Cars Land After a Decade: How Are We Feeling?

DanielBB8

Please don't speak for me or put words in my mouth.

Flik's Fun Faire was never Imagineering's shining gem but "it's tough to be a bug!" was one of my favorite attractions in the park before we lost it. Additionally, walking through "a bugs land" towards the Tower of Terror was my favorite way to approach that attraction because the visual gags in "a bugs land" made you feel appropriately small on approach. -and the Tower, larger than life.

Also, this isn't an argument. It's me sharing my opinions and you sharing yours. Despite not having any "attractions", I love Pacific Wharf and that area, in general because I love the Bay-area aesthetic and felt it was captured well enough. My wife and I also spent our first anniversary in the Bay so it reminds us of that as well. Grizzly Peak is one of my favorite areas of the resort because of it's relaxing atmosphere, water and tree elements. Finally, Paradise Park and the nearby Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta outdoor dining area may very well be my favorite place to sit down and enjoy a meal in the resort (up there with Blue Bayou). You like what you like and I like what I do.

I am happy that in 10 years you will still love Carsland. But different folks, different strokes, you need to understand that. I enjoy walking though and climbing up the Grizzly Peak Challenge trail more than I enjoy Larry the Cable guy singing to me in a junkyard. That's just me. -and I'll say it again, I enjoy and have fun in Carsland. I just don't think it was the right creative, long term choice for Disney California Adventure. If you dropped a roller coaster in my backyard, I would have fun riding it while still being able to honestly say I don't think it belongs there.
I would have been happy if they put Superheroes Land beyond Bug's Land and into the Expansion Pad and above in Hollywood Pictures Backlot as was rumored, but they didn't. I did not expect you defend it since demolishing Carsland was your point. I also enjoyed Bug's Land and was sorry to see it go. Bug's Land isn't California. It's a stretch for it to be. Nonetheless "Disney California Adventure" You're kinda all over the map, but this is your feelings and you're at peace with it.

Mac Tonight

It isn’t though. At least, not the newer films.

Disney’s creativity peaked from Mickey Mouse’s inception up until the late 60s. Movies, park attractions, whatever. It didn’t matter.

It had everything to do with Walt’s leadership style, and the drive that the old guard had. That’s why, through the 80s and 90s, we saw many great projects out of the parks. The old guard was still around in Imagineering, and they were able to train the newcomers.

If anything, Disney’s inability to create memorable and unique experiences with even their most lucrative properties is quite telling of their creative struggles. The old guys created a memorable and iconic attraction out of Wind and the Willows, with plywood flats no less. You’re telling me they can’t do the same with Mickey Mouse and Frozen?
Did you not enjoy Epcot Center?!?!?!?

DavidDL

I would have been happy if they put Superheroes Land beyond Bug's Land and into the Expansion Pad and above in Hollywood Pictures Backlot as was rumored, but they didn't. I did not expect you defend it since demolishing Carsland was your point. I also enjoyed Bug's Land and was sorry to see it go. Bug's Land isn't California. It's a stretch for it to be. Nonetheless "Disney California Adventure" You're kinda all over the map, but this is your feelings and you're at peace with it.

I agree, "bugs land" wasn't technically California. But "it's tough to be a bug" spawned off of and was attached to, the larger, generic "Golden State"/Bountiful Garden/farming area of that zone. It's current form was always living on borrowed time and I'll admit that. A larger, "California Farmland"-type of land that features Bug's Life characters and attractions along side other actual, fun attractions would have been more proper, in my eyes, for California Adventure.

But we never got that, we got tractors to stare at, haha. On the whole, I'm not upset that we lost "a bugs land" in it's current form, as silly as it was and even tough I appreciate some of the visual gags and shaded areas. I was more upset that you'd try to speak for me forgetting about it entirely.

There's always a right way to do things. I believe it can be done. I think there's a right way to include Cars in California Adventure. I think that way is to put the characters and attraction in a larger land that encompasses more ideas than just one movie. I think Bugs Life is a perfect fit for DCA, too, if included in a land that, on a larger scale, celebrates California's central farmland. I know that sounds tough to do but I think with the right money and people, it can be done. What we got before certainly wasn't it.

Look, I'm not insane. I don't think the static, CAT tractors of DCA 1.0 are better than Carsland. No way. Carsland is 1000% an upgrade to that. I just would have upgraded the area differently, if it were up to me. But it's not and we don't always see the opportunities we imagine come to fruition. I want good, same as you. What was there before wasn't. I think we just each want a different kind of "good" to replace the bad.

Edit: Also, demolishing Carsland was my point? You've missed my points entirely. My point, is that I wish something else that better fit the theme of the park had been built instead. -and I wish that because I worry about the Cars IP having the timeless longevity of other themes or ideas. Or other IPs that someday may need a place to move in and might someday be forced to kick some or all of Cars out, which would require massive work from Disney because of how much of themselves they gave to it.

Last edited:

DavidDL

Sorry, also have to add that "bugs land" had more of a transition/connection to California before the farming area just outside of it was destroyed to make way for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. "a bugs land" wasn't good and neither was the farm area outside of it but it always, just barely, held on to a loose connection and transition connected to the state of California. When Carsland was built, it completely destroyed any evidence of that.

EPCOTCenterLover

I think when the Cars franchise is no longer loved, Cars Land can be rather easily changed into Americana Route 66. The peaks of the range and the interior of Radiator Springs not withstanding.

DanielBB8

There will always be a Disney marquee attraction at a generic Route 66 land. It will remain Radiator Springs Racers. Disney won't be able to convert existing buildings into their real Route 66 landmarks without a hefty licensing fee so they are likely to keep the Disney produced version. So it'll be a name change only to Pixar Route 66. Happy?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
There will always be a Disney marquee attraction at a generic Route 66 land. It will remain Radiator Springs Racers. Disney won't be able to convert existing buildings into their real Route 66 landmarks without a hefty licensing fee so they are likely to keep the Disney produced version. So it'll be a name change only to Pixar Route 66. Happy?
I don’t believe anyone has insinuated that they want it to say Route 66 everywhere, just that we want a more general theme.

Sharon&Susan

????

Who says Disney needs to copies real landmarks for such a land? After all you can recreate the feel of a place without copying it exactly (as Radiator Springs proves itself)

And that's ignoring Disney's Hollywood themed lands already have facades that are all based on very identifiable real life buildings.

lazyboy97o

Licensing fee? You really do make up a lot of silly stuff.

DavidDL

Why would Disney need to use existing Route 66 landmarks? Why wouldn't they be able to think up original attractions and locations instead of relying on things to be "pre-made" for them?

No one is arguing for less "Disney". Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, etc. were all "Disney" that didn't require a movie have already been made and proven a hit to build and ultimately, succeed. Yes, Radiator Springs Racers will likely always be there, it should be. But if the time comes they decide to retheme the general area around it to something more IP/idea-inclusive, they should re-work the exterior as much as possible to be less Cars and more "original Disney mountain range".

DanielBB8

I don’t believe anyone has insinuated that they want it to say Route 66 everywhere, just that we want a more general theme.
Disney called it Route 66 already in Radiator Springs. It’s so obvious.
????

Who says Disney needs to copies real landmarks for such a land? After all you can recreate the feel of a place without copying it exactly (as Radiator Springs proves itself)

And that's ignoring Disney's Hollywood themed lands already have facades that are all based on very identifiable real life buildings.
???? So they already did it.
Why would Disney need to use existing Route 66 landmarks? Why wouldn't they be able to think up original attractions and locations instead of relying on things to be "pre-made" for them?

No one is arguing for less "Disney". Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, etc. were all "Disney" that didn't require a movie have already been made and proven a hit to build and ultimately, succeed. Yes, Radiator Springs Racers will likely always be there, it should be. But if the time comes they decide to retheme the general area around it to something more IP/idea-inclusive, they should re-work the exterior as much as possible to be less Cars and more "original Disney mountain range".
So it’s original Disney as it is.
Licensing fee? You really do make up a lot of silly stuff.
Okay, Disney can just take it. They done it before.

DavidDL

Speaking of "generic" themed areas, if Disney had decided to dedicate a portion of DCA's acreage to a Silicon Valley/California Big Tech type of land, they would have been able to include attractions like the Spider-man W.E.B. building, ENCOM building which could have housed a Tron attraction, Big Hero 6's Insitute of Technology, etc., all in one land. Instead of being stuck with one franchise. Maybe a building based on Pixar's Emeryville headquarters to house another Pixar-themed experience?

DavidDL

Disney called it Route 66 already in Radiator Springs. It’s so obvious.

It's also obvious that Radiator Springs isn't in California. It's in Arizona, in other words, California adjacent. So give us a CA Route 66 themed land where we board a Cars character while on Route 66 IN California and THEN drive to Radiator Springs (the show building in back) to prepare for the big race and then return us to CA for the big race.

Wasn't that the point of the original Cars movie, anyways? McQueen was on his way to California for his big race before getting stuck in Radiator Springs? He eventually makes it there for the big race so why shouldn't we? It makes total sense for a race to be happening in California, then McQueen to tell us he knows some folks in Radiator Springs who could train us/get us ready (again, the show building out back), then have us return to CA for the finale and exit.

Instead, we're in Radiator Springs (Arizona) for the entire experience. It's a great ride and land. No doubt. It just doesn't make sense in the context of Disney California Adventure to a lot of us.

DavidDL

I love the whimsy of Cars Land. I get enough of the real world and all its problems.

Of course. No one's saying make it depressing. Frontierland would be an abysmal experience if it were just modeled after a real ghost town or desert. But they "Disney-fied" it and there's no reason to believe they couldn't do the same with a Route 66 themed land. I just imagine how awesome it would be if they took inspiration from the old Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, created beautiful and unique show scenes through caverns and moved the Autopia ride system over to DCA to have us drive through it. I'd actually stand in line for something like that. As it stands, the only thing unique about the Autopia over in DL is it's ability to provide young ones a "chance to drive".

DanielBB8

I
It's also obvious that Radiator Springs isn't in California. It's in Arizona, in other words, California adjacent. So give us a CA Route 66 themed land where we board a Cars character while on Route 66 IN California and THEN drive to Radiator Springs (the show building in back) to prepare for the big race and then return us to CA for the big race.

Wasn't that the point of the original Cars movie, anyways? McQueen was on his way to California for his big race before getting stuck in Radiator Springs? He eventually makes it there for the big race so why shouldn't we? It makes total sense for a race to be happening in California, then McQueen to tell us he knows some folks in Radiator Springs who could train us/get us ready (again, the show building out back), then have us return to CA for the finale and exit.

Instead, we're in Radiator Springs (Arizona) for the entire experience. It's a great ride and land. No doubt. It just doesn't make sense in the context of Disney California Adventure to a lot of us.
I agree about the Arizona location, but the bohemian car culture exists here in California too.
1618442690219.jpeg
1618442729849.jpeg
FF09D13A-65EC-4173-9AF6-BDB706AA9AAB.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom