Castle Ramp Smoking Section Eliminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryEyes

I will do what I always do.... Take the cig out of your hand and stump it out.... Being 6'5 with a great glare avoids any thoughts of come backs...

And I'll do the same with your bottle of spray tan and "How to Be Like Jean-Claude Van Damme" book. Geez, smoking always brings out the internet tough guys.

For the record, I quit smoking more than a year ago. It's just that I've refused to become self-righteous, like so many on here, despite their own problems, like poorly raised and unprepared for the real world children.

wogwog

The next one I would like to see gone is the one by Aloha Isle. High traffic, high demand for seating at times, cherished product that is dependent on taste buds: does not equal smoking section in my opinion.

So where should the smoking areas be? If we have to have them, where are the smartest places?

The corner between Tony's and the Hat Shop where the FP machines used to be for Town Square M&G's?

Back in the alley way that is between Pirates and stroller parking?
One of the problems at finding a workable location is cast members can not be forced to pass close to a smoking area when going on or off stage. I am not sure of Florida law but I have worked in other styes where I know they have a precise distance around entrances to business or public facilities where smoking is prohibited. WDW managers I know socially tell me that is why even smoking areas for cast back stage have been reduced and moved to remote areas. Both of your suggested locations are too close to a cast portal. This issue is an ongoing discussion I am told. No easy answers that would please everyone.

Kman101

As both a smoker and non-smoker, that area never made sense to me. I prefer areas tucked away. I don't like the one on the walkway between Barnstormer and Tomorrowland. People still walk the path and right through where the smokers are, not really aware of it. That one should be changed.

Why did they do away with the one by Space Mountain? That tucked off area where you walk down and can sit on the tree planter seating. That was completely out of the way and a good spot for a smoking area. It was empty last time I was in the MK so no one is using it to even sit and relax.

MMlvr

While I really don't have a problem with them having smoking areas, this one spot really bugged me so I'm glad its gone.

I do agree with this it was just the wrong place!!!

CaptainAmerica

I think about 42,000 individuals and their families would disagree with you ... and that's just from last year.
The science is very clear. There's no link between secondhand smoke and cancer, let alone secondhand smoke outdoors. The 1993 EPA report that started the secondhand smoke hysteria has been shown to be bad science at best and flat-out fraudulent at worst.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf...-no-link-between-secondhand-smoke-and-cancer/

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/secondhand-smoke-charade

AmyALK

I no longer smoke, but, I once did and my memory is pretty good. I hope you don't get jubilant because for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. They have made it almost impossible to fit in a cigarette break in MK anymore. Oh, I know you are all saying... hooray, but, like I said, don't be surprised to see more nicotine addicted humans giving up and just smoking in any area that they happen to be standing in. Let's treat these people like scum while we add alcohol to the grounds everywhere. I mean that has never caused any problems either socially or physically has it? I won't even mention how badly that withdrawal can affect mood. As long as we don't mind listening to people whose patience is shredded to the bone, I guess letting them deal with that anxiety will be ok.

From my observations smokers are going way out of there way to not offend anyone, yet, everyone finds it necessary to just keep kicking them. I did not see even one person smoking outside of a smoking area on my trip this month. Not one. I don't even have a problem with them moving it from that location, because, that was/is not a smart place to put it, but, by not replacing it someplace else everyone has just shown the disdain that they have for the people that have that particular need. So all of you have your drinks and smugly contemplate your victories. Humanity at it's best!

You know why you don't see people smoking places other than where they should in Disney World? Because Cast Members are vigilant about keeping people from doing it, that's why. It isn't because smokers are polite and thoughtful. Oh, sure... a handful are. But the majority don't care who it affects. If you don't like it then don't visit the parks. Or quit. That's an even better idea. We're passholders and make a 2 week visit two or three times each year. I certainly don't want to pay all the money we pay to do that to be hazed by smoke when we walk around the castle or when we want to eat some Dole Pineapple Whip. P.S. We don't drink either. But, besides that, in all of our trips to Disney World I have yet to see a lit park goer.

Goofnut1980

I wish I could find a pic I took in December. But they have been removing the trees on each side of the castle paths. It has opened it up and I bet you could see the smokers from the new hub. I don't mind folks that smoke but that area always was unpleasant to walk thru to get to Fantasyland.

Kingoglow

If you don't like it then don't visit the parks. Or quit. That's an even better idea. We're passholders and make a 2 week visit two or three times each year. I certainly don't want to pay all the money we pay to do that to be hazed by smoke when we walk around the castle or when we want to eat some Dole Pineapple Whip. P.S. We don't drink either. But, besides that, in all of our trips to Disney World I have yet to see a lit park goer.

No. If YOU don't like it - YOU don't visit the parks. I certainly didn't pay all that money to accommodate you. It is my right. Don't tread on me.

I assure you, you will not fall over dead for walking by me having a smoke in a smoking area. If you just cannot leave us alone then find a path that doesn't go by a smoking area. I certainly have to find a path to go have a smoke. Do your part.

JeffR73

As an ex-smoker, I never liked that area to smoke in. I did smoke once at that area and when I actually noticed how many little ones/families walked thru there I put out my cig and walked over to the Speedway to smoke. That one made sense to me. That and the engine fumes, who could complain? I always paid attention to the smoking areas when I was there, either in world or at our hotel (POP/AKL). I am actually looking forward to this trip, because I wont be searching for the next designated area so I can have my fix which seems to be so time consuming! I know my family will be enjoying it as well as it means extra spending money and not waiting on me for my selfish habit. We can go, go, go!

Potus1976

As someone who follows these blogs regularly I almost never post a comment or reply. It seems I just don't like to put up with the rudeness. However, I'm not a smoker and do not have a problem with people who smoke. I'm glad they have removed this area as a smoking section. The two paths on either side of the castle are major routes for most people. It always seemd odd why they would allow one of these as a smoking section. Especially since this path now gets backed up with a line to meet Merida.

It also seems that this argument goes nowhere because both sides use the "don' tread on me"' or "it's my personal freedom." When you enter a park there are rules. You will never have 100% freedom to do what you choose.

I agree that since this space is now off limits to smokers then they should designate another area. However, let's use common sense and have an intellectual debate instead of being rude and listing talking points we've all heard from FOX, MSNBC, or CNN pundits. As we all know, doing this gets us nowhere in an argument and will never bring us to a point compromise. It seems we can have discussions and debate without that.

And as usual...this will be my final post for about 8 months. However, I really enjoy reading these. It's nice to share with those who have the same passion for all things Disney as myself.

janoimagine

The science is very clear. There's no link between secondhand smoke and cancer, let alone secondhand smoke outdoors. The 1993 EPA report that started the secondhand smoke hysteria has been shown to be bad science at best and flat-out fraudulent at worst.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf...-no-link-between-secondhand-smoke-and-cancer/

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/secondhand-smoke-charade
Great counterpoints ... but never once was I talking about death by cancer from second hand smoke, I was talking about deaths from exposure to second hand smoke. For what its worth, the leading cause of death resulting from exposure to second hand smoke is heart disease. Since 1964 it has been documented that over 2 million in the US have died from illnesses directly related to exposure to second hand smoke.

I am an x-smoker, and it is just ignorant to think that inhaling or breathing in smoke whether directly or indirectly is not harmful to your health.

CJR

I like this change, although I do hope Disney will make a better effort to spot people smoking outside of the designated areas and direct them toward them. Really, the currentl locations are not very far from the one they eliminated.

I get why people who grew up in the 70's and 80's smoke, but I do personally get sad when I see someone from the 90's and 2000's do it. That's an indication that we're a long way off from a smoke free world. So until then, however long it may be (if ever), I do hope Disney will cater to this request/need for smoking areas. It keeps both groups of guests the happiest they all can be, in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom