Cashless Disney and the Mark of the Magic Band

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
So. Got to talking with a fellow Disney-ite and topics ranged all over the place (like they usually do when you talk Disney...the Guinness' didn't hurt either)

The cashless topic came up and it does make a lot of sense. Can anyone see a "World" where cash and credit are no longer accepted, in lieu of "loading" up your magic band with a credit/debit card (thus ALL payments would be made via MB).

Before you arbitrarily dismiss this.....it would solve a lot of issues and it would give Disney a lot more information into guest spending and behavior.

Think of a world where everyone visiting Disney has an MDE account. The data relative to that alone, along with the ability to track guest behavior (tourist and local alike), spending habits, etc., would be mind boggling.

They'd know John Q Public had 36 drinks last Saturday at F&W over a three hour period ... and only ate an egg roll. They could in essence look at capping alcohol sales at x per y (x being amount - y being time). Sure there are ways to game that, but it'd be fine tuned over time and morph into some top secret algo. (Yeah, some will say Disney would never give up the opportunity to make money by capping alcohol, but the calculus also need include liability and guest experience - They'll let you get "Happy" but won't let you get "Goofy")

Get on a bus MB, get on a boat MB, get on a Gondola MB. Today, how do they gauge utilization? I've yet to see a bus driver do a head count. Maybe they do and are just sneaky that way. But the bus driver doesn't know "who" is getting on their bus. Think of the ability to gauge utilization (resort guest and non-resort guest) vs time window. Better planning = cost saving for Disney.

RFID is watching...it's always watching. If you're wearing a MB they know when you got there, know when you left, know where you went. But in a lot of cases they don't know what you did. They can tell you were in the Emporium last Wednesday at 2:45pm - but they don't know if you made a purchase (unless you voluntarily used a MB - a lot of locals and guest still use CC's, GC's, and cash). Forcing you to use the MB for purchase is a goldmine of data and information.

It would also aid in identifying ways being used to try to game the system. They'd quickly be able to identify that an inordinate amount of locals were catching the bus from DS to the Contemporary or Beach Club and stayed there for 9 hours before they caught the bus back to Disney Springs.

The algo's created by this info would be downright scary.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
They'll always take your money, in any form.

I hear ya...but I think going this route gets them to part you from your money a lot more efficiently. And it gives them a blueprint on how to repeat that exercise when you return.

It's not about them getting you to "spend money"....It's about them getting you to "spend more money".

Smiley/OCD

No, that would NEVER happen only for the reason that many non-US guests don't have the same access to MB's that we do...they usually don't ship internationally (as other people have stated), any US business is REQUIRED to accept payments whether cash/card, and IMHO, I would NOT patronize a business that doesn't accept good 'ol greenbacks in the country. I'm really not concerned with the big brother aspect, in 2018, EVERYONE is being watched and tracked, it's just the principle of the matter.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
No, that would NEVER happen only for the reason that many non-US guests don't have the same access to MB's that we do...they usually don't ship internationally (as other people have stated), any US business is REQUIRED to accept payments whether cash/card, and IMHO, I would NOT patronize a business that doesn't accept good 'ol greenbacks in the country. I'm really not concerned with the big brother aspect, in 2018, EVERYONE is being watched and tracked, it's just the principle of the matter.

Valid points. But if they are staying on property that would be remedied by receiving the MB at the front desk of the resort at check in.

Everyone...well mostly every - international visitor is staying at a hotel, near Disney. Shipping the MB to the hotel for pickup at check in, or alternately - going to Guest Relations would also be an option. There is a way to do it.

I understand the mindset about using cash. But cruise lines do this today. Disney would be accepting cash or credit. You would just need to load it on to your MDE account....and then use your MB for the transaction at the Parks and Resort.

I'm neither for or against this. Honestly I'd lean against - slightly - due to privacy concerns. But I think Disney as a business would benefit by it.

LUVofDIS

I know people today that carry little to no cash. I have a nephew that will do what he can to avoid places that don't allow Apple Pay. I think within the next few years MB's will be given to everyone and though WDW will offer other payment offers for the near future, they will heavily press guests to use the MB.

As us older guests are replaced more and more by the next generation, they will be more prone to use the MB for everything, or what ever next tech replaces it. I see as has been seen over the last few decades, less and less cash being used. This has happened with credit cards, my parents rarely ever used credit cards, they believed in cash. I use credit cards for everything I can. I love using the MB's for everything I can while in WDW. So, yes I can see MB's being used for the majority of purchases being made in all Disney parks.

Smiley/OCD

Valid points. But if they are staying on property that would be remedied by receiving the MB at the front desk of the resort at check in.

Everyone...well mostly every - international visitor is staying at a hotel, near Disney. Shipping the MB to the hotel for pickup at check in, or alternately - going to Guest Relations would also be an option. There is a way to do it.

I understand the mindset about using cash. But cruise lines do this today. Disney would be accepting cash or credit. You would just need to load it on to your MDE account....and then use your MB for the transaction at the Parks and Resort.

I'm neither for or against this. Honestly I'd lean against - slightly - due to privacy concerns. But I think Disney as a business would benefit by it.

Valid points as well, BUT Disney is in the hospitality/customer service business also and they're not going to alienate guests that prefer to conduct business "the old fashioned way"...I would think cruise lines would be different...you can't just get in your car and drive to the nearest bank branch. Don't get me wrong, we usually don't use a whole lot of cash while we're at Disney, mostly plastic, but I as a consumer WANT and DEMAND that option.

Smiley/OCD

I know people today that carry little to no cash. I have a nephew that will do what he can to avoid places that don't allow Apple Pay. I think within the next few years MB's will be given to everyone and though WDW will offer other payment offers for the near future, they will heavily press guests to use the MB.

As us older guests are replaced more and more by the next generation, they will be more prone to use the MB for everything, or what ever next tech replaces it. I see as has been seen over the last few decades, less and less cash being used. This has happened with credit cards, my parents rarely ever used credit cards, they believed in cash. I use credit cards for everything I can. I love using the MB's for everything I can while in WDW. So, yes I can see MB's being used for the majority of purchases being made in all Disney parks.

Yes, you said MAJORITY...the cash option MUST remain an OPTION.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
Valid points as well, BUT Disney is in the hospitality/customer service business also and they're not going to alienate guests that prefer to conduct business "the old fashioned way"...I would think cruise lines would be different...you can't just get in your car and drive to the nearest bank branch. Don't get me wrong, we usually don't use a whole lot of cash while we're at Disney, mostly plastic, but I as a consumer WANT and DEMAND that option.

And that may be an option. You may very well be "encouraged", "incentivized" or "prodded" to use MB....but if you insist...they'll still take cash.

Kinda like TSA. You have an option if you desire. If you don't want to pass through the scanner.....you can always follow Helga into a private area.

nickys

Premium Member

I would say a sizeable majority of U.K. guests actually stay in a private villa somewhere surrounding the Orlando area. Not staying in a hotel. Times have moved on since the 80s and 90s. A lot of UKers bought holiday homes in the property recession, when the prices were low and the pound was strong. They in turn rent out the villas to holidaymakers, it’s a lucrative market.

I work in a primary school. I would say each year around 40 families go to Florida, around half for the first time. I can think of precisely three in six years who have stayed onsite, another dozen who stay at Universal and maybe the same who stay in various hotels on International Drive. The rest stay in villas. Most have no clue about MDE or booking FPs in advance, even those returning! They decide each evening which park they will go to the next day (WDW, Uni, Seaworld, water parks, Bush Gardens etc etc).

Now clearly this is anecdotal. But Disney would not turn them away with their 14/21 day passes because they don’t have a magic band to pay with.

Even the trial run at AKL of going cashless has not been 100% adhered to. They are still accepting cash at the gift shop, the Mara and even at the restaurants.

LUVofDIS

Yes, you said MAJORITY...the cash option MUST remain an OPTION.

Yes, I think that cash will be an option for the foreseeable future, that is until big brother makes us all have a chip inserted into us. I live in Michigan and there are a few places around me that do not take anything but cash.

Kinda like TSA. You have an option if you desire. If you don't want to pass through the scanner.....you can always follow Helga into a private area.

Yes, in the long future, because you use cash, it may take much longer for your transaction. There may be one line that takes cash and each bill or coin will have to undergo a long review process and the other lines only take MB. Or maybe goofy will take you into the backroom and interrogate you to why you persist to use cash.

Smiley/OCD

Yes, I think that cash will be an option for the foreseeable future, that is until big brother makes us all have a chip inserted into us. I live in Michigan and there are a few places around me that do not take anything but cash.

Yes, in the long future, because you use cash, it may take much longer for your transaction. There may be one line that takes cash and each bill or coin will have to undergo a long review process and the other lines only take MB. Or maybe goofy will take you into the backroom and interrogate you to why you persist to use cash.

That happens now on our toll roads in NJ...there's 10 lanes that accept E-Z Pass and 1 or 2 that take cash...that's fine, if you want to use cash, you will in all likely hood have to wait longer.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
I would say a sizeable majority of U.K. guests actually stay in a private villa somewhere surrounding the Orlando area. Not staying in a hotel. Times have moved on since the 80s and 90s. A lot of UKers bought holiday homes in the property recession, when the prices were low and the pound was strong. They in turn rent out the villas to holidaymakers, it’s a lucrative market.

I work in a primary school. I would say each year around 40 families go to Florida, around half for the first time. I can think of precisely three in six years who have stayed onsite, another dozen who stay at Universal and maybe the same who stay in various hotels on International Drive. The rest stay in villas. Most have no clue about MDE or booking FPs in advance, even those returning! They decide each evening which park they will go to the next day (WDW, Uni, Seaworld, water parks, Bush Gardens etc etc).

Now clearly this is anecdotal. But Disney would not turn them away with their 14/21 day passes because they don’t have a magic band to pay with.

Even the trial run at AKL of going cashless has not been 100% adhered to. They are still accepting cash at the gift shop, the Mara and even at the restaurants.

And I get that. This wouldn't be an overnight thing. It would be gradual - there'd be a ramp up. To my knowledge you can't pre-load a MB today.

In my instance, I never pay with cash or credit at the parks. I'll load up on on Gift Cards and use that for all my meals and purchases (no worry about hacking or CC's being compromised). Being a semi-local I get about 8 MBs a year (I refuse them now). It'd be a lot easier for me if I could pre-load. I think for a lot of others it would be easier as well.

I think it starts that way - with Disney allowing you to pre-load your MDE account for MB use at WDW. Then it becomes an adoption game. They'll get to 25% utilization, then 40%, then 63%, then 82.5% then 96.7%. Once they get there...it isn't much of a stretch. It wouldn't be difficult for you if traveling internationally - that once you got to Florida, you pulled up the app, clicked a few buttons and moved money into MDE then stopped at GR to get a band (obviously staffing would need to be addressed).

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
Put it this way, if cash is accepted in the real world, it will accepted at Disney.

Yes. But it's getting more and more inconvenient to use cash today. I live in Florida. I could wait 10 minutes at the Turnpike booth to pay my $7 toll. Or I could just tag a credit card to a Sunpass sticker and fly right through.

Or I could spend 20 minutes in line for QS at Disney. But it is more convenient if I mobile order.

Toll Booth operator is not a growing field. Similar to "mail carrier who can ride a horse and travel long distances".

Changes are generational. We are around now, and nobody likes "change" - So we resist. But the kids today (the ones who will have the expendable income in the next 10- 20 years) this is how they operate. Try "calling" a twenty year old. Their first response will be "Why are you calling?...just text me." I didn't know what a "text" was 20 years ago - I had just given up my beeper for a fold-able cellular phone.

I used to take my fold-able cellular phone to Burdines to buy a Polo shirt (in cash of course). If somebody would have told me that in 20 years, I could just order that shirt online and it would be delivered right to me. I naturally would have asked "Well, how do I pay for that?" The response would have been "we'll have a credit card on file".....to which my response would have been... "Yeah....right!"

Last edited:

donaldtoo

A good friend of mine worked at a bank back in ‘85. I remember her telling me we would be a cashless society by ‘90.
Even though things obviously continue to creep in that direction, I’m always leery of such predictions.
Cash has always been king, and it probably will be for the foreseeable (at least mine, anyway ;)) future...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom