Cars 2 Teaser Trailer..Secret Agents?

Ignohippo

" Disney OWNS Pixar, not the other way around. Plus, that's not a good example because Disney fired a lot of the better talent, cancelled all the original films that Pixar was planning, placed many of their disbanded Disney Animation Studio employees in leadership positions, and then rewrote, changed, or recut all of the films that were currently in production. They took people off of some really cool projects, just so they could re-render Toy Story 1 in 3D, Toy Story 2 in 3D, then they announced a slew of sequel films to previous movies (Pixar had been adamant about not making sequels prior to the buyout). For instance, "The Bear and The Bow" (an original Pixar film) had most of it's talent replaced, the story changed, the title changed to "Brave", and finally the creator/director just walked off the film because she was unhappy with the current direction Disney was taking it.

It's not exactly the "hands off" kind of management that Disney touts in their press releases. Even current employees have taken to calling the company "Pixaren't" because it's not even remotely the same as it used to be"

I have enough faith in Pixar to not let these sequels turn into the Shrek franchise but with Disney these day, you never know.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. It wasn't Disney that dictated these changes, it was Lasseter (ya'know, the main guy behind Pixar and now the head of Disney Animation)? He also replaced the Director of Bolt and changed its style and story as well as firing the original Director of Ratatouille – a complete Pixar production, at a time when Pixar didn't know who was even going to distribute the film. The reason Newt was axed was because the story quite simply wasn't coming together and wasn't good enough.

I would expect the Mater portion of Cars 2 to be the sub-plot. It's perfect for a teaser trailer to get people talking. After all, how exciting do you think a trailer of McQueen racing would be? Been there, done that. But, I'm sure that will come later.

I'm pretty skeptical about the Mater sub-plot too, but I've said that about almost every movie Pixar has produced until it's actually come out. They have a way of pulling these things off.

If you didn't like Cars, fine. But don't be fooled into thinking Cars 2 is gonna bomb. I don't know if it will have the staying power of Pixar's other films but it's going to be huge. You also have to understand too that they've made more money from Cars than most of their other movies because of DVD sales and merchandising.

btw, Bolt and Meet The Robinsons were produced (and finished) by Disney after Lasseter and Catmull had taken over Disney Animation. And, even though it pales in comparison to Pixar, I really like Chicken Little (it's certainly light years better than Dinosaur and The Wild)!

MarkTwain

That is true, but the thing with Toy Story 2 is that it was created almost the same way Toy Story 3 was. In the documentary "The Pixar Story" it explained that once Toy Story and Bug's Life were release Disney wanted to do a direct to dvd movie about Toy Story without Pixar and Lasseter didn't know anything about it because he was on the Bug's Life international tour. But when he came back he found out about it and wanted to re-do everything himself with Pixar and started work right away and after that Disney decided to just release the film in theaters.

I saw a documentary about that. John Lasseter came back to the states and took it upon himself to rewrite the entire Toy Story 2 plotline and script... in a single weekend. :eek:

That man is something else.

MarkTwain

I also think Cars 2 is greatly underrated. The movie discusses the genesis of the interstate system, and the death of Route 66 and the American roadside town, a subject that is very important in our history and one that isn't discussed enough in our media. When I finally saw Cars, I was thrilled to see a film that championed small towns and, by extension, America's heritage. The film also just had the feel of an American mythology, which I just loved.

To all the Brits that frequent WDWMagic, please pardon the ramblings of an overpatriotic urban planning enthusiast. :lol:

Bairstow

I also think Cars 2 is greatly underrated. The movie discusses the genesis of the interstate system, and the death of Route 66 and the American roadside town, a subject that is very important in our history and one that isn't discussed enough in our media. When I finally saw Cars, I was thrilled to see a film that championed small towns and, by extension, America's heritage. The film also just had the feel of an American mythology, which I just loved.

To all the Brits that frequent WDWMagic, please pardon the ramblings of an overpatriotic urban planning enthusiast. :lol:

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I regard "Cars" as the weakest of all of Pixar's movies. It's a thin re-tread of "Doc Hollywood" and feels like watching Lasseter letting his hobbies cloud his artistic judgment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Hollywood

Dragonrider1227

Honestly, I did see the trailer and think "Really? That's the best you've got?" but this isn't the first time I've done that. I recall first seeing a trailer for Toy Story thinking "Oh, toys coming to life when no one is around. THAT'S SO ORIGINAL!!!" (Raggedy Ann, Jim Henson's Christmas special about toys. Forgot what it's called) you get the idea. But I was blown away. I also remember seeing the teaser for The Incredibles thinking "... okay... it's about a fat super hero... great..." and again, getting blown away so I'm done doubting Pixar XD

imagineer boy

I liked the new trailer. I think it looks very good.

I especially loved the visual gag of the cars having to take their tires off at airport security. :lol:

Bairstow

. I also remember seeing the teaser for The Incredibles thinking "... okay... it's about a fat super hero... great..." and again, getting blown away so I'm done doubting Pixar XD

I remember seeing that and being totally impressed that they had paid someone to re-orchestrate the theme to On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

ttalovebug

I, for one, am getting nervous about Pixar's future. Rumblings on more movie-centric sites who know all the politics (which I cannot keep up with) are reporting major changes within Pixar. This whole "Brave" thing has so many up in arms, it's just like "American Dog". Basically people with connections inside the company are saying don't expect originality like WALL-E or Up anymore, and that Lasseter & Co. are beginning to fear real risk-taking in their future movies. I don't really know anything about this, mind you, but the rumblings on the Web are making me nervous.

Testtrack321

Wow...that plot sounds very thrown together. I'm not liking the road Disney is taking with Pixar. I know Toy Story 3 turned out great, it was my favorite movie of the year, but what's with all the sequels? I actually found an interesting post over at the movie review site I go to called http://spill.com where someone was talking about Disney making Marvel characters look like they are in the Tron universe to promote their new movie. But I found this in the post in that topic-

" Disney OWNS Pixar, not the other way around. Plus, that's not a good example because Disney fired a lot of the better talent, cancelled all the original films that Pixar was planning, placed many of their disbanded Disney Animation Studio employees in leadership positions, and then rewrote, changed, or recut all of the films that were currently in production. They took people off of some really cool projects, just so they could re-render Toy Story 1 in 3D, Toy Story 2 in 3D, then they announced a slew of sequel films to previous movies (Pixar had been adamant about not making sequels prior to the buyout). For instance, "The Bear and The Bow" (an original Pixar film) had most of it's talent replaced, the story changed, the title changed to "Brave", and finally the creator/director just walked off the film because she was unhappy with the current direction Disney was taking it.

It's not exactly the "hands off" kind of management that Disney touts in their press releases. Even current employees have taken to calling the company "Pixaren't" because it's not even remotely the same as it used to be"

I have enough faith in Pixar to not let these sequels turn into the Shrek franchise but with Disney these day, you never know.

Ok, seriously, do we trust everything we read online? I've heard NONE of this from anyone else, even the questionably reputable Jim Hill hasn't said anything about this firing and reassigning going on. Pixar has never been about NOT making sequels, it's been about making ones that are WORTH it. We're looking at 16 years for 3 Toy Story movies. 11 years for two Monsters, Inc films. While Shrek has pumped out 4 in roughly 8 years.

Did I miss several big news stories out there, or is this person creating false rumors?

T-1MILLION

Cars all around was meh. A weird take on a world of cars, since it left out people all together. Whatever..a fine fun summer flick from Pixar but still their critically lowest and one of their financially lowest films out of their entire catelog.

This Cars 2....really? A spy plot? The story of Cars nor did the box office results warrant a sequel. The only reason this is really being pushed forward is likely due to merch sales of course being huge, and John Lasseter LOVES sports cars.

Here you have a meh concept from the sounds of it, which does not bode well when many others are feeling the same way. Even the hardest of Disney fans are not sure. That should tell something right there.

Also. Tow Mater is just the Larry The Cable Guy character. It is really not that impressive or unique. Also its most likely about five years passed time for that.

erasure fan1

This Cars 2....really? A spy plot? The story of Cars nor did the box office results warrant a sequel. The only reason this is really being pushed forward is likely due to merch sales of course being huge, and John Lasseter LOVES sports cars.
DING DING DING... We have a winner!!! when all is said and done the old saying "just follow the money" will hold true. Now I did like cars but by no means do I think that it really lends itself to a sequel, especially before the incredibles.

Now of course like every other pixar movie the trailer comes out and I say "mehhh doesnt look all that great" and then I really like it. :lol: So I will wait to see it before passing any judgment on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom