Carowinds by Paramount, anyone else miss this?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Not sure where else to post this, but nostalgia is hitting me quite hard today and not just on the Disney World that once was but also the Carowinds that once was as well.

IMHO, when Carowinds was owned by Paramount, the rides were well themed and the park felt more like a Universal side park.

My favorite ride was Top Gun (an oldie yes I know), but even the queue was rather nice with the theme from Top Gun playing or Danger Zone. When you got on the ride and were about to "take off" one of the Top Gun songs would pipe up and then you would zoom up the hill.

Yes, I know the ride itself is still there and Carowinds actually might be doing somewhat better today than it did before, but I miss this Carowinds.

Anyone else miss this side of Carowinds? What do you miss about it?

KentB3

Not sure where else to post this, but nostalgia is hitting me quite hard today and not just on the Disney World that once was but also the Carowinds that once was as well.

IMHO, when Carowinds was owned by Paramount, the rides were well themed and the park felt more like a Universal side park.

My favorite ride was Top Gun (an oldie yes I know), but even the queue was rather nice with the theme from Top Gun playing or Danger Zone. When you got on the ride and were about to "take off" one of the Top Gun songs would pipe up and then you would zoom up the hill.

Yes, I know the ride itself is still there and Carowinds actually might be doing somewhat better today than it did before, but I miss this Carowinds.

Anyone else miss this side of Carowinds? What do you miss about it?

UGH! I haven't been to Carowinds since 1993, so I don't know what to tell you! :(

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I miss Paramount's Carowinds, it was awesome
Bumping this old thread of mine to say me and the hubs are going to Carowinds tomorrow, the first time in almost 7 years! (Geezus, I can't believe we haven't gone to Carowinds for that long...)

I still miss the old Paramount, but I must say I am excited to see the updates! (That and to have a mini weekend vakay at a theme park)

21stamps

Bumping this old thread of mine to say me and the hubs are going to Carowinds tomorrow, the first time in almost 7 years! (Geezus, I can't believe we haven't gone to Carowinds for that long...)

I still miss the old Paramount, but I must say I am excited to see the updates! (That and to have a mini weekend vakay at a theme park)

Will you post photos, please? We have Cedar Fair platinum passes but I have only been to Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Kings Dominion. I haven’t been to Kings Dominion since it was owned by Paramount though.
I’d like to use our passes for more than the Ohio parks, but haven’t seen a good enough reason to make a weekend out of it.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Will you post photos, please? We have Cedar Fair platinum passes but I have only been to Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Kings Dominion. I haven’t been to Kings Dominion since it was owned by Paramount though.
I’d like to use our passes for more than the Ohio parks, but haven’t seen a good enough reason to make a weekend out of it.
Yep! Will do, probably at the beginning of next week.

maxairmike

Fury 325 is all the reason you need. Easily the top coaster on my list. I really enjoyed my visit last year and managed to get quite a few rides on Fury because it eats people like most B&Ms do. The remnants of the Paramount days are obvious (and makes me a bit sad remembering how cool KI was in the Paramount days, knowing it was probably similar there), but the main entrance is all Cedar Fair now, and is a great park as you would expect a CF park to be. I enjoy Mako and Diamondback more than Intimidator, but Top Gun (any Top Gun coaster will remain such to me, no matter how many different names they give it *cough*Bat*cough*) is the surprising standout in the collection. Was a surprisingly great ride, with plenty of force and a great, interesting layout. Definitely my 2nd favorite in the park.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Fury 325 is all the reason you need. Easily the top coaster on my list. I really enjoyed my visit last year and managed to get quite a few rides on Fury because it eats people like most B&Ms do. The remnants of the Paramount days are obvious (and makes me a bit sad remembering how cool KI was in the Paramount days, knowing it was probably similar there), but the main entrance is all Cedar Fair now, and is a great park as you would expect a CF park to be. I enjoy Mako and Diamondback more than Intimidator, but Top Gun (any Top Gun coaster will remain such to me, no matter how many different names they give it *cough*Bat*cough*) is the surprising standout in the collection. Was a surprisingly great ride, with plenty of force and a great, interesting layout. Definitely my 2nd favorite in the park.
I rode the Intimidator when we went last time. Is Fury actually better?

Gawd, I love Top Gun! It will always be Top Gun to me.

21stamps

Fury 325 does look great!.. I don’t know if that’s enough for a trip though.

Is The Bat at Carowinds the same layout as The Bat at Kings Island?

21stamps

Banshee is no slouch either and I sometimes think it's a better layout than DB!

I’m usually a fan of the very last seat on rollercoasters, but the front seat, outer seat on Banshee is my favorite. My son always wants to do very first and very last on every ride.. I HATE the first seat on Firehawk. As in- hate and scream how much I hate it the entire time, inbetween screaming at my son to hold on and stop trying to be Superman.. inbetween telling him not to die..

Yes, you don’t want to be next to me on Firehawk.:hilarious:

maxairmike

I rode the Intimidator when we went last time. Is Fury actually better?

Gawd, I love Top Gun! It will always be Top Gun to me.

I think so, though it seems to be trending the way of Millennium Force in terms of how enthusiasts are beginning to view it. Just like people commonly said MF was a bland ride, I'm starting to see a fair bit of that same sentiment building about Fury. Don't believe it. That thing uses its speed to give you a truly intense and thrilling ride.

Fury 325 does look great!.. I don’t know if that’s enough for a trip though.

Is The Bat at Carowinds the same layout as The Bat at Kings Island?

Carowinds doesn't have a Bat, their Top Gun is a B&M invert like California Great America's (completely different layout, though), and is called Flight Deck. I haven't been on many B&M inverts, but it is my solid #2 behind Montu until I get back up to Ohio for more laps on Banshee and have a chance to compare it more fairly to Raptor with a more recent set of laps (last visit was in 14).

21stamps

I think so, though it seems to be trending the way of Millennium Force in terms of how enthusiasts are beginning to view it. Just like people commonly said MF was a bland ride, I'm starting to see a fair bit of that same sentiment building about Fury. Don't believe it. That thing uses its speed to give you a truly intense and thrilling ride.

Carowinds doesn't have a Bat, their Top Gun is a B&M invert like California Great America's (completely different layout, though), and is called Flight Deck. I haven't been on many B&M inverts, but it is my solid #2 behind Montu until I get back up to Ohio for more laps on Banshee and have a chance to compare it more fairly to Raptor with a more recent set of laps (last visit was in 14).

Ok, thanks!

Not sure if you ever went to KI when Son of Beast was open, but I took these photos on Wednesday when entering the line for Banshee.

I think the graves were a nice touch.
2D20BD1A-DDD4-4C0C-855B-7F38C3AE7DE5.jpeg

4A3818BD-41D8-412F-A2A4-E7DFC0F628E6.jpeg

Here’s a photo from 2009 when I was in town visiting.. I know it was rough, but I loved this ride!

5828C317-1AB4-425F-ADEE-C4DC1A5442D5.jpeg

maxairmike

Ok, thanks!

Not sure if you ever went to KI when Son of Beast was open, but I took these photos on Wednesday when entering the line for Banshee.

I think the graves were a nice touch.
View attachment 288684

View attachment 288686

Here’s a photo from 2009 when I was in town visiting.. I know it was rough, but I loved this ride!

View attachment 288685

I think I'm the only person I know in the industry that genuinely enjoyed Son of Beast during all 3 stages of its life. Rode it in 2000 when it was brand new, and it didn't seem overly rough, but it was one heck of a fun ride and worth the nearly 3-hour wait. Rode it after the Gerstlauer trains were put on and the loop was still there, and while it was definitely getting into overly rough territory, I still remember it as a great ride. Post-loop it lost a fair bit of its luster, and was getting unbearably rough, but the layout still offered enough fun to overcome the issues, at least for me. I was sad to see it go, but RCCA screwed the pooch from the start and it was only a matter of time until it was scrapped. I was glad to see the grave marker in Banshee's line on my visit and had a good laugh.

Oh, Carowinds' mine train is fun, but doesn't come anywhere near the amazingness that is Adventure Express. I'd say it is well worth a weekend trip down. Two days is probably perfect, as we did a day and a half and we still wanted more time just to get more laps on Fury! If I would have had two days I would have spent time in the water park, but with just a day and a half I wanted to make sure I knocked out all the credits and have time for plenty of repeat laps on my favorites along with checking out a few new types of flat rides I hadn't gotten a chance to try yet.

21stamps

I think I'm the only person I know in the industry that genuinely enjoyed Son of Beast during all 3 stages of its life. Rode it in 2000 when it was brand new, and it didn't seem overly rough, but it was one heck of a fun ride and worth the nearly 3-hour wait. Rode it after the Gerstlauer trains were put on and the loop was still there, and while it was definitely getting into overly rough territory, I still remember it as a great ride. Post-loop it lost a fair bit of its luster, and was getting unbearably rough, but the layout still offered enough fun to overcome the issues, at least for me. I was sad to see it go, but RCCA screwed the pooch from the start and it was only a matter of time until it was scrapped. I was glad to see the grave marker in Banshee's line on my visit and had a good laugh.

Oh, Carowinds' mine train is fun, but doesn't come anywhere near the amazingness that is Adventure Express. I'd say it is well worth a weekend trip down. Two days is probably perfect, as we did a day and a half and we still wanted more time just to get more laps on Fury! If I would have had two days I would have spent time in the water park, but with just a day and a half I wanted to make sure I knocked out all the credits and have time for plenty of repeat laps on my favorites along with checking out a few new types of flat rides I hadn't gotten a chance to try yet.

I agree, the loop was the best part, I was sad to see it go.
Adventure Express is one of my last favorite rides.. but kiddo enjoys it as a filler if there’s no wait.

We may have to check out Carowinds, is it necessary to get a Fast Lane Plus pass there?

@KBLovesDisney Did you buy the Fast Lane?

maxairmike

I agree, the loop was the best part, I was sad to see it go.
Adventure Express is one of my last favorite rides.. but kiddo enjoys it as a filler if there’s no wait.

We may have to check out Carowinds, is it necessary to get a Fast Lane Plus pass there?

@KBLovesDisney Did you buy the Fast Lane?

I didn't buy FastLane, but I was also there in early May. I have friends that have been there in the swing of summer, and they would probably not say you need it, especially if you give yourself 2 days. Go in a shoulder season and you definitely shouldn't need it. The longest line during my visit was Nighthawk (Firehawk at KI). However, I'm also not bothered/deterred by long lines for coasters, especially ones I've never ridden, so I'm not the best person to give advice on that. lol

21stamps

I didn't buy FastLane, but I was also there in early May. I have friends that have been there in the swing of summer, and they would probably not say you need it, especially if you give yourself 2 days. Go in a shoulder season and you definitely shouldn't need it. The longest line during my visit was Nighthawk (Firehawk at KI). However, I'm also not bothered/deterred by long lines for coasters, especially ones I've never ridden, so I'm not the best person to give advice on that. lol

Lol.. so maybe this is the better question-
Do you buy FL+ at Cedar Point? I absolutely won’t go without it.. with Kings Island we do go to KI enough that I only buy it once per year.. on other crowded days we may just watch a few shows and leave.. but, I don’t have to travel out of town to visit there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom