoming meeting in two weeks to determine potential changes / expansions for Galaxy's Edge has been put on hold with a tentative meeting in April that exists more as a placeholder than anything. This meeting was to be attended physically or via teleconference by Bob Chapek, Megan Crumpacker, Vanessa Morrison, Kris Theiler, Josh D'Amaro, Phil Holmes, and Kareem Daniel (among others). The cancellation of this meeting is directly due to the closure of parks in Asia, which is placing a hold on all potential future expansion expenditures for domestic parks until a more firm outlook in that region can be determined. Furthermore, I was told that a contingency plan is in place should Asian parks remain closed for significant durations that would see one of the water parks at WDW closed for the spring, as well as all mini-golf venues, and reduced hours at the parks (think opening times of 10 am for non-MK parks). All of these changes are ONLY on the table if Asian parks stay closed for months. The belief is that WDW can absorb cuts much better than DLR, which is already being run on lower staffing due to the summer "Close the Gap" initiative. Regardless though, any changes for Galaxy's Edge at either US park is now on hold.

How much do you actually save closing Mini-golf? They can't be that expensive to operate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd have to imagine that profits at DHS have gone through the roof since GE opened (specifically RotR).

As far as checking the box office or Hollywood news, it's all click-bait. Star Wars is as popular as ever. No film was ever going to reach the heights of TFA, as it was a demand that existed one time in history. TRoS made well over a billion dollars world wide. Adding more to GE (particularly in HS), would absolutely continue to increase attendance and revenue (And desperately needed capacity).
Nope...you’re completely misreading what going on from the sidelines...which takes into heavy account the trajectory of the franchise since the late 90’s

And numbers...decline...are facts, not “clickbait”. As are people being “brought in” to LFL story group to “try different things”...as are delays, cancellations of series off D+ and mothballing the entire movie slate.

Frankly, use your Brain and demand more of yourself. “I don’t want to consider it” is not a valid jump off point into a discussion.
I'm not so sure about that. Sure you increase capacity and you will increase clicks into the studios, but I really wonder how overall attendance will fair. I don't see it increasing all that much. At least not enough for them to invest anything of any significance to the land.
It’s likely flat...so what would paying for more construction and perpetual staff do for the bottomline?...

And in the case of Florida, let’s have thing open for more than a few months before we declare victory...
Just like they have to let it breath a
Little in Disneyland...where they will beg to get people in there this summer.

Also - since they tied the two, any addition has to be for BOTH. Made that bed and you can’t convince disneylanders it’s a couch now

Last edited:

dizneycrazy09

Nope...you’re completely misreading what going on from the sidelines...which takes into heavy account the trajectory of the franchise since the late 90’s

And numbers...decline...are facts, not “clickbait”. As are people being “brought in” to LFL story group to “try different things”...as are delays, cancellations of series off D+ and mothballing the entire movie slate.

Frankly, use your Brain and demand more of yourself. “I don’t want to consider it” is not a valid jump off point into a discussion.

I'm not arguing the issues going on behind the scenes, I was speaking to the people (fans) that will still "show up." Is Star Wars the cash cow that Disney and Iger hoped it would be? Absolutely not. It is still one of their most profitable entities? Absolutely.

I sincerely hope that the argument isn't "Star Wars isn't popular anymore."

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Closing a water park and the mini-golf?

In other words, ensuring that no one on earth will have any reason to purchase Parkhopper Plus-level tickets?

Seems foolish and short-sighted to me. (Which, these days, means it's more than likely exactly what they'll do!)

Again, those are only contingencies that occur if Asian parks need to stay closed for weeks and weeks. As for cost of mini-golf... you're looking at probably four cast members per shift, two shifts per day. That's sixteen a day if both locations are "under refurbishment". Plus those locations require almost no maintenance when closed (as opposed to other outdoor locations). Extending the Typhoon Lagoon "refurbishment" significantly reduces labor costs on a much higher scale, but it still demands significant horticulture work.

Disneyfanman

I suspect that attendance trends are going to be troubling.

Disneyland is seeing the same reported Surge at opening, with soft crowds the rest of the day pattern, as HS. Until they solve the Boarding Groups strategy and get day visitors to purchase tickets and stay all day, attendance is a concern. At DL, which relies on locals more than WDW, this is very troubling. It will be interesting to hear the analysis when we get the next quarterly results call. I don't KNOW that this is the case, but multiple sites and business sources are reporting those observations.

They do count the "first gate click" in their daily attendance so maybe the gate numbers will be OK, but internally I bet that Disney is very concerned, and this is an unintended consequence of the Boarding Groups strategy. At WDW people can use park hoppers, but at DL they are potentially discouraging day visitors who spend more.

Combine this with the current closures in Asia, and Parks & Resorts is going to potentially show some pretty awful results. Fortunately, if Asia recovers and they figure out how to leverage GE for all day attendance, this will be a short term dip. Hopefully.

I admit that this is all speculation. My opinion only.

I REALLY believe that Disney will hold any GE expansions and defer uncommitted Capital investments until they figure all this out. They can finesse financial investments to be spread across additional quarters. It's gonna be all hands on deck. Reduce expenditures without, theoretically, impacting the Guest experience. That means anything and everything is on the table. Disney reports company revenues and income, and one division compensating for another is not exactly a new idea.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not arguing the issues going on behind the scenes, I was speaking to the people (fans) that will still "show up." Is Star Wars the cash cow that Disney and Iger hoped it would be? Absolutely not. It is still one of their most profitable entities? Absolutely.

I sincerely hope that the argument isn't "Star Wars isn't popular anymore."
They did not “show up” in increased numbers in anaheim. That is much more of a bellweather than Florida.

In the swamp, they are/were coming no matter what due to the length of lead time to the average traveler. And their attendance hasn’t been great for going on 5 years. A lot of reason for that....but in the case of avatar: they cannibalized
Crowds for the other three.

Now here’s the interesting scenario: some were undoubtedly scared away from Star Wars...and some bore into it because it was there. Disney is claiming it’s “a mistake” and the former far outweigh the latter. That’s pretty convenient.

But what if the “surge” was stronger than those on the fence?
What if the bad stench (no argument...at all) of episode 9 lingers longer than the surge?

No answers now as the the thing has operated for 4 months and got a boost when it didn’t need it: when it’s a mob scene anyway.

We shall see. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see “GUEST SPENDING UP!l and “attendance same” packaged in the next report - again.
That’s what you don’t want for the longterm. Prices have a ceiling...every new guest has monetary potential. The person is more advantageous than there wallet. Even to big shot Bobby.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I suspect that attendance trends are going to be troubling.

Disneyland is seeing the same reported Surge at opening, with soft crowds the rest of the day pattern, as HS. Until they solve the Boarding Groups strategy and get day visitors to purchase tickets and stay all day, attendance is a concern. At DL, which relies on locals more than WDW, this is very troubling. It will be interesting to hear the analysis when we get the next quarterly results call. I don't KNOW that this is the case, but multiple sites and business sources are reporting those observations.

They do count the "first gate click" in their daily attendance so maybe the gate numbers will be OK, but internally I bet that Disney is very concerned, and this is an unintended consequence of the Boarding Groups strategy. At WDW people can use park hoppers, but at DL they are potentially discouraging day visitors who spend more.

Combine this with the current closures in Asia, and Parks & Resorts is going to potentially show some pretty awful results. Fortunately, if Asia recovers and they figure out how to leverage GE for all day attendance, this will be a short term dip. Hopefully.

I admit that this is all speculation. My opinion only.

I REALLY believe that Disney will hold any GE expansions and defer uncommitted Capital investments until they figure all this out. They can finesse financial investments to be spread across additional quarters. It's gonna be all hands on deck. Reduce expenditures without, theoretically, impacting the Guest experience. That means anything and everything is on the table. Disney reports company revenues and income, and one division compensating for another is not exactly a new idea.

Yep...I see the same trend.

Same as mgm since 1989 and dak from 1999-2018. Get in, get the couple things and then get the hell out....half day feeder parks.

I think If the numbers are honest - and again there’s no official or SEC obligation to make them honest - then you may see a gate click effect at studios and bleed from Epcot and DAK.

Net zero was never the goal from Star Wars...as was episode 9 clearing maybe $200 after production, advertising and overhead costs.

That makes the last two Star Wars films net zero...If you believe in numbers 😉

Last edited:

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Yep...I see the same trend.

Same as mgm since 1989 and dak from 1999-2018. Get in, get the couple things and then get the hell out....half day feeder parks.

I think If the numbers are honest - and again there’s no official or SEC obligation to make them honest - then you may see a gate click effect at studios and bleed from Epcot and DAK.

Net zero was never the goal from Star Wars...as was episode 9 clearing maybe $200 after production, advertising and overhead costs.

Thad makes the last two Star Wars films net zero...If you believe in numbers 😉

The net profits from Solo + Rise of Skywalker, do in fact come out to about $0.00. I hadn't thought about that combination statistically... interesting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Closing a water park and the mini-golf?

In other words, ensuring that no one on earth will have any reason to purchase Parkhopper Plus-level tickets?

Seems foolish and short-sighted to me. (Which, these days, means it's more than likely exactly what they'll do!)
Waterparks never drove ticket sales outside of the British isles and Kissimmee...to be honest. That’s why they have tinkered with the “plus” style tickets for so long. At one point they were basically giving them for nothing in the UPH era.

That change to “metal” names wasn’t accidental...it was to provide a “brand” to each ticket that the new money masses like.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if people buy “platinum plus” not knowing the difference at all...just sounds better and the price is little different than the redonkukous base prices.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The net profits from Solo + Rise of Skywalker, do in fact come out to about $0.00. I hadn't thought about that combination statistically... interesting.
We “philosophical” Star Wars fans always look at the “long game”. That’s why everyone who doesn’t react in the moment is characterized as a fanboy in mom’s basement trapped in 1984...

There’s just a couple of problems with that belief...for another time...but one I’ll highlight is what is it doing to product?

As Mel brooks said: “where the REAL money is made”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom