Cast Members: Sick of the Magic?

Bairstow

Original Poster
I work in a tourist attraction as a tour guide, and having worked there for 7 consecutive summers I can say without a doubt that I really have begun to detest everything about the attraction I serve. I introduce guests and lecture them about the same exhibits, bits of history, and tell the same jokes over and over again. Even worse, I've seen the same introductory videos and listened to short audio loops hundreds upon hundreds of times. At this point, not only do I receive no amusement from what I'm experiencing, I can't for the life of me understand why the guests I serve do.
This makes me wonder: Do Walt Disney World cast memebers get as burned out about their attractions and posts as I have? I imagine a cast member in the haunted mansion doing the same exact procedure at the loading station every 5 seconds and listening to the same 2-minute-long looped music track for hours at a time and going near-insane with boredom and monotony. Honestly, if I saw the Alien Encounter preshow 10 times in a row I don't think I'd ever enjoy it again, let alone after 200 times.
So, I ask the cast members here: How do you deal with the monotony of your jobs and does the familiarity with the WDW attractions bring love or contempt? Also, are there any particular procedures or practices the company uses to aleviate your sufferings? I can just imagine someone who works day in and day out as a Jungle Cruise guide getting on this message board and being dumbfounded by how enfatuated everyone is with the minute details of the theming in what is for him his daily personal hell. So, let's here it CMs, sick of the magic or glad to be in the midst of it?

Invero

That's why there are soooooo many different "Roles" within Walt Disney World. Get bored with going around in circles with Monorails? Transfer to Buses! That's what I did. :)

Disney is a bit different than most locations though... there's always something different going on. That, and most people work for Disney because they love what they do.

Maria

I was a cast member for 15 months, and worked inside of the Mexican pavillion for three months only, two of those months in the boatride. Ten hour shifts rotating positions every 15 minutes with a 15 min. break after one hour or so. I hated it. I didn´t like saying countless times "how many in your party?" "Row 1,2,3,4," "step on the seat and watch your step please" "Thank you for coming, the exit is to your right". It drove me nuts not being able to interact with guests more than those lines because you had to load and unload those boats very fast. It was very frustrating, not to mention having to listen to that song all day long! However, that´s me... some people liked working those shifts and there is even a lady working there who has done the same job since Epcot opened and she loves it! So I guess there are people for everything... thank God! ;)

I loved the rest of my program though... I did school visits, presentations about my country, VIP tours, special events inside and outside of the parks, ambassador rotation around WSC, crowd control, Guest Relations, etc., in which I could interact with people a lot. My days were always different and fun.

:)

Wilt Dasney

Well, you were able to disguise the identity of the attraction you work for very well. I, however, don't have the same luxury. :)

<-----------------------

But, yeah, I know what you're describing; without going into detail, I can say that this is one factor that caused me to realize that what I was doing was not "for me" on a permanent basis, although I do miss parts of it enough to want to do it seasonally.

DAKTOLCMM

I must say that there were many times when I was a CM that I hated the monotony of my day to day activities. But after about 2 or so months I got trained in another area, same line of business, so that broke it up. Then a few weeks later I got trained in another area, then another area. So for my CP i had 4 areas to rotate between, that helped me keep the magic. If you asked any of my friends there who the least likely to return to work at Disney after the program was, it would be me. I had a negative attitude about stuff a lot, but still on stage i made magic to the best of my ability, and my record card will vouch for this. But that person that was least likely to return will return in a few short weeks to begin a stint of normal employment with the company and another company (non-theme park). If i were that sick of the magic it would not hold my heart nearly two years later.....
Have a magical day...

mkepcotmgmak

try for custodial. thats what i did in them mk. your job cons. changes, and you have more guest interaction than ANYONE. other than park greeters... lol

MKCustodial

I guess, in the end, it's what you make of it. And Tyler is right, WDW has the advantage of a large number of roles one CM can take, so you can avoid "boredom" if you want to.

And Maria, I totally sympathize. When I signed up for the program, I wanted Attractions. But after I landed Custodial, the Guest interaction alone was soooo worth all the protein spills and heavy turkey leg-filled trash cans I had to take care of. :lol:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
The Magic to me is no longer being in the parks. The magic to me is the fact that I can (and do) make it on a daily basis. Seeing a child's face after I've made their dream come true can truly make up for ever @sshole that I have to deal with (guests and cast).

blm07

They probably love it for a few weeks or even months, but no human can stand the same thing for years with out going crazy, doesn't matter how much you love it.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by blm07
They probably love it for a few weeks or even months, but no human can stand the same thing for years with out going crazy, doesn't matter how much you love it.

not really... once you find what you like to do, it's not so hard. It took me a few transfers within the Disney company, but I really am happy doing what I do... and I've been doing this specific job for almost 4 years with no major troubles (other than my ToD injuries... but that's a different topic)

TravisMT81

I am with Tyler...there are so many roles at Walt Disney World. Which makes it great we can transfer around and gain experience at other roles.

GaryT977

How many jobs are there that aren't repetitive in one way or another? I've had my desk/computer geek job for the last 8 years, and it's pretty much the same things every day, dealing with the same (mostly) idiots every day.

At least at WDW you get to try different jobs after a while. Sounds great to me!

careship

Originally posted by mkt
The Magic to me is no longer being in the parks. The magic to me is the fact that I can (and do) make it on a daily basis. Seeing a child's face after I've made their dream come true can truly make up for ever @sshole that I have to deal with (guests and cast).

That is the Magic of DIsney in a nutshell. When a CM makes me or my children smile with no more then a cute comment, it makes the trip even better. I have pictures of the kids' beds from every day of every trip we have ever taken. The way they arrange the kids' bed always gives us something to look forward to. The first time was a surprise, after that, they were eager to get back and see what happens in the room while we are gone. The little things are what makes the place so fabulous. Thanks to all of you CM's who go the extra mile to make my children smile.

Kenan

I absolutley love my position at Test Track. I wouldnt trade it for anything in the world. There are a few days that can get sickening for whatever happened, but overall, its the best. The people I work with are awesome, and I love 'em all. We rotate so often at Test Track, that you will never be stuck in the same position. (except Dreamchasers, or merge, haha):lookaroun

conntom

I work for a Mansion that was built in 1845 I give the History
of the House I repart the History 30 to 40 time a day and I
love it thats just it you must love what your doing.
As a guest at WDW is there a way we can make your day
a good one to. I love all the Cast members you make me
happy and I wish I could do something for you.
So to all CMs thank you thank you thank you very much.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Quentin Disney

Repettion indeed can make things extrodinary the ordinary. I have experienced the parks as a jaded tourist, then Annual Passholder and now Cast Member. While there are some things that are quite boring in my role as a merchandise host (Greeting, Package Pick-Up/Resort Delivery or extra item suggestion multiple times a day), there are a lot of things that go on that still make things magical. For example, I really get an incredible feeling when I help a guest find what they are looking for or when I pin trade with a child who is just starting out.

Repettion is all a part of the job. It doesn't limit itself to WDW.

jaimjaim25

Originally posted by Disneyanna0521
there is no way the magic i would ever get sick of

HA. me neither, but i guess its also if you are in the college program you sorta have to work, if you are like me and just want to work there every day forever, its a little different :) haha.. One day I will work at DW, cause thats all I want to do. I hate desk jobs!!!!!! I love DISNEY WORLD!

WEDMagic

you have to love it

At disney you have to love your role or get out, theres nothing around that. You also will enjoy it if you grew up loving what disney stands for and you want to be a part of that. I moved here to do that, and everyday I hold those same high standards as if Walt was looking over my shoulder...and we all know he is

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom