Cell phones

Hcalvert

I don't like Disney's new policy of texting you when your table is ready at a TS restaurant. I was staying at Poly in June and went to Ohana. My family left their cell phones in the room as we generally do not bring them to the table. The greeter got an attitude with me because I didn't want to give her my cell number after I told her that we would just wait. She acted like I was inconveniencing her. I told her that we did not have our cell phones with us and she picked up a cell phone policy sign and told me that was how they were doing it now. I couldn't help but wonder what they do (other than let people sit in the chairs and wait) if someone does not have a cell phone. I looked around while I was at Ohana and I noticed a good amount of families staring at their phones rather than conversing with each other. I thought it was sad.

Rumrunner

Ive been thinking about this since the new game has been talked about.
How much do you hate people standing in the middle of the walk way on their cell phones?
How many people have bumped right into you because they are looking at their phone?
Isnt the idea of a vacation to get away from your cell phone?
Shouldn't you be looking at the beautiful world around you instead of your cell phone?

Whats odd is Disney is forcing you to use your cell phone more and more. You would think they would want people to not use them and instead enjoy the immersion. Now if you want a fast pass, make a reservation, make changes to several things, see wait times you have to use an app. Now they have a game you can play in the parks. You can even order your food on an app and have it ready when you get there. I'm sure there are others I'm not even thinking of.

Several older people (I'm making a general statement I know some older people use a cell phone like a tween) my parents, and some older people (and some younger people) have never texted never loaded an app or even understand how to use it. Ive been stopped by several older people for tech support. My parents have pay per use flip phones (emergency phones more than anything). They go to the parks and enjoy them like they always have.. but the last time we went I had to do everything so they weren't even aware of all of the cell phone requirements that are becoming the norm.
Was just curious of others feelings.
It is sad that people with their face staring at their cell phones are missing as much if not more by not being a part of the life around them.

threvester

Do you want a shocker? I am in my 30s and................I do NOT own a cell phone. My wife is slightly younger and..............she does NOT own a cell phone. Crazy huh? Are we happier and more free than people with cell phones? Oh for sure, no questions about it. We have a "phone" that isn't working anymore and is only used as a camera. Basically, it is our camera. It is an old phone when we did have a cell phone. I check my email on my PC, I have a home phone, I have Facebook, I have an answering machine at home. If you can't get a hold of me, then you are just dumb.

It wasn't that long ago that the world was a simpler place. Remember the movie Scream? Nev Campbell's character had a horrified look on her face when she discovered her boyfriend had a cell phone on him (mainly because she had gotten disturbing phone calls and assumed it was him). But her reaction said it all. This was 1996, I mean just 22 years ago, and a teen slasher flick was depicted in a way where it was a shocker for a teenager to own a cell phone. My question is, how have we gone so low in our lives? Everyone my age grew up without a cell phone. We loved it. Childhood was a blast. Oh sure, there were people addicted to cocaine, cigarettes, coffee, drugs, alcohol and such back then too that had a "tick" to them. But now the new "tick" is constantly needing to check your phone and not seeing the world around you. This is why we aren't happy anymore and this is why the new generation has the most superficial friendship and relationships in our lifetimes.
You are not alone. I have never owned any cell phone and never once wished I had one.

LUVofDIS

Do you want a shocker? I am in my 30s and................I do NOT own a cell phone. My wife is slightly younger and..............she does NOT own a cell phone. Crazy huh? Are we happier and more free than people with cell phones? Oh for sure, no questions about it. We have a "phone" that isn't working anymore and is only used as a camera. Basically, it is our camera. It is an old phone when we did have a cell phone. I check my email on my PC, I have a home phone, I have Facebook, I have an answering machine at home. If you can't get a hold of me, then you are just dumb.

It wasn't that long ago that the world was a simpler place. Remember the movie Scream? Nev Campbell's character had a horrified look on her face when she discovered her boyfriend had a cell phone on him (mainly because she had gotten disturbing phone calls and assumed it was him). But her reaction said it all. This was 1996, I mean just 22 years ago, and a teen slasher flick was depicted in a way where it was a shocker for a teenager to own a cell phone. My question is, how have we gone so low in our lives? Everyone my age grew up without a cell phone. We loved it. Childhood was a blast. Oh sure, there were people addicted to cocaine, cigarettes, coffee, drugs, alcohol and such back then too that had a "tick" to them. But now the new "tick" is constantly needing to check your phone and not seeing the world around you. This is why we aren't happy anymore and this is why the new generation has the most superficial friendship and relationships in our lifetimes.

I have owned a cell phone for many years. I only use it when I need/want to. I am a completely happy person with one. I don't let it rule my life, I don't need to stay connected 24/7. I also don't belong to any social media outlets. I text, call or email people when I want to or need to communicate.

I feel, and this is just my opinion, that Facebook, twitter, etc. are a waste of time for me. Because I don't need or care to connect with as many people as I can. Of course I am on this forum, but all the people here have the same desire. When people tell me they have 100's of friends or people following them, well I just don't get it. But than again I know many people don't get some of the things I do, I myself don't get some of the things I do.

Now my wife, she is on many of the social media outlets and spends many hours a day on them. As do all many if not all of my friends and family, I am the only one I know that doesn't participate. That could all change any time though.

Though I got a little side tracked, my point is, the way I use my smart phone makes me happy, I don't think I would be any more happier without it. It is all about whether you control your phone or your phone controls you. I use it as a tool. I don't have the need to answer every call or have to return every text right away. I use when there is down time. If there is anyone who needs me 24/7, they have more issues than I can assist them with. I just think that your statement, that you are happier or more free than people that have cell phones is an arrogant statement. I really am not saying that in a mean or belittling way, I am just stating how I perceive the statement.

I would bet that people who don't use computers or watch TV or maybe live in a forest with no other human contact could say the same about you and the rest of us. Having less or being more secluded does not necessarily make someone more free or happy. There is way more to life and people than that, at least I hope so.

Sorry for the soapbox but for some reason it just rubbed me wrong.

MomofPrincessGrace

I am 26 and was 15 when I got my first cell phone. It was a Nextel that did not have texting capabilities and I could really only use it after 9 p.m. when it was free minutes or if someone called me (free incoming calls). There were many times that I was glad that I had a cell phone because it was used as an emergency line. If my car broke down, or got stuck, or if I just needed something I knew my parents were just a call away. Nowadays I am glad that the technology we have exists. I didn't get a smart phone until about 4 years ago. I enjoy knowing that I can be reached while away from my work desk if there is an emergency with my daughter at school. I also enjoy being able to have the internet at my fingertips. Gone are the days having to print off mapquest directions, trying to find a payphone (which are rapidly disappearing), or hoping that a good samaritan will stop to help if you are stranded on the side of the road.

I'm not glued to my phone 24/7, but I am glad that if I needed to be connected, I could. To expect the world to stop progressing because you do not want to get up to date will only be an issue for you in the long run. When my daughter gets old enough to be dropped off at a place without me, you can guarantee she will have a phone, even if its a basic one, so she can contact me if she needs to.

Lirael

While I'm not a fan of focusing on phones inside a disney park, I think most are complaining about behavior that is older than phones.

-People suddenly stop walking or walk not looking up? Yeah, that has always happened at disney. Before people would be looking down at maps or looking down at stuff they just bought. They'd also randomly stop walking too. To take picures, to look at the map, because they realized they were walking in the wrong direction etcetc

-Flash on rides? Always happened with cameras

-Filming stuff? Again, cameras

-Not talking to each other because everyone is on their phone? Okay, this is a phone thing, but it just shows an issue with the relationship between people if, as soon as they have an alternative to talking to each other they go and pick it. Besides, it's not bothering other people, eesh

I can't be bothered to now go on and on about how I'm XX years old and like cellphones because of reasons.

Cell phones are useful tools. Like any useful tools, when in the hands of selfish people, they may bother others (flash photos etc). It's not a phone problem, it's a people problem.

Even if phones were magically banned from disney, people would just find alternative ways to continue with their annoying behavior.

ColinP29

Interesting discussion, so I'm going to wade in in favour of 'Cell phones'.

I want a fast pass, then I can use my phone and not have to wait in line behind the others who also want a fast pass. I can see right away what is available rather than waiting in line.

I can order food without waiting in line. I can check ride times at any point and plan accordingly. I can check the weather at any point and plan accordingly. I can keep in contact with my girlfriend who takes our daughter on one ride while I take my son on another.

The world is changing and the majority of it (it exists outside of Disney and this forum) have a cell phone. That's not discussion, that is fact. You'll struggle to find any company that does not offer some kind of service via a smart phone. Disney is keeping up with the world.

Just because you do not like something, does not make it wrong. A number of people will still argue that the world is flat.

ppete1975

Original Poster
Interesting discussion, so I'm going to wade in in favour of 'Cell phones'.

I want a fast pass, then I can use my phone and not have to wait in line behind the others who also want a fast pass. I can see right away what is available rather than waiting in line.

I can order food without waiting in line. I can check ride times at any point and plan accordingly. I can check the weather at any point and plan accordingly. I can keep in contact with my girlfriend who takes our daughter on one ride while I take my son on another.

The world is changing and the majority of it (it exists outside of Disney and this forum) have a cell phone. That's not discussion, that is fact. You'll struggle to find any company that does not offer some kind of service via a smart phone. Disney is keeping up with the world.

Just because you do not like something, does not make it wrong. A number of people will still argue that the world is flat.
Great points!! I wasn't saying anything is wrong, just sparking a discussion :) I was just noticing that it felt like Disney is wanting you to use your phone more and more.

HouCuseChickie

My first experience with a cell phone was when my dad got one of those brick style ones for work where you had to put the magnetic antenna on the roof of your car. My first cell phone looked a lot like this Motorola one...although, mine was chunkier!

motorola.jpg

I joke about it now, but I didn't want to run the battery down, so I just kept it turned off unless I needed to make a call...with this crazy notion that it should still ring while off. :hilarious: I know...not the brightest thing ;)

All this being said, I think I'm more tethered to my camera when I'm on vacation. I don't like broadcasting my vacations live to my friends/family and I don't do a ton of texting. If I'm at Disney, most of my phone time is playing with dining reservations and fast passes...which really isn't much of the day. I don't see myself being held up by people on their phones at WDW any more than in the real world and still maintain that it's far worse in traffic than anywhere else.

Last edited:

Phonedave

My first experience with a cell phone was when my dad got one of those brick style ones for work where you had to put the magnetic antenna on the roof of your car. My first cell phone looked a lot like this Motorola one...although, mine was chunkier!

View attachment 294381

I joke about it now, but I didn't want to run the battery down, so I just kept it turned off unless I needed to make a call...with this crazy notion that it should still ring while off. :hilarious: I know...not the brightest thing ;)

All, this being said, I think I'm more tethered to my camera when I'm on vacation. I don't like broadcasting my vacations live to my friends/family and I don't do a ton of texting. If I'm at Disney, most of my phone time is playing with dining reservations and fast passes...which really isn't much of the day. I don't see myself being held up by people on their phones at WDW any more than in the real world and still maintain that it's far worse in traffic than anywhere else.

My first was a Bag Phone. When I started with Bell Atlantic, they gave me a company phone - it was about 6 lbs, came in a bag, and had a battery the size of a brick. It was also about 3 watts. and had a corded handset.

Phonedave

I guess I might as well chime in with my two cents as well.

1) You don't need a cell phone to stand in the middle of the sidewalk blocking traffic. You can do it with a camera, a map, or apparently by staring off into the middle-distance. People blocking your way at WDW is nothing new. The issue is, the parks have become MUCH more crowded, so now there is much less room to go around people.

2) The experience of WDW has changed greatly over the years. Cell phones are just a tool that is indicative of these changes. WDW has always done two things - tried to keep you on property to get as much cash, and provided you with as much information as possible to boost guest satisfaction and generate more cash. From manual queue wait updates, to automatic, to MDE. From a sandwich board showing what restaurants had waits, to on-line ADRs, to MDE. From friendly CM's telling you what attractions had short waits, to FastPass, to FP+. it is all geared to having guests schedule things in such a way that it keeps them on property and engaged in the parks, where the money is made. Mobile devices are just currently the best way to do so.

If you want to really relax, go to an all inclusive resort. Everything is paid for, there is a limited population, and they don't have to keep pushing to get you to spend. You go, you do what you want, when you want, and you leave your cell phone (and all that other stuff too, such as schedules) in your room and instead enjoy the world around you at a slower pace.

-dave

Hcalvert

I mean, its good and bad that now you can have a camera in your pocket too.

So wait, do they not still have the little pagers they can give out? I thought I had one of those as recently as March there.

There has to be some other way they would contact guests, as I can't imagine you can expect every customer to have a phone w them on vacation. But they get quite busy there (and because its all u can eat you get a lot of awful people) so I can get them not wanting everyone crowding around the host stand or lobby (especially when you can go spend $$ in the gift shop/arcade until they page you!)

I get not wanting to do phones at the table. There's no 'rule' between wife and I but if either one of us gives it more than a cursory glance or 2, they can expect the other to politely tell them to 86 the phone. However...again some of the people I have sat next to at Ohana...maybe it's best that some of these people are preoccupied so that the rest of us don't have to deal w them!

The buzzers are not an option anymore. We didn't have our phones at 'Ohana as we left them in our room charging. The other TS restaurant that asked us for our number was Sci-Fi Diner for lunch, which used to have buzzers too. I don't remember any of the other TS restaurants asking me for it, but we always arrive right before our reservation time and usually do not have to wait very long. I get the use of texts as they have a greater range than the buzzers and one of us usually has a cell phone with us. If they allowed us to check-in for our reservation with a text, then I would gladly share with them my number. We would also make sure to be in the near vicinity of the restaurant to arrive in a timely manner after their text that our table is ready.

Last edited:

LUVofDIS

All this being said, I think I'm more tethered to my camera when I'm on vacation. I don't like broadcasting my vacations live to my friends/family and I don't do a ton of texting. If I'm at Disney, most of my phone time is playing with dining reservations and fast passes...which really isn't much of the day. I don't see myself being held up by people on their phones at WDW any more than in the real world and still maintain that it's far worse in traffic than anywhere else.

I personally don't believe in rubbing it in others faces that I am on vacation while they are working. To me, that is just mean.

I to am, I like the way you stated it, tethered to my camera, I carry around 30 pounds of camera equipment on me while in the park. I know, crazy.

But I do follow simple rules for myself, I never just stop to take a picture, I move to the side or look to see if anyone is behind me. I never make people wait while I am taking a shot. This is their vacation also. I never have used a flash in the parks, my camera is the type that does not have a built in flash. I personally don't like flashes, well at least the type that cameras have, hehe. This year I might bring my hot shoe flash because we have been staying in the parks after they close and a flash would help a little.

CoreNovawarAMM

I use my cell phone at WDW mostly for booking FP’s and looking at wait times. Sometimes I look at those things while waiting in line, but not all the time.

Minnesota disney fan

View attachment 294381

LOL, those old phones bring back memories. When I worked on call as an RN, I had to take one of those big, heavy box phones everywhere, even if I went on a walk!!!! If the phone rang while I was driving, I quickly pulled off the road to answer it. So, I had to laugh at your old phones. Only law enforcement or doctors or nurses had those bag phones where I lived.

Phonedave

Nicht so, meine Muttergesellschaft deutsche telekom ist länger im Mobilfunkgeschäft als die meisten.

My German is worse than my Spanish (and that is saying something). Deutsche Telekom is a large mobile company? Is that what you are getting at?

OK, so it is, but what does that have to do with Mobile Devices, or Handsets, or Cell Phones, or whatever they want to call them?

I see the term "Mobile Device" quite often in the US, and in England, a common term is "Mobile" - as in "I'll call you on the mobile"

Eh, maybe I should change me screen name, as I am technically no longer in telecomm. But "broadcast video, audio, and media transport dave" does not quite have the same ring to it.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom