Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

fillerup

I've seen a couple of posts talking about beaches opening after sunrise and closing well before sunset, but apparently this isn't the case.

Walked to BC last night around 9pm and the beaches were open with no CMs in sight. There were 5 or 6 guests including kids on the sand.

chiefs11

I've seen a couple of posts talking about beaches opening after sunrise and closing well before sunset, but apparently this isn't the case.

Walked to BC last night around 9pm and the beaches were open with no CMs in sight. There were 5 or 6 guests including kids on the sand.
Well, how do you expect it to be 'closed'? Should they build a fence on the land side of the sand too with a locking gate? Or do they need to post CMs out there all night long to shoo people away?

When I was at GF last week, there were people in the pool until 12am one night and 1am the next, but it 'closed' at 11.

fillerup

Well, how do you expect it to be 'closed'? Should they build a fence on the land side of the sand too with a locking gate? Or do they need to post CMs out there all night long to shoo people away?

When I was at GF last week, there were people in the pool until 12am one night and 1am the next, but it 'closed' at 11.

Did I say it should be closed? Did I ask for a land side fence or CMs to be posted? No, I didn't - I was merely posting information.

I don't think the beaches should be closed at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

chiefs11

Did I say it should be closed? Did I ask for a land side fence or CMs to be posted? No, I didn't - I was merely posting information.

I don't think the beaches should be closed at all.

Sorry......didn't mean to come off as a having an attitude... you seem to be saying the beach wasn't closed because there were people there. But that doesn't mean it isn't closed. What more can they do besides saying it is "closed"? People ignore rules and signs, and they will ignore pool/beach hours that aren't enforced by locked fences or security guards and castmembers. :rolleyes: So short of doing more to keep people out, some people are always gonna go there even when it's supposed to be closed.

And I agree with you that it shouldn't be "closed" at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

MotherOfBirds

I took these photos off of a Poly page. But here is the "new decorative fence" added in the past couple of days..and the new view. Definitely different.

Also- just to note, a semi large gator was spotted in the water outside of Tuvalu. It has been removed. I think people will be reporting sightings immediately now.

View attachment 148851 View attachment 148852

I can already hear the angry screams of Disney brides who don't want an ugly fence to ruin their wedding photos

21stamps

Question about POR/POFQ etc, is there already a fence around the river, or are they being added?

Also, the beach at the Swan and Dolphin, anyone have pics?

Last edited:

mimitchi33

I was looking at the Movies Under The Stars schedules, and none of them list Zootopia. I'm guessing it's all due to the alligator incident? It was the movie shown that night...

jrhwdw

OK, so I'm watching the local news last night in GREEN BAY WI and they did a story about Disney temporary removing the Gator characters, joke on JC, etc.

How did the Gator characters and JC get to the media?? Are other stations reporting this? Or was the station that I was watching just really late in reporting the original story?

Captain Neo

I took these photos off of a Poly page. But here is the "new decorative fence" added in the past couple of days..and the new view. Definitely different.

Also- just to note, a semi large gator was spotted in the water outside of Tuvalu. It has been removed. I think people will be reporting sightings immediately now.

View attachment 148851 View attachment 148852

talk about overreacting

JohnD

OK, so I'm watching the local news last night in GREEN BAY WI and they did a story about Disney temporary removing the Gator characters, joke on JC, etc.

How did the Gator characters and JC get to the media?? Are other stations reporting this? Or was the station that I was watching just really late in reporting the original story?

Local stations share pool stories especially if owned by the same company (eg Gannett).

Goofyernmost

It's also incorrect reporting. They stopped the joke... the characters are still there. No one in the news business bothers to verify what they are saying anymore. Rule of thumb. Do not believe anything that you see or hear and only half of what you see!.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Saw this on another site....I understand being cautious but this is getting a little ridiculous. Besides, it's only a matter of time before someone does something stupid and blames "the lack of signs" anyway. Thoughts?
Gator Signs 2.jpg
Gator Signs.jpg

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Also read on twitter that at Disney Junior: Live on Stage show, the audience now claps to scare away Capt Hook rather than doing the chomp or croc noises to simulate Tick Tock Croc. I will be there in a few days to confirm, but if true, this is getting way out of hand. I still feel bad for what happened but, is Disney going to pretend that crocs and gators don't exist from here on in?

daringstoic

Saw this on another site....I understand being cautious but this is getting a little ridiculous. Besides, it's only a matter of time before someone does something stupid and blames "the lack of signs" anyway. Thoughts?
View attachment 149178 View attachment 149179
Ugh. I hate that the signs are in the MK. If anything, they could attempt to theme them a little to fit in with the area. It's not like you can access the water there anyway without hopping over a barrier that's a lot sturdier than the ones that they're putting up at the resorts. I can't really blame Disney for being overboard though. I just hate that we live in a world where things like that are necessary to prevent lawsuits.

21stamps

Also read on twitter that at Disney Junior: Live on Stage show, the audience now claps to scare away Capt Hook rather than doing the chomp or croc noises to simulate Tick Tock Croc. I will be there in a few days to confirm, but if true, this is getting way out of hand. I still feel bad for what happened but dear God, is Disney going to pretend that crocs and gators don't exist from here on in?
Almost every action is "overboard". Close the lagoon while you search for the gator- understandable. Signs- understandable.
Everything else- overboard.

But they were obviously recommended to go overboard for a few reasons,

To avoid liability.
Also, as someone just said a couple of days ago on this thread- their mind is more at ease and they feel their children are more safe.

Unfortunately we do live in a world now where so many people want to "feel" protected. I emphasize the word Feel. Disney is responding to that 'want', probably so a few won't cancel their vacations or feel unsafe if going in the future.

ratherbeinwdw

I seem to be in the minority here, but there's nothing Disney can do related to this child's death that can be too much or over-reacting. I wouldn't care if they put up billboards, if it would save even one child. I've seen with my on eyes the gator that was hanging out by Splash. There's even video of a cm trying to scare one off at a spot where it easily could have hurt someone in the park. People assume since the alligators are in these spots and Disney doesn't seemed concerned, then they don't need to be cautious.
Fences can't stop the alligators, but they will put people on alert and give people the chance to avoid them.
Alligators have gone from endangered to 1.5 million in FL. With no control, this problem will continue to grow.
I guarantee you that if this was your child, then you wouldn't think any of this is over-reacting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom