News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Chef idea Mickey`=

LOL, exactly my thoughts, I felt like I was losing my mind seeing some of those comments. It’s one thing if you’re genuinely excited for the change as a guest, that’s great, but if all you’re talking about is how the space is underutilized and using all this corporate speak, that’s when I shake my head.
Had Universal Epic Universe not brought a Dark Universe than I be for certain a Villain's Land would only be sitting in the archives. In fact many of the new announcements especially the Door Coaster ideas from the past why it's being brought back is to respond to Epic Universe.

My hope is when everyone and they all see all the kinetic water and park flushed lakes activity from Celestial Park next year that it makes them realize what letting go of Fountain of Nation's or a River's of America only spot of Magic Kingdom is needed.. just keep a loop of the river.

Who know's to this point if a Cars Land would of gone to another park like DHS here had there been no Dark Universe in development over at Universal.*

SamusAranX

Not at all -
I want new attractions. I want better attractions. I go to Disney for the ATTRACTIONS.

I like the look of the land they designed, the idea that Frontierland is evolving and is more than an old-timey-western feel, and I like that underutilized space is in plans to be re-developed to a new thrill ride as well as a smaller ride for families. I can run around outside in the woods anytime I want - but i go to Disney for rides.
Frontierland isn’t evolving, it’s being deconstructed to the point where it won’t be Frontierland.

Disstevefan1

WDWnotsoMuch.jpg

wannabeBelle

OK I havent read all of the pages in this thread so if this has been discussed previously accept my apologies. I have no problem with the IP and the idea sounded good with another mountain range within the attraction. Destroying ROA to do this is a travesty. A podcast I listened to yesterday had suggested that Disney is surprised at the negative feedback they are getting on the demise of ROA. Dont know why they thought it would be anything else. Said podcast went on to say that this MIGHT be being reconsidered and that maybe portions of ROA might be preserved. I would like to see TSI utilized more, maybe as a family friendly play area that is a little quieter for families to relax, and have the Cars attraction back behind BTMRR and Tiana's Bayou/Splash. Do we think there is any chance to save ROA? Marie

Quietmouse

OK I havent read all of the pages in this thread so if this has been discussed previously accept my apologies. I have no problem with the IP and the idea sounded good with another mountain range within the attraction. Destroying ROA to do this is a travesty. A podcast I listened to yesterday had suggested that Disney is surprised at the negative feedback they are getting on the demise of ROA. Dont know why they thought it would be anything else. Said podcast went on to say that this MIGHT be being reconsidered and that maybe portions of ROA might be preserved. I would like to see TSI utilized more, maybe as a family friendly play area that is a little quieter for families to relax, and have the Cars attraction back behind BTMRR and Tiana's Bayou/Splash. Do we think there is any chance to save ROA? Marie

Which podcast and they are reliable?

i sort of realized the best money making idea for Disney would be to dock the boat, turn it into a lounge with live jazz and appetizers, with the lower level maybe for meet and greets.

A lot of the lounges at Disney are low capacity, meaning Disney has to turn away a lot of guests because of low capacity allowance.

Turning the boat into a lounge would easily be the biggest lounge on Disney theme park property and could be a huge revenue generator.

I’m just at the stage of acceptance but also figuring out how to preserve at least a portion of the river and the boat.

wannabeBelle

I love the Boat as a lounge area, I would have no problem getting a nice mint julip and some beignets over there while overlooking ROA. That sounds AMAZING!!!
The podcast was WDW Pro and I am just not sure how reliable they are which is why I am asking. I know Pro was a member here for a while, not sure if he is still around though. Marie

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Which podcast and they are reliable?

i sort of realized the best money making idea for Disney would be to dock the boat, turn it into a lounge with live jazz and appetizers, with the lower level maybe for meet and greets.

A lot of the lounges at Disney are low capacity, meaning Disney has to turn away a lot of guests because of low capacity allowance.

Turning the boat into a lounge would easily be the biggest lounge on Disney theme park property and could be a huge revenue generator.

I’m just at the stage of acceptance but also figuring out how to preserve at least a portion of the river and the boat.
I think this option at least might make sense to Vahle and the TDO execs. Since it turns a revenue loser (in their eyes) into a revenue positive. And they get to score a “win” by listening to fans.

phillip9698

It amazes me how we have people on this thread that sound like they work for Disney or are Disney shareholders when they give their opinion on why they think it's a good idea to move forward with this. Who, outside of Disney/shareholders cares about "efficient use of space" and "maximizing ROI" and all of that? Why should the average guest care if there is an area that is "underutilized"? How does that affect a guests experience? We all know why Disney is doing this, but it is stunning how many people support it based almost solely on Disney's financial interests-it makes them sound like corporate bootlickers. Newsflash to those people-Disney doesn't care if you agree with them.

Some people look at a situation from an objective perspective and give their honest opinion based on that.

I’d personally love if Disney cut admission price in half while also shrinking the cap on admissions. Sure would make my visits a lot better. But because I can read a situation and think it through logically I know that isn’t going to happen.

Two Ears

Yes, but you still like this idea because of the guest experience you will have, not because it will make the fat cats in Burbank richer. Some people in here are supporting this from a financial/business standpoint only, when that has no bearing on guest experience. Those are the people I was talking about.
It does have a bearing on guest experience because it frees up money to build more rides. People are thinking about the long game for the parks.

Two Ears

Not at all -
I want new attractions. I want better attractions. I go to Disney for the ATTRACTIONS.

I like the look of the land they designed, the idea that Frontierland is evolving and is more than an old-timey-western feel, and I like that underutilized space is in plans to be re-developed to a new thrill ride as well as a smaller ride for families. I can run around outside in the woods anytime I want - but i go to Disney for rides.
Its surprises me that so many wdw fans dont really seem to be in it for the attractions. Isnt attractions the main point?

its sad that the river is going. But the river aint a ride. they are adding new net attractions to the park. not getting rid of old attractions to do this expansion which is great.

October82

It does have a bearing on guest experience because it frees up money to build more rides. People are thinking about the long game for the parks.
The cost of a contemporary Disney attraction is around $100 million. The cost to run TSI is the cost of minimum wage raft operators and janitorial services, neither of which will change. The riverboat, itself, has larger maintenance costs with it but those are an order of magnitude smaller than the operational, maintenance, and construction costs of a new D or E-ticket.

Replacing the ROA doesn't make sense from a business perspective. It doesn't add to the guest experience or lead to new attractions. Marketing the Cars IP in the Magic Kingdom is what appeals to the MBAs and the logic of new attractions in Disney Parks.

It remains to be seen whether that has positive or negative long term effects on the long game for the parks.

October82

Its surprises me that so many wdw fans dont really seem to be in it for the attractions. Isnt attractions the main point?

its sad that the river is going. But the river aint a ride. they are adding new net attractions to the park. not getting rid of old attractions to do this expansion which is great.
Attractions are part of theme parks but not the beginning or the end of them. Six Flags being the extreme counterpoint - world class roller coasters over parking lots.

(several old attractions are being replaced to add this - TSI and the riverboat aren't trackless (dark) rides but they're still attractions)

Cliff

Ill admit that Universals Epic will absolutely garner alot of interest next year. With that said, I don't think Epic is going to be the Magic Kingdom killer you think it is. They have been filling their parks with coasters, and Harry Potter. I don't see them diversifying near enough. I also see their 2 current parks are not in the best shape and need some real TLC. That joke of Dreamworks land proves my point.

Be hard on Disney but don't give Universal a free pass. Did you know to go to Epic next year, Universal is forcing you to buy a 3 Day ticket. If that was Disney you would be losing your mind right now. Take off the Rose colored Universal glasses.
No no,...Epic is not going to "kill" MK. I think MK is reasonably or somewhat bulletproof. I think Epic will "hurt" DAK, DHS and Epcot. Why?

In order to get into Epic Universe, Universal is rumored to be forcing people to buy tickets to ALL THREE Universal parks at once. This means that if Epic gets a gazillion people in that park, those same gazillion people MUST go to Universal and Islands too....This "forces" those parks to ALSO have similar Epic Universe HIGH attendance numbers. (Tons of City Walk spending too)

What are the two limits that every vacation has? Time & money! Universal is going to STEAL a minimum of THREE days from everybody's vacation. They will also steal THREE days of your vacation spending budget too.

Instead of staying in Disney's "bubble" and burning an extra day or two at Universal? The model is now reversed....people will stay in the Universal bubble and burn the extra day or two at Disney. Yep...MK is a given but the "other" three Disney parks? How much leftover days or spending money will go to those parks?

Add to the fact that Disney has almost nothing new in 2025 to attract people? Yeah,...Universal is going to steal MUCH more time and money out of people's allotment than it normally does. Something has to give and I think it's Disney's "other" three parks that take the punch.

I live close to Orlando and I strongly suspect that my entire 2025 Disney budget will be spent in Universal for the year over multiple weekends. I let my Disney annual pass expire this year (first time EVER since 1998) and It's ALL going to Tokyo Disney in Nov. It's hard for me to believe but my entire 2025 Disney budget is going to Universal. There is just no reason for me to go to. I'm paying to ride Splash Mountain in Tokyo this year. Maybe I'll see Tiana's in 2026?

MK will basically be OK,...it's their other three parks that WILL ABSOLUTEY suffer. (Disney hotels revenue WILL ABSOLUTELY suffer too. I think Universal Hotels will steal a good chunk of it)

For the first time ever,...Universal will now have it's own three day park/hotel "bubble" too.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

It’s surprises me that so many wdw fans dont really seem to be in it for the attractions. Isnt attractions the main point?
I think you are confusing rides and attractions. One of the biggest draws to the castle parks are the castle, fireworks, parades and character meets.
The river is home to the riverboat which is a ride.

The island is an attraction which does involve a boat ride over and back - while the raft ride is not some incredible thing, it’s part of the experience.

The River also provides a backdrop and scenic element for the railroad, big thunder, and splash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom