Carousel of Progress Sign Change

rct247

Original Poster
It may be rather small news, but the sign outside of Carousel of Progress was changed sometime this past week. While I don't have pictures yet, I can decribe both the new and old.

The old sign was a blue gear with white letters saying Carousel of Progress. A perfect picture of it is on the Carousel of Progress Wikipedia article. Above it was a small yellow gear with the current year, 2011.

The new sign is simply a white arched pole with cutouts of the words Carousel of Progress in gray. The gear look is still there, but it is in wireframe form. Above the gear is the words "Walt Disney's" like the previous one, but there is no current year. The sign it lit up at night using spot lights.

Now on to my opinion. It looks bad. The sign is much harder to make out and read and blends into the background. The style of the sign looks like something from 1971 rather than 2011. I also think it is a downgrade.

Does anyone know why the sign was changed out? Is this temporary, because it almost looks like it could be.

Hopefully I or someone else will have pictures soon.

wedenterprises

One of my little pleasures was to take a picture in front of the CoP sign each year I went so that you could see the current year on the sign. I think that was a brilliant little detail they came up with. Would be a small shame to see that go no matter how nice a new sign might look.

Seriously what's the deal.... they change the weirdest things for no reason. :shrug:

disneyidol

Although I'm usually a lurker around these parts, the CoP is my all time favorite ride and I agree the sign is completely illegible. Now, to me, if this sign isn't temporary it could indicate a couple things: 1) The attention to making a change to the sign means they are actually paying attention to the ride and notice that it needs updating giving me hope that they will update the ride itself. 2) The lack of care to the actual change in the sign further shows the lack of care to the classic ride itself.

Thoughts?

Atomicmickey

Here would be my hope.

Of course, finish the sign. Looks like they're going to do that. I won't beat up on them
for temporary stuff.
Renaming it prominently as "Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress" adds a historical slant to it.

Include a new preshow film that puts the entire experience in context, tells the story of the fair and describes Walt's involvement with the entire thing.
Just a 5 minute or less historical overview.

Then, launch the show, refurbished and cleaned up, with a new final scene that brings things up to date--and a promise to revisit that final scene every 10 years or so.

How about that? Wouldn't that be cool?

So it becomes both an attraction, and sort of a museum exhibit about Walt Disney and the attraction.

hpyhnt 1000

Well, it looks pretty temporary, but my goodness is it bad looking. Usually they just take cardboard picture cutout of the original when a sign is taken out for maintenance; wonder why they didn't do that this time. It would have looked 10x better...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom