Carseats needed on the airplane?

Yettiebug

Our kids are 5 and 3. We will be going to WDW in May. Flying US Airways on the way there and American Airlines on the way home. Do the airlines require the kids to still be in their carseats? I know once we hit the ground we will no longer need them until we get back on the plane. It would be extremely helpful if we didn't have to take their carseats on the plane. Also just wondering on the safety of that.

britdaw

Since your kids are over the age of 2 you will need carseats/boosters for each of them. :( I know that will definitely make it harder to travel, but this is the exact reason we decided to drive to DW. Sorry!

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

This device could be an option. FAA approved CARES restraint device $65. I think I will use one for our 2.5 yr old in October, the car seat we have is one that grows with the child. So it might be to big for the airplane because of the large footprint. Just one more thing to have to plan for.

Looks like renting them on Ebay is a good home business.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

The FAA Guidlines go by the child's weight, and not age:

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

Under 40 pounds, use a carseat (and under 20 pounds, use rear-facing carseat).
Over 40 pounds and they should use the regular airplane seatbelt.
Booster seats are not allowed to be used.

-Rob

Yup - Rob's spot on. We looked into this for sure this year. Our twins just hit the 40 pound mark, and we were stoked. Those damn car seats made it a pain in the butt at the airport and on the plane, though obviously, they were necessary.

Upvote 0

BeanSz

Last I knew they were not mandatory, we have taken our kids on a number of flights both domestically and internationally and never required car seats on the flight. Guidelines recommend but most airlines don't require. It's really up to you. Last year we flew to Panama and I took one of our booster seats so my DS3 could be a bit higher so he could better see the video movie screens. I was NOT allowed to use it --- they do not allow the booster seats without the backs, this I know. If you are going to use car seats or booster seats they need to be Approved for travel -- I know my other my other seats have a label on them. Mostly if you they have a back, they are probably ok --- just avoid my trap of the basic booster seat with no back.

Upvote 0

rjwalter

My experience

Car seats are defitinately not required but as stated above if you do bring one it must be FAA approved or you can not use it. When my son was one and half we used one because even though he could of flew as a lap child he just moved around too much so we brought the car seat. Let me tell you it is a pain. The next year at 2 I bought the CARES thing. It is basically a 5 point harness that straps to the seat its pretty good. You can actually rent them on ebay. Our last trip this past December my son was 3 and not quite 40lbs. yet but they said it was ok for him to just use the regular plane seat belt.

Upvote 0

WWWD

We just returned from Florida flying Frontier and took a car seat for our 4 year old as we were renting a car. The airline would not let us use the car seat since it wasn't FAA approved (must say so on the seat). We had to put the car seat in the over head bin.

Upvote 0

melmood2000

When we just flew with my 1 Year old daughter in October, She was flying as a Lap Child but one of our flights only had 10 people on it so the flight attendant let us use an empty seat for my daughter. Our car seat had the sticker on the out side that said FAA approved. One thing that helped us get around the Airport was a "Traveling Toddler Car Seat Travel Accessory" I bought it from Amazon it is a strap that allows you to strap the car seat to your carryon and wheel your child thru the Airport. It made it easier then trying to wheel a stroller and pull your carryon and carry a car seat. Good Luck.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Definitely not required.

FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS or device during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

Upvote 0

britdaw

The FAA Guidlines go by the child's weight, and not age:

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

Under 40 pounds, use a carseat (and under 20 pounds, use rear-facing carseat).
Over 40 pounds and they should use the regular airplane seatbelt.
Booster seats are not allowed to be used.

-Rob

Oh that's good info! thanks... The person I talked to from Delta Airlines had told me it was their age. Well my 3-year-old is definitely over 40 pounds. LOL

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

It would go by weight but just be careful. An airplane can exert many different forces then a child could handle without the extra restraint of the 5 point harness. I wish there was a 5 point harness in the lav, been bounced around in there before, not fun.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom