Cars Land After a Decade: How Are We Feeling?

EPCOTCenterLover

"Of course. No one's saying make it depressing. Frontierland would be an abysmal experience if it were just modeled after a real ghost town or desert. But they "Disney-fied" it and there's no reason to believe they couldn't do the same with a Route 66 themed land. I just imagine how awesome it would be if they took inspiration from the old Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, created beautiful and unique show scenes through caverns and moved the Autopia ride system over to DCA to have us drive through it. I'd actually stand in line for something like that. As it stands, the only thing unique about the Autopia over in DL is it's ability to provide young ones a "chance to drive".

I agree there should have been a mini-utopia in the land with miniatures of the Cars characters to drive. But not at the expense of Radiator Springs Racers.

DavidDL

I agree there should have been a mini-utopia in the land with miniatures of the Cars characters to drive. But not at the expense of Radiator Springs Racers.

-and I'm not sure why people keep thinking that I'm advocating for the removal of RSR. My belief has always been a land themed to Route 66 and car culture but not exclusively locked into the franchise, Cars. Because then, you can build an amazing ride like RSR and do things like move the Autopia over from Disneyland (to free up expansion space there), and think about more creative attractions or include other IPs to widen your audience net.

Anaheim isn't like Disney World. They can't just keep building outwardly as much as they feel like it. They need to be smart about what goes where long term because they'll inevitably want to expand again at some point or shake things up.

The issue I'm trying to illustrate is this: imagine if over in Disneyland, instead of Main Street USA, Tomorrowland, Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Critter Country, Galaxy's Edge, Fantasyland, Frontierland and Toon Town (9 "generic" themed lands) we had 9 lands, each dedicated to a single film or franchise. Instead, imagine if we had UP-land, Snow White-land, Roger Rabbit-land, Winnie the Pooh-land, Toy Story-land, Iron-Man-Land, Zorro-land, Princess and the Frog-land and A New Hope-land. That's literally what "Carsland" has done to the space over in DCA.

Hyper specific, single franchise lands, all 9 of them. Would they be fun? Absolutely! But you're not allowed to think of or include attractions from other franchises or even other ideas, in general. You're now effectively also land-locked and unable to build anything truly new. Because they wouldn't have thought long term. That's why it's better to have a land like "Tomorrowland" which finds home for Buzz, Star Wars, Space Mountain, Nemo, etc. instead of just "Finding Nemo-land".

That's the only point I'm trying to make here regarding my opinions on the matter. Should RSR exisit? Absolutely! But it should exist within a land that is able to have other attractions from other ideas. Not just from Cars.

Last edited:

Miru

The greatest Mono-IP land in Disney history, if not the best in all history. While the “Car Land” would have opened up a revival of World of Motion, it would have looked as ugly and tacky as 1.0 and Pixar Pier. It seems to have a distilled magic and atmosphere that other mono-IP lands almost deliberately lack. It is very much the NOS of DCA.

Suspirian

Car Land would have been better. More opportunity for expansion and world building.
I agree. Wonderfull land though

The thing with the single-IP lands and Disney's affinity for them that confuses me is how limiting they are. I feel like an "original" area with attractions that are all IPs would be just as much of a draw as a single IP land if not more.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The greatest Mono-IP land in Disney history, if not the best in all history. While the “Car Land” would have opened up a revival of World of Motion, it would have looked as ugly and tacky as 1.0 and Pixar Pier. It seems to have a distilled magic and atmosphere that other mono-IP lands almost deliberately lack. It is very much the NOS of DCA.
Based on the concept art for Car Land, I disagree that it would have looked like DCA 1.0. There were plenty of details in the art that 1.0 lacked.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Cars Land officially turned 10-years-old two days ago on June 13th. Remember when we were hyped about its opening and followed the development and construction? It’s been nearly 15 years since Disney first announced Cars Land. Time flies.

Cheers to the only Disney IP land that I like.🥂 Happy Birthday, Cars Land.🥳

TrainsOfDisney

Carsland is excellent. The land has so much kinetic energy from the junkyard, dancing cars, and racers. Wherever you are in the land you hear guests enjoying attractions. There are 2 wonderfully themed restaurants, and several unique gift shops.

The various characters driving throughout the land for meet and greets also add to the energy and lived in feel of the land. (Cars driving around cars land is easy yet droids is somehow impossible? :p)

J4546

I think DCA is a pretty good sister park to DL. Still needs to make use of its expansion zones though, def needs more rides overall but I really like a lot of the rides and lands that it has

Professortango1

I do like Carsland, but I would love to see Luigi's replaced with a darkride C ticket. I also hate where Mater is positioned at the center of the park and in AC's walkway.

The look of the land is great and RSR is clearly the the best ride in the park now. I consider it the only genuine Disney E-Ticket experience.

Professortango1

I know im crazy but I think GRR is the best ride in CA, also I really like river rapids style rides and water rides in general
If GRR had some moments, it would be better. Right now it feels so unfinished in terms of Disney quality. Its gorgeous, but it lacks identity or points of interest. Its just a really well done forest landscape.

I also wish they had not gone cheap and made the mountain hollow to use for either indoor portions of GRR or another attraction utilizing its large footprint.

Popeye in IOA is my favourite River Rafting ride. I also really loved the short lived Grand Canyon Rapids at MGM Grand Adventures in Las Vegas. Kali is my absolute least favourite.

DLR92

If GRR had some moments, it would be better. Right now it feels so unfinished in terms of Disney quality. Its gorgeous, but it lacks identity or points of interest. Its just a really well done forest landscape.

I also wish they had not gone cheap and made the mountain hollow to use for either indoor portions of GRR or another attraction utilizing its large footprint.

Popeye in IOA is my favourite River Rafting ride. I also really loved the short lived Grand Canyon Rapids at MGM Grand Adventures in Las Vegas. Kali is my absolute least favourite.
I thought Grizzly Peak is hollow to allow future development?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom