Cast Member Wages

aw14

Because your mindset is blind to the consequences such thinking has if you actually play it out to its fullest. Resources are not unlimited, and you are NOT self-sufficient in this world. You rely on the success of others to fill those grocery store shelves you buy your necessities from. You rely on the success of others to power that computer you are using. You rely on the success of others to build that house you live in.

Do you really think you live on an island? Do you do think you can exist as you do today without anyone else?

You can not gorge without consequences. If you actually lived a substance lifestyle, you'd understand you must have balance to ensure that what you have today, will be there tomorrow as well. You can't just gorge yourself today, and ignore the impact. The same happens in actual economics and business. You can't act irresponsible and ignore the consequences of those actions.

This is the real issue... we live in such a consumer society now that people think money will actually get them everything they need.. so as long as I get as much as I can, everything will be fine.... completely ambivalent to the consequences of irresponsible behavior.

When businesses act irresponsible and fail... and then the system you rely on is no longer there, what is your money going to do for you? Are you going to eat it? Will you plant it in the ground? Are you just going to buy everything you possible need in life?

This complete detachment from actual community living or substance living is a big part of our society's problem IMO. People think 'me me me plus my money is all I need'.

I think we should force every 16yr old to live on their own in the wilderness in a small community for 6months. Then test them with things like having to create their own necessities, learning what it means when someone takes something you actually need to function, to learn what it means to truly appreciate the assistance of community to complete something you need, to learn you can't get everything you need yourself with just a credit card (like needing a blacksmith), learn to barter/trade actual work for value. Then maybe the general population would respect the idea of don't take just because you can... that would negatively impact someone else... to appreciate what it means to create something... to appreciate work... to appreciate help.. to appreciate that your life will be better when people help each other instead of just trying to step over each other.

If all you think matters is to get MORE MORE MORE.. then you are doomed in the long run.
If at the office you are only concerned with getting YOUR raise at the expense of everything else.. what happens when the team can't sustain the headcount it needs.. or the product sales faulter because the company's overhead is too high because everyone is only concerned with getting MORE MORE MORE for themselves?

Greed is not independent of consequence. Selfishness only leads to it being YOU vs everyone else. A position you really don't want to be in when you actually NEED someone else.

The idea of "im the only one that matters" is short-term thinking that is predicated on this falsehood that you are really self-sufficent. You aren't.

Not the same logic... Your daughter isn't contending with other people over anything to get evaluated for her grade. She's not fighting for finite resources to be scored. Maybe you guys should take a Logic class together?

Or maybe you should teach her in the future, she will be alone and will need help, and if she's never helped anyone else, or doesn't respect other people, they probably won't be interested in working with her to help her through the studying she needs to learn the material.

Because when she was so concerned about ME ME ME, she was ignoring the fact that she will not always be able to do it all herself, and if you actually invest in those around you, you might actually bring EVERYONE up.
While your ridiculous comments reek of sarcasm and are slightly incendiary, I will ignore those at this point.

Your reading comprehension is horrible. Half of the drivel you have written here does not relate in a direct matter to anything I said. In fact, in one of my posts here I specifically state how my wife and I do help the less fortunate, but of course you would not respond to that...it does not at all help your bleeding heart message ;)

Additionally, you also make an exceptionally large and erroneous assumption. You have no sense of the life that anyone here has led, me included. So your comments about what a substance life is like, etc... will fall on deaf ears. I am not going to bore anyone here with my life story, but just because I have some modicum of success now, doesn't mean thats where I came from. Never assume anything flynn, you know what they say about assumptions.

Also, the logic used in the grades analogy is far more appropriate than you think. I would suggest doing further reading on the topic of social and economic equality, and then you will be more prepared to contribute equally <see what I did there> ;)

While I am attending the logic class, of which I hope you are not the teacher, I would suggest some remedial reading comprehension work. :)

At this point, since nothing constructive is going to come of discussing this with you, I will no longer respond. I am too old to venture down some silly rabbit hole.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually, those are the two biggest entitlement programs, federally.

Though, I do think there is some confusion regarding the term entitlement. It seems like the "entitlement" being discussed here isn't actually entitlement programs, but social programs (welfare).

The context here is that a few posters feel like they are paying for others as if they are tired of supporting the less fortunate... and somehow these taxes they pay are only going to others.
I look forward to them turning down their social security checks in the future because they are so worth it.. and when their 401k is crap because the companies they invested in are the same me-me-me selfish people that drove the businesses into the ground.

flynnibus

Premium Member
At this point, since nothing constructive is going to come of discussing this with you, I will no longer respond. I am too old to venture down some silly rabbit hole.

The TL;DR - you got nothing.

Oh.. and you believe you'll never need anyone else but you. Good luck with that.

aw14

The TL;DR - you got nothing.

Oh.. and you believe you'll never need anyone else but you. Good luck with that.
I couldn't help myself, so 1 last comment, then I will ignore, I swear :)

Again, you don't read exceptionally well. Nothing you have stated in quoting me is an accurate portrayal of what I said. It seems someone woke up a tad cranky and looking for a fight today. Oh well...thats on you. No one peed in your cheerios champ, so it can't be all bad. ;)

I hear Venezuela is looking for some strong leaders...maybe your should give it some consideration.

Take care

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hey, you're the one who made this an ad hominem argument. If you want to compare educational pedigree and CV's, I'm fine with that.

And if you're curious...

Ad Hominem: (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hominem attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it.

Congrats.. you figured out google searches. Next assignment, lookup your local county and state budgets, find all the items they spend money on, and exclude yourself from using any of them or accepting work or services from anyone who does. Then return to the class and tell us how all your taxes are going to the less fortunate...

KordovaJD

Congrats.. you figured out google searches. Next assignment, lookup your local county and state budgets, find all the items they spend money on, and exclude yourself from using any of them or accepting work or services from anyone who does. Then return to the class and tell us how all your taxes are going to the less fortunate...

This is like the most circular, meta, self-proving statement I've ever seen. Nearing back to the future proportions. Awesome.

Disney.Mike

You keep saying poor people pay tax because of sales tax... they dont...

When your total tax contributions are may 5k a year... and i'm including SS and medicare, property, sales ect... and you get back 10k a year... not only did you not pay any taxes, you got 5k more back than you put in to the total system.

And your right I will collect my SS (if its there... doubt it)... i will have paid upwards of 300k into that fund in today money... I will never recoup half of what I have paid into that, adjusted for inflation and earning potential... I'd love to be able to opt out and invest that money myself. But it is a lucrative ponzi scheme to redistribute my wealth

flynnibus

Premium Member
You keep saying poor people pay tax because of sales tax... they dont...

Not what I said..

The specific point was a claim that 50% of people don't pay taxes. A claim that is based on counting how many people have a negative INCOME TAX BILL. It's a claim that is incorrectly applied to mean ALL TAXES - which is false.

When your total tax contributions are may 5k a year... and i'm including SS and medicare, property, sales ect... and you get back 10k a year... not only did you not pay any taxes, you got 5k more back than you put in to the total system.

The ideas of tax credits vs tax deductions is a topic all on its own. But the math above does not change the falsehood of the misapplication of the income tax information. Maybe your total sum argument changes the #, but it doesn't change that the initial information is misapplied.

And your right I will collect my SS (if its there... doubt it)... i will have paid upwards of 300k into that fund in today money... I will never recoup half of what I have paid into that, adjusted for inflation and earning potential... I'd love to be able to opt out and invest that money myself. But it is a lucrative ponzi scheme to redistribute my wealth

So think of it as insurance. You pay thousands a year, and you'll never get that money back, but you're paying for the protection.

Again... NO one in this thread is truly functional on their own and believing you are is about as dense as you can get.

jaklgreen

Protip: If you want a nice apartment, don't try and make "cashier at Flame Tree BBQ" a career. It ain't one.

Entry-level jobs are for entry-level workers. If you're working an entry-level job for your whole career, that's on you.

Why? Why is it that in this country it is looked down upon to work in these jobs? Most other countries these types of jobs are normal jobs that people are proud to work at and make a living wage at. Food, especially, is a hard job to do physically. For those of you whom have never worked in it, I can tell you that you are constantly doing something physical. Not to mention working with the public, something that a lot of "educated" people are not able to do. I know how office people work, you get your desk that you have your snacks at and get up whenever you want to go talk to someone or go to the bathroom, etc. You cant do that at a restaurant. Can you imagine if you are in line and the cashier just walked away and went to the bathroom or started just talking to a co worker. You would get mad that they are not helping you. Most of the times they do not even get breaks let alone an hour lunch. Working in a restaurant is not only a career for many but also a way of life. Many immigrants came over and working in food was how they survived and raised families. Because it is not looked down on where they are from. And they take pride in feeding people, which is a big deal in many places. All of you people that think working in food is beneath you and think that working there means a person is too stupid to do anything else, then I say cook your own food 3 times and day and then clean up after yourself and then tell me it is not hard work. And I completely disagree that it does not take skill to work at these jobs. I have seen way too many come and go that can't handle it but go on to work an "office" job.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe everyone should go home and watch The Walking Dead... recognize it as the tax-free nirvana they have been looking for... everyone is for themselves first, and ZERO redistribution of wealth! It must be heaven.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is like the most circular, meta, self-proving statement I've ever seen. Nearing back to the future proportions. Awesome.

Because you claimed "I do not benefit from entitlement programs as I earn too much money"

That is an incredibly shortsighted way of thinking... and maybe you should try living in a world with no taxes or entitlement programs and see what your world really looks like?

NelsonRD

You said 50% don't pay taxes - false
You equated paying your share of taxes are being about supporting the less fortunate... yet ignoring everything you consume and benefit from. It's deplorable thinking... selfish and privileged.

It was implied that about 50% don't pay income taxes. The fact you had to call that out is entertaining.

When a single mother of 3 in NY receives the equivalent benefits that pays the same 70K a year job, for not working, does not make me feel selfish. I use that example because I have a stay at home wife and 2 kids to support, and with a Master's degree, do not may much more than that. Oh and by the way, I had to pay for that degree and work hard, it wasn't just handed to me.

Also, how do I benefit from the able bodied, non working poor?

The only thing deplorable here is your assumption that people are privileged.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Why? Why is it that in this country it is looked down upon to work in these jobs? Most other countries these types of jobs are normal jobs that people are proud to work at and make a living wage at.

These jobs are not looked down upon. They are just low paying jobs....and that really isn't going to change much.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It was implied that about 50% don't pay income taxes. The fact you had to call that out is entertaining.

So wait... we are now only worried about income taxes? Your blanket statement was made for impact, not specific to a type of tax and it's relevance to the discussion. Don't try to backtrack now.

When a single mother of 3 in NY receives the equivalent benefits that pays the same 70K a year job, for not working, does not make me feel selfish. I use that example because I have a stay at home wife and 2 kids to support, and with a Master's degree, do not may much more than that. Oh and by the way, I had to pay for that degree and work hard, it wasn't just handed to me.

So quit your jobs and go live that luxury lifestyle that mother has on the back of others... let us know how great it is.

Also, how do I benefit from the able bodied, non working poor?

So that's everyone on assistance now? What should we do with the disabled in our world... just throw them off a cliff? The people thrown into consequences? Just punch them while they are down and finish them off? Can't have anyone freeloading can we..

In your view... what should happen to anyone who can't earn enough to support their family? What is your alternative? Are we better off on investing in just better body disposal?

The only thing deplorable here is your assumption that people are privileged.
Everytime a white collared suburban worker thinks they can exist regardless of the society around them... a kitten dies.

NelsonRD

Maybe everyone should go home and watch The Walking Dead... recognize it as the tax-free nirvana they have been looking for... everyone is for themselves first, and ZERO redistribution of wealth! It must be heaven.

Since you believe in this redistribution, why don't you do it yourself? I suggest you open 1 bank account, and everybody that believe this, should join you in putting all of your life savings in it. Then divide it out evenly among your members that contributed. The rich, and even the poor have to put in everything. Why don't you do that? See how much support you get on that one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Since you believe in this redistribution, why don't you do it yourself? I suggest you open 1 bank account, and everybody that believe this, should join you in putting all of your life savings in it. Then divide it out evenly among your members that contributed. The rich, and even the poor have to put in everything. Why don't you do that? See how much support you get on that one.

Because that's not what I've advocated for. I'm not the one arguing that paying into the common good is negative. I'm not the one ignoring how they benefit, both directly and indirectly from programs intended to make society better instead of one individual.

I've never advocated that people must give everything, yet you and others have argued that there is no benefit to YOU for contributing as if you can get on by yourself. I'm mearly suggesting you actually try living in a world that does what you advocate for. No common good, me first, and no wasteful government collecting those taxes from you.

It's insane that supposedly educated people think that if you remove the legs from under a table.. that the table will actually float UP and not fall down.

NelsonRD

So wait... we are now only worried about income taxes? Your blanket statement was made for impact, not specific to a type of tax and it's relevance to the discussion. Don't try to backtrack now.

So quit your jobs and go live that luxury lifestyle that mother has on the back of others... let us know how great it is.

So that's everyone on assistance now? What should we do with the disabled in our world... just throw them off a cliff? The people thrown into consequences? Just punch them while they are down and finish them off? Can't have anyone freeloading can we..

In your view... what should happen to anyone who can't earn enough to support their family? What is your alternative? Are we better off on investing in just better body disposal?

Everytime a white collared suburban worker thinks they can exist regardless of the society around them... a kitten dies.

Are you illiterate? Can you read? I claim (go back and READ) able-bodied, non working poor. And your response is disabled? Throw in elderly in there and everything else I did not say.

You claim on those who are not earning enough implies they are working, again, try to comprehend this, not my argument.
My argument is while defending the poor, we conversely offend the ones who have worked hard to avoid being in that situation.

I feel like I am taking to my 6 year old.

jaklgreen

These jobs are not looked down upon. They are just low paying jobs....and that really isn't going to change much.

Yes they are. Even here, several posters have said that a person works there because they do not "better" themselves. And food workers have a glazed stupid look in their eyes. You know that it is look down upon. You do not need a PHD to work in these jobs but I also argue that some with degrees are incapable to performing these jobs. Just look at the show undercover boss. These "smart" CEOs go and try to do what the "entry level" people do and fail miserably. All jobs require certain skills that not everyone is capable of doing. I have seen so many people that can not keep up with the fast paced work, their brains just do not work that fast, but are able to go and work in a job that requires a degree because they can think at their own pace. Are those people "better" or "smarter" then others. I would say no way. And I look at them and think, I can do your job but you can't do mine but you get paid more. The truth is along the way someone came up with this messed up system of who gets paid what. And it does not work anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom