Carousel of Progress

mhcueball2

Original Poster
Simple question...how does COP work??

Its very quiet and smooth when moving...and you don't hear any motors. Any ideas, pics, or sketches??

Tom

Beta Return
I would presume it moves on tires or wheels of some sort. Perhaps train-style wheels on a rail, or big tires (like the monorail) on the concrete floor below.

This attraction is VERY old, and I doubt it utilizes a very sophisticated movement system. A simple wheel or tire system with a central electric motor would be my best guess, or just a motor at each wheel. I doubt it's really fancy.

isnet396

The attraction is very old....

The building rotates using train track/train wheel system sort of thing. I'm not sure about the motors, but i could have sworn that I saw some pictures on some website that had some excellent "undergound" and backstage photos from the CoP that showed it more in detail.

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by isnet396
The attraction is very old....

The building rotates using train track/train wheel system sort of thing. I'm not sure about the motors, but i could have sworn that I saw some pictures on some website that had some excellent "undergound" and backstage photos from the CoP that showed it more in detail.

I figured it had to be a rail system - seemed the best choice for the time period they built it. Heck, it would still make sense today.

I bet it has a motor with a large gear system for driving it, or perhaps tires on the underside of the platform, like on many carnival rides.

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by DarkMeasures
How does a normal Merry go round work?

Midgets, an army of midgets push the building around...

Midgets are so multi-talented! I always thought they used a series of corkscrew and worm gears, but who woulda thunk - MIDGETS!!!! :lol:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Originally posted by attisb
The ride actually makes alot of noise but is masked by the music that is playing.
I've noticed that too, but I didn't want to say anything. I always thought that it was just that I had dog-like hearing. :lol:

Woody13

Originally posted by edwardtc
Midgets are so multi-talented! I always thought they used a series of corkscrew and worm gears, but who woulda thunk - MIDGETS!!!! :lol:

Have you ever noticed that when CoP is running, you never see the Seven Dwarfs in parades or meet and greets?:lol:

MeTa

I am pretty sure everyone that said track is correct and it moves on big tires. Sort of like when you go on a roller coaster and you see the tires spinning to move the cars.

dae_woods

Woody13 said:
Have you ever noticed that when CoP is running, you never see the Seven Dwarfs in parades or meet and greets?:lol:

Ah now I see. What worries me is whether or not just seven of them could push the whole thing by themselves. Seems like they might have some backup dwarfs that no one ever speaks of because all they do is push the CoP.

SpenceMan01

dae_woods said:
Ah now I see. What worries me is whether or not just seven of them could push the whole thing by themselves. Seems like they might have some backup dwarfs that no one ever speaks of because all they do is push the CoP.

4 that I've heard of: Dusty, Dirty, Greasy and Ugly! :lol:

extinctlover244

another question...

i've got another COP question: which moves... you or the stage? seriously, i'm all: :veryconfu and in response to the "7 dwarves" thing oy :brick: vey!!! you're weird, man.

peace!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You move; what made the carousel theatre unique was that the audience rotated around the centrally fixed staging areas.

Welcome! :wave:

More Dwarfs!!!

you forgot a few dwarfs!!!
Smelly, y, lumpy, dumpy, froopy, slumpy, clumpy, humpy(don't ask), and doped (once again, don't ask). I just want to make sure everyone got credit for spinning the CoP. THe problem with the atreaction is, they usually take monthly shift, and being that they are soo old,(I mean they made their first movie in the fourties) they are starting to die off, so they where all put on the bi-monthly shift, therefore they are only seasonal. what they need to do is find more dwarfs and give them crazy names and personalities so they can push the CoP. But as we all know, Disney's creative staff is lacking lately (hence such films as 'cinderella 2','lady and the tramp 2','little mermaid 2', 'emperor's new groove 2', 'Lilo and stitch 2 and 3',and so on); what disney realy needs is a new creative staff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom