Carribean Beach Resort or Port Orleans

DRJJH1

Hi, :wave: Im going to Walt Disney World in early october '05 with my wife (who has never been to WDW), mother and father. We are going to do the Magic Your Way Premium package. I know many of you are experts at having the best time possible, so Im looking for help planning a few details of the trip because it has been a while since I have done an all-inclusive trip to WDW (since I was 14 in 1989). Im going to list a few questions that I have. Any help with these would be greatly appeciated.. Also if anyone has other tips that might be helpful feel free....
1) We are either staying at the Carribean Beach Resort or Port Orleans, (maybe Coronodo springs)which one would you prefer and why? Im leaning twords Port Orleans because it's closer to Downtown Disney (I think) and I've also heard it's easier to get transportation to and from the parks there??:confused:
2) I know that we will get tickets to the Cirque Du Soleil. Does anyone have any other nightly entertainment (like dinner shows they can recommend)?
3) My Wife loves seafood more than life itself:sohappy: She will need to eat a lot of it.. Where are the best seafood restaurants in WDW?
4) I have been to WDW many times but have never been to AK... Would you
plan a full day there or just a half??
5) If you like PO--- French Q or Riverside and why??
Thanks for the help everybody....
Jeff H.

mrtoad

I have not stayed at CBR but I love Port Orleans, especially Riverside. Both Riverside and French Qtr are great though just differnt. POR is more spreadout and peacefull and POFQ is tighter and more quaint. Both have a nice boatride down to Downtown Disney. A great thing to do.

For a dinner show the Hoop Dee Doo Revue in Fort Wilderness is great fun.

Fulton's Grab House in Downtown Disney is excellent, for seafood.

I think AK can be both a full day or a half day. I could spend a whole day there but my wife and daughter want out so we do a half day. Depends on how much you want to do I guess.

Upvote 0

Siegemon

My take on your questions.

1. Stayed at CBR in mid June, loved it so much we are going back to CBR in Dec for 8 nights instead of 4. Loved the towel animals they left each day. Also the buses seem to be there about every 10 min or so for pickup.

2. Can't help we didn't go see it.

3. Cape May restaurant at the Beach Club had a seafood buffet, plus an outstanding dessert bar. ( Crem brulay yummmmm wish I had the recipe for it. )

4. We did a half day there, but we didn't ride anything other than the Safari tour either so I probably would give it a full day if you plan to ride any of the rides.

5. Can't help there as this past trip was our first ever.

Hope this helps some.

Upvote 0

AndreainNY

1). We have stayed at both multiple times and I have to say we like POFQ better. It is a smaller resort and much less crowded than CRB. We also LOVE the boat to Downtown, it's a great change to being on a bus and it makes Downtown feel like it is part of your resort.

2). Never saw Cirque - heard good things about it. House of Blues and Bongo's often have music, but I don't know if it is nightly, you may have to check their calendars.

3). Fulton's Crab House has REALLY good seafood, we have eaten there a couple of times, everyone found something they liked, even the kids!

4). Since AK closes early (in comparison to the other parks), you can easily plan a day there and still have time to do something in the evening.

5). I have never stayed at Riverside, but I know people who have and they loved it. We really like FQ (as I stated above), it really just suits us. The kids love the pool and the game room, and I am comfortable letting my 12 year old son walk to the food court at night by himself to be in the game room and get a snack. I cannot say the same thing for CRB and Pop Century (where we stayed in April). Both are much larger resorts. What resort you stay it and what you like about it is such a personal thing, but I would say you cannot go wrong with POFQ or POR.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I have stayed at Carribbean, Coronado and PO both FQ & Riverside and I prefer PO Riverside. It is the only moderate hotel that has a sit down restaurant open for breakfast that is not a buffet and I love their bannana stuffed french toast. Also they have carriage rides at PO.
I haven't done Cirque, but have heard many good things about it.

There is a fireworks cruise at Epcot where you rent a boat approx. $150.

Check out www.allears.net there is a section that has a listing of special things to do, as well as menus for all the restaurants in Disney.

Regarding seafood, many of the steak houses have a nice selection of seafood on their menus. Le Cellier (Epcot-Epcot), Yachtsman Steak House (Yacht Club hotel off the back gate of Epcot), Teppanyaki Grill (Japan-Epcot), Nine Dragons (China-Epcot). Coral Reef which is an all seafood restaurant in Epcot is okay, the last time I was there, I wasn't thrilled with the food at all.

Upvote 0

doc_holiday3500

My wife and I stayed at the CBR for our Honeymoon in Aug 2003 and really liked it. What we enjoyed most was the quiet pools which we took full advantage of to get a break from the sumer heat. (we could even see a few fireworks at night from the pool).

That being said we stayed at Port Orleans French Quater last October and loved it as well.

The bottom line is wherever you stay you'll love it. If you do stay at CBR I would suggest one of the buildings closer to the main eating area because it is a fairly large resort.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Port Orleans gets my vote

Though all the resorts are great, Port Orleans is a great choice.

1. For a dinner show, try Hoop-De-Doo at Ft. Wilderness
2. Take the water taxi to Downtown Disney for icecream OR seafood at
Fulton's Crabhouse or just to shop.

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

It's my turn to answer your questions!!

1. I've stayed at all the moderates, I say stay at FQ or Corronado Springs. All the mods are great, but I like the feel of FW and the way CSprings is laid out. They both are great. The Downtown Disney access from POR is better, but I feel the Disney Transportation to MK, EPCOT and MGM is easier to get to from CSprings.

2. Try Jelly Rolls... it's at the Boardwalk... Dueling Piano bar! Great fun, good drinks, lots of laughs!

3. Try Narcoosee's at the Grand Floridian! Good stuff. I hate seafood but my soon to be wife loves it and says it's the best seafood she's had! Get priority seating!

4. I like to spend a few hours at AK. I usually get there when it opens and get a FP to the Safari, and take a stroll around. I leave around 3 or when the first thunderstorm hits.

Remember, you're going to Disney World! Many are jealous that you're there and we're not! Enjoy it!

Upvote 0

Debbie

I've stayed at both Caribbean Beach and Port Orleans Riverside. POR is on my favorite list because of the atmosphere. I do like CB but if I had my choice; it would be Riverside.
My nightly entertainment would be at Magic Kingdom after 7, EPCOT until closing, and enjoying my resort the other nights. Downtown Disney is pretty at night, but the club scene isn't my thing (heck, New Orleans has enough nightly entertainment)
As far as seafood, wait and come visit New Orleans! We don't eat seafood elsewhere; it doesn't taste right to us....
Again, I think everyone in your party will enjoy Port Orleans Riverside. I've stayed at Polynesian, Contemporary, Disney Inn, Swan, etc. and Port Orleans is right up there with them.

Upvote 0

disneyteacher42

I have stayed at both CBR and POFQ and I would say POFQ is the way to go. We just got back from a stay there June 6-13 of this year and I really enjoyed it there. The resort is small so it is never a long walk back to your room or to the food court for a drink in your refillable mug. Also, you have access to everything at riverside since they are both part of Port Orleans. When you call, request building 4 because it is next to food court and gives you an even shorter walk. Also, it is about a 10 minute walk to the food court at riverside along the river which makes for a lovely walk. We went to Boatwrights Dining Hall which is the sit down restaurant at riverside twice for breakfast and it was outstanding. Try the Banana stuffed French Toast, delicious!! And as others have already said, no matter where you end up, your in Disney and you will have a great time!

Upvote 0

wdwishes2005

ive heard fulton's is good, i love seafood too but, i usually just get fish at a normal restauraunt, not a seafood one.

just stay away from Rainforest Cafe, and youll be fine at DD.

Upvote 0

Poodles

Siegemon said:
My take on your questions.

3. Cape May restaurant at the Beach Club had a seafood buffet, plus an outstanding dessert bar. ( Crem brulay yummmmm wish I had the recipe for it. )

I found these 2 creme brulee recipes for you.
I don't know if they are what you are looking for.

Caramel Creme Brulee
from Kona Cafe, Polynesian

16 oz Heavy Cream
6 oz Caramel from the can
5 oz Egg yolks
1. In a sauce pot over the stove, heat the heavy cream and caramel and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and add the egg yolks to the heavy cream mix.
2. Whisk until all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Pour 7 oz in each ramekin and bake in Baine Marie at 250 F for 1 hour and 25 minutes.
4. Chill for at least 2 hours.
5. Top with fresh bananas, sprinkle with sugar and torch.

Creme Brulee
(Bistro de Paris, Epcot)

Serves 8

12 egg yolks
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 cup half-and-half
3 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
8 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
Raspberries for garnish (optional)
Fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)

Whisk the eggs with the granulated sugar until well blended. Incorporate the half-and-half and heavy cream.
Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the mixture along with the vanilla pod. Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Remove the vanilla bean pod, stir the mixture, and pour into 8 individual 6-ounce ramekins placed in a baking pan. Add warm water to the baking pan so it reaches one third of the way up the ramekins. Cover with another pan and bake for 90 minutes, or until the custard is set but still jiggly in the center.
Remove from oven, take the custard out of the water bath, and cool to room temperature. Wrap in plastic and chill.
When ready to serve, preheat oven to broil. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar on top of each brulee and pat down evenly. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet under the broiler until the sugar has melted. This takes 1 to 2 minutes and the sugar easily burns, so watch the brulees constantly (if the sugar burns, scrape it off and try again).
Let the sugar cool and garnish the custards, if desired, with fresh raspberries and sprigs of mint.

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/rec67.html

Upvote 0

hcswingfield

Ditto

In case you haven't picked up on it from other posts, don't miss taking the boat ride from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island. It's much more fun and relaxing than the bus ride, especially in the evening. The boat captains do a great job of pointing out landmarks along the way, and are very entertaining as well.

And Cirque du Soleil is worth every penny!

Upvote 0

mrtoad

hcswingfield said:
In case you haven't picked up on it from other posts, don't miss taking the boat ride from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island. It's much more fun and relaxing than the bus ride, especially in the evening. The boat captains do a great job of pointing out landmarks along the way, and are very entertaining as well.

And Cirque du Soleil is worth every penny!

Even if you don't plan on staying at DTD, the boatride is a nice relaxing thing to do in the evening. It is the one time that my wife, daughter and I can just be together with no other reason than that and relax.

Highly recommend doing it.

Mike

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom