Carousel of Progress refurb?

iceman22

Original Poster
Will there be a Carousel of Progress refurb in the future? Because the future scene is more like the 1990's than the future. The only thing I’ve seen updated was the TV in the future scene.So has anyone seen or heard anything about a refurb??? :confused:

Expo_Seeker40

I have a feeling the CoP will be refurbed by or for WDW50th. The problem is many guests think that last scene is a replica of the original ending since we are told this is a tribute etc etc I think Disney will give the CoP a tiki room refurb n return the show to its original ending, explain it in a new preshow, and then never have to be bothered updating it.

The last scene has always been one big room. It originally endd w mother n father n rover in the room at xmas night. Took 40 years , but the kids grew upn went to pick up grandma n grandpa at the airport.

wolf359

I would suspect a retro refurb is in the Carousel's future, either to the World's Fair version or to the original WDW 1975 Now Is The Time version. With the Peoplemover script and now the Tiki Room script returning to vintage versions I'm sure the Carousel is next.

Personally, I'd prefer the World's Fair version, just because that one is virtually unknown to most viewers, but even Now Is The Time has been gone for almost 20 years.

In spite of the often repeated Walt Disney quote about the parks not being a museum, I think the Carousel of Progress should be one; it should be restored and maintained as it was originally created. Its purpose has always been a nostalgic look back, and now that it isn't important for act 4 to be a look into the future of the family home, I think makes sense to return the final scene to a bit of 1960s optimism.

MissMorrow

I'd only ever want to see the last scene updated. Although I assume they'd have to have an entirely new narration since Jean Shepherd and Rex Allen are both dead.

G00fyDad

This is my favorite ride in MK. I hope that they do take it back to a vintage setup. The future act will always need updating but as a vintage act it will never need updating and as the pp said, could be seen as a museum of sorts.

Cosmic Commando

This is my favorite ride in MK. I hope that they do take it back to a vintage setup. The future act will always need updating but as a vintage act it will never need updating and as the pp said, could be seen as a museum of sorts.
...which is completely antithetical to the whole idea of the Carousel of Progress.

Scuttle

I have a feeling the CoP will be refurbed by or for WDW50th. The problem is many guests think that last scene is a replica of the original ending since we are told this is a tribute etc etc I think Disney will give the CoP a tiki room refurb n return the show to its original ending, explain it in a new preshow, and then never have to be bothered updating it.

The last scene has always been one big room. It originally endd w mother n father n rover in the room at xmas night. Took 40 years , but the kids grew upn went to pick up grandma n grandpa at the airport.

I agree. It's sad what Future World and Tomorrowland have become, but I guess it pretty hard keeping up with the future. If they can get the show to that point where TDO won't have to touch it for 20 years then I'm sure they will.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I recently listened to Lou Mongello's podcast with Jim Korkis and he too mentioned he thinks it should return to its original state.

I, however, completely disagree. The Tiki room and many other original attractions were not about a certain decade, they were more timeless.

COP is firmly rooted in the decades that it speaks to, and honestly the average guest these days probably doesn't care about what the future looked like in the 1960's unless its a more sci-fi thing.

However, updating it every 10 years or so shouldn't really be that difficult. Then again, the same could have been said for so many other outdated attractions, movies, etc.

Tigger1988

You know what's even more outdated than a 1994 ending? One set in the 1970s or 1960s.

All they really need to do is modernize the current ending. Change the clothes, change the references they make to laser discs.

janoimagine

However, updating it every 10 years or so shouldn't really be that difficult. Then again, the same could have been said for so many other outdated attractions, movies, etc.

I agree completely ... it shouldn't be too difficult ... but when you have a former HR director in charge and making final decisions based on bean counters providing direction ... you have the mess that we have with Splash and Big Thunder (and Fantasmic and WOL and .... you get the idea) ... when you actually do get approvals to spend money, they do things like ad an interactive que (as cool as it may be) to an attraction that just had a major refurb.

jjharvpro

I say bring it back to its original state -- Disneyland version w/ Rex Allen narration. Since Tiki Room is now (somewhat) in its original version, I hope we'll see CoP return back to its older version.

wolf359

My issue with changing act 4 in efforts to modernize it is two-fold.

First, because of the previous attempts to modernize the show, the flow from act to act is odd jumping 60 years from the 1940s to 2000-ish after acts one through three only being 20-year jumps. To push act four even further into the future would mean something like a 100 year jump, and I can't believe that would flow at all from a storytelling standpoint.

But more importantly, I don't see how it is important for the Carousel of Progress to be some kind of "window to the future" any longer. Does ANYONE see the show to get a sneak peek into the future of home appliances? Some people like the music, others see it as special because it is one of Walt's attractions, others like taking a nap out of the sun and heat, but I suspect very few have EVER looked to the Carousel as a source of futurism. The first three acts were always a classic Disney-style "fond look back", so it isn't like the attraction hasn't been trading on guest nostalgia from day one anyway.

I would much rather see the show restored to look and sound as close to what Walt actually built as much as possible and leave the future guesswork for other more logical locations. Regardless of Walt's original intentions, the nostalgia we have for the parks and our wishing to have stronger connections to attractions Walt helped develop is far stronger and more important than continuing to tear apart an original, classic attraction.

Yes it is completely ironic, but in this case I think progress is the last thing the Carousel of Progress actually needs.

BalooChicago

Not enough room on the attraction. It would have to be totally redone. ;)

Actually, I've always thought there could be room for two more scenes. The load/unload theatres could be scenes with an operable curtain, but that would probably make it too long. (My thought was to bring back the old fourth scene, make the current one the 80s/90s [Rather than retro-future], and have a new final scene.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom