Castle Projections: Your thoughts

Projections, too much?

• Total voters

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Preface: I haven't seen the new projection show in person, but I watched several Youtube videos of Happily Ever After and the other one (can't think of the name of it at the moment). IMHO, I think they are going a bit crazy with the castle projections. Little use of projections goes a long way, kind of leaves the audience on the edge of their...feet. But after awhile, it just felt like they were going a bit overboard with the use of the projections and it made the show feel stale after awhile.

What are your thoughts?

Mystic

I haven't seen the new show yet either and not sure if I will or not. My issue is that it forces you to be on Main Street in order to get the full effect of the show. We used to like watching Wishes from the side of the castle. Sort of in the area between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. You didn't necessarily see all of the projections but it didn't really detract from the show. It's my understanding now that you really need to see the front of the castle in order to truly enjoy the show. I don't want to have to camp out on Main Street for hours for fireworks. My body can't handle that. I like what they do in Disneyland where they've incorporated other attractions into the projections so you can be in other areas of the park and still enjoy the entire show. I can catch the fireworks in Fantasyland and still see the projections because they are on Small World as well as the Castle or I can be in New Orleans Square or Frontierland and still see them because the projections are up on Tom Sawyer Island.

belledream

I think it’s really captivating in HEA but the pitfall I’m trying to avoid is focusing solely on the projections and more on the fireworks themselves. Because that’s really what nighttime at Magic Kingdom is about.

As for projections on places like Tower of Terror...I could say no to that. But for HEA, it really did take the show to new heights for me.

Rumrunner

Preface: I haven't seen the new projection show in person, but I watched several Youtube videos of Happily Ever After and the other one (can't think of the name of it at the moment). IMHO, I think they are going a bit crazy with the castle projections. Little use of projections goes a long way, kind of leaves the audience on the edge of their...feet. But after awhile, it just felt like they were going a bit overboard with the use of the projections and it made the show feel stale after awhile.

What are your thoughts?
HEA seems to be more of an infomercial about new Disney productions. We are going to Disney soon but none of us are all that excited about the new show. Will ride the rides instead of wasting an hour or more attempting to find a place to see the front of the castle.

NelleBelle

We've not yet seen the projections (but if they're anything like what was projected on the castle during the firework show during MNSSHP last year, then I'll pass). We're going in June but if the crowds are anything like the Halloween night for MNSSHP (and I'd actually expect it to be worse), I have no desire to try and find a place to see the castle to enjoy the entire show. That area was too congested back when they did Wishes! Don't know why they thought that limiting the projections to one area of the park was a good idea :banghead: I agree with the pp about preferring how DL does their projections throughout the park. ARGH!! And will not be using any FP for this either (if even an option)!!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I'll give them this, unlike most projection shows the images take place at the castle and all the images are based on the castles shape and structure so pretty much the castle changes for each scene. I was happy with that encase some shows flat out wash out the castle and show video taking place where ever the scene in the movie did.

Phil12

They're working toward diminishing the fireworks in favor of projections, lasers, drones and other entertainment. Disney has always attempted to be a responsible corporate citizen and they realize that the air, noise and water pollution caused by fireworks continues to be a problem. A gradual reduction of fireworks over the next several years is the right thing to do.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They're working toward diminishing the fireworks in favor of projections, lasers, drones and other entertainment. Disney has always attempted to be a responsible corporate citizen and they realize that the air, noise and water pollution caused by fireworks continues to be a problem. A gradual reduction of fireworks over the next several years is the right thing to do.
And again you've been proved wrong by HEA having far more product than Wishes.

EricsBiscuit

ha! There may be a little pollution but they are awesome and I hope Disney quadruples the amount of pyro in their shows.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's a fad it will die down similar to VR...
giphy.webp

bclane

Imo, HEA is one of the most impressive shows ever done by Disney or anyone for that matter, and no video of it I’ve seen even comes close to capturing the experience of being there live.

Also, I have gone many times on very crowded nights and you don’t have to wait hours to get a good spot. A few minutes before the show starts, they always ask everyone to stand up and move up and to the center. If you time it right, you can just grab a spot when they do this by just walking back and forth along the open pathway and jumping across the magical tape barrier when everyone stands up. Works every time for me.

No Name

The other show is Once Upon a Time. Wonder how it fares in ratings. I don't even find it half-enjoyable like I did Celebrate the Magic. No clue why they made that replacement. However, I think the projection use works very well for Happily Ever After. If they need to find something to replace for the 50th, please get OUT out and keep HEA.

So I don't know how to answer.

Last edited:

Po'Rich

I like Happily Ever After well enough, but I didn't care much for Once Upon a Time when I saw it last spring. I thought Celebrate the Magic was better. However, I really like the use of projection shows in the different parks. The Tree of Life Awakens is an example of an excellent use of projections.

Phil12

ha! There may be a little pollution but they are awesome and I hope Disney quadruples the amount of pyro in their shows.
Actually fireworks produce a lot of very toxic pollution. Disney has done a great job in containing some of the pollution and they can cut back on some colors that are egregious for toxic heavy metals. The entire Disney World property is in the watershed for the Everglades and Disney is taking steps to clean up their act. They have a very robust environmental program.

Pixieish

I don't mind projections as long as they are an element of the show - not another show by itself. For example, the swaths of color/stripes/stars during the 4th fireworks are PERFECT. They use the projection capabilities to add to the fireworks display without being a distraction, they're simple enough that the detail of the castle doesn't make the images look weird...that's the kind of thing they should be shooting for. Using the projectors to shoot film clips onto the castle makes it feel like one more commercial for their moves...which no one needs.

TongaXtine

Up till now I've had no interest in projections but after seeing what they did recently with the new MK show - its definitely improved. I would go out of my way to see it. That said, I don't need to see it on every park weenie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom