Catering to the Uber Rich

Jrb1979

Original Poster

As much as it sounds like a cool trip the 100k cost per person is insane. I'm sure they will fill this trip.

The point stands they really have lost touch on what made them so big and great. I know why they are going after them cause that clientele has money. At the same time how many of them are interested in the product? I'm not saying to lower prices but cater to those who love your product.

Touchdown

Not for me, sounds cool but not 100k cool. At least they threw a trip to the Skywalker Ranch as an exclusive.

I have zero wishes to go to China under its current political landscape. So no price would hook me, but otherwise need to knock the costs down considerably.

Also why are they ending with WDW? Talk about showing your weakness, MK is going to look terrible after visiting DL, TDL and DP. Should start there and end in CA.

Lilofan

As much as it sounds like a cool trip the 100k cost per person is insane. I'm sure they will fill this trip.

The point stands they really have lost touch on what made them so big and great. I know why they are going after them cause that clientele has money. At the same time how many of them are interested in the product? I'm not saying to lower prices but cater to those who love your product.
Just like a limited edition Ferrari, Lamborghini , etc, all made will be pre sold.

SteveAZee

$110K doesn't seem that out of line... traveling (I'm guessing) 25,000 miles in a "VIP-configured Boeing 757" with chef, physician, etc for just 75 people? All the meals, hotels, VIP park admission, transportation to and from all the destinations. $5000/day per person doesn't seem out of line for what someone would be getting.

It's not like 75 people are going get in anyone's way.

Personally, I like the idea of it, though I don't imagine I'd ever feel comfortable paying the money.

Now, if you want to talk carbon footprint...

JoeCamel

$110K doesn't seem that out of line... traveling (I'm guessing) 25,000 miles in a "VIP-configured Boeing 757" with chef, physician, etc for just 75 people? All the meals, hotels, VIP park admission, transportation to and from all the destinations. $5000/day per person doesn't seem out of line for what someone would be getting.

Personally, I like the idea of it, though I don't imagine I'd ever feel comfortable paying the money.

But to see the same rides over and over with different versions? I guess to check a box but otherwise I dunnnoo....
I can say Disney knows how to make people feel special and valued so if that is your thing but they don't go out of their way to provide that to joe sixpack

muddyrivers

I also hope that for the price they're paying the customers will be able to go right to the front of the line on any attraction. None of this Genie+ paid Fastpass stuff. Though knowing Disney, you'll definitely have to pour out several additional Euros when you stop at DLP if you want to use Fastpass.

SteveAZee

But to see the same rides over and over with different versions? I guess to check a box but otherwise I dunnnoo....
I can say Disney knows how to make people feel special and valued so if that is your thing but they don't go out of their way to provide that to joe sixpack
That's a good point about seeing the same rides over and over, especially in a compressed timeframe like this. I personally do like seeing the variations of DLR vs WDW, but those trips are usually spread a few years apart, not days. Also, jet lag has got to affect the enjoyment of the trip.

It'll be interesting to see if this thing gets repeated, or this is 'one and done' for Disney.

I think they're looking for revenue/profit centers. For better or worse, they don't seem to be going after Joe Sixpacks any more, unless they start selling highly marked up six packs of Mickey Beer. ;)

mightynine

A take I enjoyed reading on this, because it brings up a very good point, IMO - if you can afford to do this, you can do it yourself, and have a truly personalized experience and be on no one's schedule but your own and stay at true luxury accommodations, not a Disney Deluxe.

It does feel like they're curious to see if they can fill up the plane and if not, cancel it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

I expect there's going to be some sort of contest where there will be up to 4 seats given away as the Grand Prize.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I also hope that for the price they're paying the customers will be able to go right to the front of the line on any attraction. None of this Genie+ paid Fastpass stuff. Though knowing Disney, you'll definitely have to pour out several additional Euros when you stop at DLP if you want to use Fastpass.
Read the article and then go to the AbD website -- all the deets are there.

DisneyHead123

I don’t understand Disney’s thinking in doing this, especially at a time when they are being criticized for never ending price increases. The amount they will make on this has to be a drop in the bucket for them, and will be waaaay outmatched by the negative publicity of “Look at Disney catering to the rich!! What would Walt say!” It seems like they are going to a great deal of effort just for bad PR here.

cranbiz

ABD has always been on the pricier side of things. Most of their adventures are spectacular though.

there are fans who can afford it will go, you might even get someone who really can't afford it going.

Personally, I don't see the issue with it. Also, personally, I won't be it's target market.

Maybe some day I will get to Tokyo, that is a bucket list item, wouldn't mind going to Paris and HK. Not all that interested in Shanghai.

peter11435

I don’t understand Disney’s thinking in doing this, especially at a time when they are being criticized for never ending price increases. The amount they will make on this has to be a drop in the bucket for them, and will be waaaay outmatched by the negative publicity of “Look at Disney catering to the rich!! What would Walt say!” It seems like they are going to a great deal of effort just for bad PR here.
Adventures by Disney has been catering to the “rich” for nearly two decades.

DisneyHead123

Adventures by Disney has been catering to the “rich” for nearly two decades.
Disney has always been expensive, yes, but this reaches the level of publicity stunt that seems specifically designed to get them in the news. And again, why? Are they thinking this would be a good look? Make Disney seem more “exclusive”, or what? I’m not understanding their rationale here.

erstwo

There's no way Disney just offered this up out of the blue - as in - there was no Disney board meeting where someone went "Who's the good idea fairy today and what's your idea? Oh, a $100k round the world trip to all the parks? Great! Let's offer it and see who bites."
Disney has already identified a market for this, they know approximately how many people might sign up for this, what they'll profit from this (dollar wise and PR wise AND how that PR will translate into dollars) and has decided this fits into their short and long term goals for some section of the company. I'm betting it came from ABD feedback, but I have no way of knowing.
Could Disney be wrong despite all the research and development that went into this? Yes. But again, it's not like they haven't thought it out.

Lilofan

There's no way Disney just offered this up out of the blue - as in - there was no Disney board meeting where someone went "Who's the good idea fairy today and what's your idea? Oh, a $100k round the world trip to all the parks? Great! Let's offer it and see who bites."
Disney has already identified a market for this, they know approximately how many people might sign up for this, what they'll profit from this (dollar wise and PR wise AND how that PR will translate into dollars) and has decided this fits into their short and long term goals for some section of the company. I'm betting it came from ABD feedback, but I have no way of knowing.
Could Disney be wrong despite all the research and development that went into this? Yes. But again, it's not like they haven't thought it out.
A senior citizen from FL nicknamed Mama Lee who lost her husband, sold her home with 10 acres , then lived on a cruise ship for several years sailing around the world, visiting different ports . She paid I think less than $170K per year. That seems like a better deal.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

A senior citizen from FL nicknamed Mama Lee who lost her husband, sold her home with 10 acres , then lived on a cruise ship for several years sailing around the world, visiting different ports . She paid I think less than $170K per year. That seems like a better deal.
For a stateroom? I think not

Vegas Disney Fan

I don’t think Disney will have any problem finding 75 people to do this, I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t sell out before ever reaching the sales to the public.

For a stateroom? I think not

It’s possible on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc… definitely not on Disney though. My gf did a 7 day Alaska cruise with a veranda on RC and it was under $2500, that would be $130k for the year, inside room would probably be even cheaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom