Cell phones

ppete1975

Original Poster
Ive been thinking about this since the new game has been talked about.
How much do you hate people standing in the middle of the walk way on their cell phones?
How many people have bumped right into you because they are looking at their phone?
Isnt the idea of a vacation to get away from your cell phone?
Shouldn't you be looking at the beautiful world around you instead of your cell phone?

Whats odd is Disney is forcing you to use your cell phone more and more. You would think they would want people to not use them and instead enjoy the immersion. Now if you want a fast pass, make a reservation, make changes to several things, see wait times you have to use an app. Now they have a game you can play in the parks. You can even order your food on an app and have it ready when you get there. I'm sure there are others I'm not even thinking of.

Several older people (I'm making a general statement I know some older people use a cell phone like a tween) my parents, and some older people (and some younger people) have never texted never loaded an app or even understand how to use it. Ive been stopped by several older people for tech support. My parents have pay per use flip phones (emergency phones more than anything). They go to the parks and enjoy them like they always have.. but the last time we went I had to do everything so they weren't even aware of all of the cell phone requirements that are becoming the norm.
Was just curious of others feelings.

CaptainAmerica

Whats odd is Disney is forcing you to use your cell phone more and more.
I agree with the sentiment of your entire post except for this sentence.

Disney isn't trying to force people onto their phones. They're observing that people are on their phones anyways, and they figure that they'd rather have you engaging with their content than someone else's. I don't think they're trying to drive guest behavior, I think they're trying to respond to it.

horizons82

I'm in my early 40s and I love technology. However, anytime I want to do something fun or unwind (watch a movie, go to a park, have dinner out, go to WDW, etc.), I do everything possible to avoid being tethered or connected to my cell phone, so it is always turned off or left at home during those times.

Unfortunately, it is now fairly essential to have a device with you to use the MDE app while at WDW, but the way I've gotten around the temptation of checking e-mail or getting phone calls is to install the app on a non-phone device like my iPod. With WiFi in the parks it's been the best compromise for me to be able to use the app when needed, yet it isn't a phone so I won't get calls or voicemails and I keep the e-mail and everything else turned off.

s8film40

This is one of the reasons I really don't like WDW as much as I used to. It's pretty much required to be on the phone quite a bit if you want to get FP's. Other parks I can just relax and enjoy, I don't have to plan my day in an app. I enjoy using my phone for various different things in the parks, but MDE is an obstacle rather than an aide in enjoying time in the parks.

Musical Mermaid

People suddenly stopping in the walkway to do anything is an irritation. It isn’t just phones, it’s any type of distraction. If people need to look at a map, tie their shoes, or come to a sudden stop for another reason while people are walking behind them, it’s better to move out of the way. I dislike big groups all walking slowly, side by side, covering the whole path more though because it’s more difficult to maneuver around them than one distracted person.

As for how much they’re needed for the parks, people can still choose to use the fastpass kiosks, walk around to see wait times, stand in line for food, and other tasks, but it does make certain things much easier. I’m not the biggest cell phone user, but if I can save time waiting in lines by using the app to get more fastpasses, that makes it worth it to me. On days where I just want to take it more slowly and not go on as many attractions, I use it less or mainly for the camera. In the end, it’s up to everyone how they want to spend their time at Disney and you just have to weigh the pros and cons and see what works best for you, phone or no phone.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree with the sentiment of your entire post except for this sentence.

Disney isn't trying to force people onto their phones. They're observing that people are on their phones anyways, and they figure that they'd rather have you engaging with their content than someone else's. I don't think they're trying to drive guest behavior, I think they're trying to respond to it.
This^^^

Seems like everyone is on their phones regardless of age or location.

I attended an 80's concert over the weekend and I would say at 47, I fell right about at the median age of the guests at the concert. Quite literally everyone was on their phones during the duration of the concert.

Prior to the concert the wife and I bumped around St Augustine for a couple of hours and we saw the same thing...a seemingly endless stream of people with their faces in their phones. Saw a dude nearly step out into traffic in front of the Castillo de San Marcos as apparently whatever he was looking at was more engrosing than the world around him.

eliza61nyc

Question
Why do you need mde alot. I'm never on my 0hon
This^^^

I attended an 80's concert over the weekend and I would say at 47, I fell right about at the median age of the guests at the concert. Quite literally everyone was on their phones during the duration of the concert.

Prior to the concert the wife and I bumped around St Augustine for a couple of hours and we saw the same thing...a seemingly endless stream of people with their faces in their phones. Saw a dude nearly step out into traffic in front of the Castillo de San Marcos as apparently whatever he was looking at was more engrosing than the world around him.

What gets me is folks in the city. I live in Philly. I take my dog out for his last walk around 10-10:30 pm. I am always astounded by folks who walk around at night in the middle of the 5th largest city in the country with either their face in their phone or the earbuds in so loud they can't hear. yeah my neighborhood is relatively safe but boo-boo the bad guy travels now.
I've seen folks step out in front of Septa buses, trip. you name it.

anywho... I'm one who is constantly battling my kids to pay attention to the here and now.
I don't use it so much for MDE, generally once my plans are made I don't change them last minute. Rarely am I able to score a second set of fp's for the headliners so no need for me to check mde.

ppete1975

Original Poster
This^^^

Concerts are the worst... everyone holding up their phones so you have these glowing orbs around 6 foot high because everyone holds them up....
Seriously.... Youre never going to watch this again, youre only going to hear the off key person beside you who is singing, youre going to get bumped around and jostled.
Put the phone down and enjoy the concert...
People-at-Concert-Recording-With-Smartphones.jpg

dieboy

By trying to make them use their phone more .. is a poorly coded, thinly veiled attempt to appease the masses by Disney.

Tomi-Rocket

I don’t find that I use my phone too much more in the parks. I do for planning but once there, I don’t have it out constantly, except to take pics. I might check for a FP once my initial 3 are used but I’ve never really had good luck with that for the rides we REALLY want, lol. I find those are usually gone for the day and it doesn’t take long to find out nothing is available, lol.

Walt Disney1955

Do you want a shocker? I am in my 30s and................I do NOT own a cell phone. My wife is slightly younger and..............she does NOT own a cell phone. Crazy huh? Are we happier and more free than people with cell phones? Oh for sure, no questions about it. We have a "phone" that isn't working anymore and is only used as a camera. Basically, it is our camera. It is an old phone when we did have a cell phone. I check my email on my PC, I have a home phone, I have Facebook, I have an answering machine at home. If you can't get a hold of me, then you are just dumb.

It wasn't that long ago that the world was a simpler place. Remember the movie Scream? Nev Campbell's character had a horrified look on her face when she discovered her boyfriend had a cell phone on him (mainly because she had gotten disturbing phone calls and assumed it was him). But her reaction said it all. This was 1996, I mean just 22 years ago, and a teen slasher flick was depicted in a way where it was a shocker for a teenager to own a cell phone. My question is, how have we gone so low in our lives? Everyone my age grew up without a cell phone. We loved it. Childhood was a blast. Oh sure, there were people addicted to cocaine, cigarettes, coffee, drugs, alcohol and such back then too that had a "tick" to them. But now the new "tick" is constantly needing to check your phone and not seeing the world around you. This is why we aren't happy anymore and this is why the new generation has the most superficial friendship and relationships in our lifetimes.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Do you want a shocker? I am in my 30s and................I do NOT own a cell phone. My wife is slightly younger and..............she does NOT own a cell phone. Crazy huh? Are we happier and more free than people with cell phones? Oh for sure, no questions about it. We have a "phone" that isn't working anymore and is only used as a camera. Basically, it is our camera. It is an old phone when we did have a cell phone. I check my email on my PC, I have a home phone, I have Facebook, I have an answering machine at home. If you can't get a hold of me, then you are just dumb.

It wasn't that long ago that the world was a simpler place. Remember the movie Scream? Nev Campbell's character had a horrified look on her face when she discovered her boyfriend had a cell phone on him (mainly because she had gotten disturbing phone calls and assumed it was him). But her reaction said it all. This was 1996, I mean just 22 years ago, and a teen slasher flick was depicted in a way where it was a shocker for a teenager to own a cell phone. My question is, how have we gone so low in our lives? Everyone my age grew up without a cell phone. We loved it. Childhood was a blast. Oh sure, there were people addicted to cocaine, cigarettes, coffee, drugs, alcohol and such back then too that had a "tick" to them. But now the new "tick" is constantly needing to check your phone and not seeing the world around you. This is why we aren't happy anymore and this is why the new generation has the most superficial friendship and relationships in our lifetimes.
《《Reads this on a cellphone》》

eliza61nyc

Next question:

Is it me or does anyone else think Disney parks have the worst wifi capability on the planet. Now I'm pathologically cheap so I do have the best cell phone plan so that maybe it but it seems like if I try to even remotely check something it takes so long, why bother?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Concerts are the worst... everyone holding up their phones so you have these glowing orbs around 6 foot high because everyone holds them up....
Seriously.... Youre never going to watch this again, youre only going to hear the off key person beside you who is singing, youre going to get bumped around and jostled.
Put the phone down and enjoy the concert...
People-at-Concert-Recording-With-Smartphones.jpg
If they don't have the video, how else will they prove they were there?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
When are they going to stop calling these things cell phones and start calling them pocket computers with a phone feature?

It's interesting as most large providers call them hand terminals, it's just the customers that maintain the fiction that they are cell phones while data traffic exceeds voice.

ChanduTail

People who use their phones as flash cameras on dark rides or hold them above their heads during fireworks are rude. However, I often see people getting really belligerent about other people doing something that doesn't affect them in any way, like taking selfies or pictures of their food. I don't care if someone uses their phone constantly & never looks up. If that's how they want to spend their vacation, that's fine, as long as they don't negatively impact someone else's experience.

We heard a comment on the bus once that a couple was "ignoring each other literally all the time" because they spent the ride on their phones. I didn't really understand that. They had probably been together in the parks all day & were taking a break to catch up on other things. I don't know how anyone knows what anyone else does "literally all the time" unless they follow them around for their entire vacation :p

Keeping in touch with friends & family at home is part of traveling for me. Social media is fun. If it's stressful, or if you feel pressure to be connected, you probably need a break.

Edit: I checked out the new Play Disney app & there are lots of games for families to play together while waiting in line, which I think is great. We always played games like I Spy, Ghost, etc while waiting.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom