Carousel of Progress exterior refurbishment

JWG

I think seats and carpet could be done overnight/3rd shift couldn't they? One theater at a time over the course of a week?

roj2323

They could do a refresh on the final scene fairly easily and in a short time frame. here's what it looks like now:
Carousel-of-Progress-06.jpg
Carousel-of-Progress-07.jpg

So lets see. Update the TV to a curved screen plasma TV with modern graphics (graphics can be put together and tested before hand) Swap out the dining room table for something minimalist. Update the kitchen appliances (stainless steel peel & stick perhaps), update the lighting, update the kitchen island sides (glass tile of some sort possibly) and paint the bar stools black, Update mom's computer to tablet, Make those VR glasses translucent with some flashing LED's when they are "in use" Update the cast clothing and you're done. Aside from the cosmetic changes paint & tile everything can be done in a day or two. The tile and paint can be done in a night as well with the right crew.

WDWFANSINCE81

Just my opinion but I would rather return the last scene to the original version. The problem with making the ending current is that the time gap from the last scene to the new scene grows ever greater. My vote is return it to the original and update the exit. By that I mean, make reference to the future at the end of the original final scene and as the theater begins to rotate to the exit, remove the curtain and logo and replace with an assortment of different size and shape screens that show updates from the end of the last scene to the current and even future technology (i.e. tablets, phones, solar panels, self driving cars, Amazon Echo, Hyperloop, etc.). Start at the 70's and move towards the future as the theater rotates into place...when it stops...we are at the future...30 seconds of what the future holds and a "thanks for joining us on this look back..." and out you go. This makes the leaps in time consistent, restores the original (which many of us would love to see) and make future updates easy to drop in.

Chef Mickey

They could do a refresh on the final scene fairly easily and in a short time frame. here's what it looks like now:
Carousel-of-Progress-06.jpg
Carousel-of-Progress-07.jpg

So lets see. Update the TV to a curved screen plasma TV with modern graphics (graphics can be put together and tested before hand) Swap out the dining room table for something minimalist. Update the kitchen appliances (stainless steel peel & stick perhaps), update the lighting, update the kitchen island sides (glass tile of some sort possibly) and paint the bar stools black, Update mom's computer to tablet, Make those VR glasses translucent with some flashing LED's when they are "in use" Update the cast clothing and you're done. Aside from the cosmetic changes paint & tile everything can be done in a day or two. The tile and paint can be done in a night as well with the right crew.
Right on. As you mentioned, I've always said the final scene is about the idea of tomorrow and would be fine with minimal updates to just bring it up to modern times (Wardrobe, new TV, new game, etc). They'd also need to re-dub the audio to remove references to "laser disc" and "car phone" but I don't see anything major needed. We don't need them riding around in spaceships and talking about teleporting to another galaxy. The scene is pretty much modern as is besides the few things we mentioned.

I agree it would be quick, cheap, and painless. The Carousel is in much greater need of new seats, new carpets, and an audio overhaul. I'm optimistic they agree if they are refreshing the exterior.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

It's funny how the 1964 Last Scene looks a lot more like present day than the current one... Well except for the electronics...
And that adds to what I'm saying. There is really no difference between 1964 and now besides electronics, wardrobe, and decor.

The "old" scenes had no running water, no electricity, just getting electricity, etc. It already covers many of the major "leaps" in home life.

Society of today just improved on a lot of those things and added computing.

The last scene just needs to have a few modern touches like iPhones, tablets, updated clothes, and maybe a mention about Twitter or something. People are pretty much the same.

mickhyperion

I think the exterior paint looks great, but the attraction needs so much more than this.

If today's current imagineers and management could actually be trusted to do it well (and that's a big IF), I think they should update the entire show so that the scenes span 40 years each. As it stands now, we jump 70-80 years between the 40s scene and what should be present day (though we're apparently trapped in the 90s). Instead, we should go from the turn of the 20th century to the 1940s, to the 1980s, and end on essentially 2020 (nearly present day). That would mean losing the beloved 1920s scene, but with some rewriting they could easily fold in the technological advances from that scene into the 1940s scene and maybe retain a joke or two as well. The show could highlight the many significant changes between the 1940s and the 1980s, followed by the equally significant changes between the 80s and today. It would make the attraction more relevant to today's audience and less like something that belongs on Main Street USA instead of Tomorrowland. Since they would be updating nearly 3/4 of the attraction by doing this, it would be great to see some state of the art AA updates throughout as well.

HMF

The whole scene needs a complete rewrite... I would think WDI would HAVE to have a decent show writer on staff that could come up with a great last scene... something hopeful and upbeat like the original WDW version... and get rid of that 80s modern furniture... it looks awful!
Judging by the quality of the Show Writing for the past decade or so, I am not hopeful.

TheOrangeBird01

I think the exterior paint looks great, but the attraction needs so much more than this.

If today's current imagineers and management could actually be trusted to do it well (and that's a big IF), I think they should update the entire show so that the scenes span 40 years each. As it stands now, we jump 70-80 years between the 40s scene and what should be present day (though we're apparently trapped in the 90s). Instead, we should go from the turn of the 20th century to the 1940s, to the 1980s, and end on essentially 2020 (nearly present day). That would mean losing the beloved 1920s scene, but with some rewriting they could easily fold in the technological advances from that scene into the 1940s scene and maybe retain a joke or two as well. The show could highlight the many significant changes between the 1940s and the 1980s, followed by the equally significant changes between the 80s and today. It would make the attraction more relevant to today's audience and less like something that belongs on Main Street USA instead of Tomorrowland. Since they would be updating nearly 3/4 of the attraction by doing this, it would be great to see some state of the art AA updates throughout as well.

I'd rather they only change the final scene instead of changing the entire show. Updating the finale to actual present day (which as many have said wouldn't be that much of a problem) or going back to the 60's/70's version of the finale would be better than losing an important scene in my eyes. If WDI ever did decide to redo the whole show, they better be prepared for pitchforks and torches ;)

Bocabear

I'd rather they only change the final scene instead of changing the entire show. Updating the finale to actual present day (which as many have said wouldn't be that much of a problem) or going back to the 60's/70's version of the finale would be better than losing an important scene in my eyes. If WDI ever did decide to redo the whole show, they better be prepared for pitchforks and torches ;)
What about the beginning/ending scene? Could a finale act be built behind the curtain for that, and then dropped as people enter? I can't find a blueprint of the theater anywhere...
If that were possible you could turn the current finale scene back into the world's fair 60s scene, and then have a slick modern current day finale...though using this would throw it out of sequence I guess ...hmmm.....

Nothing new happening during the July refurb except, new seating and carpeting for theaters 1,2,3, and 5 and new signage. If they get everything done, they might put the new queue monitors in during the July refurb... But keep in mind the new queue monitors are planned for September. They're also planning on programming the outside lighting (Now that it's LED Color Changing, like the TTA lights.), the TTA lights around the carousel and the bottom ring lights will be synchronized together. But that's all I'm going to say about the lighting, I don't wanna giveaway that many surprises. I hope everyone has a great big beautiful day! :)

Bocabear

Nothing new happening during the July refurb except, new seating and carpeting for theaters 1,2,3, and 5 and new signage. If they get everything done, they might put the new queue monitors in during the July refurb... But keep in mind the new queue monitors are planned for September. They're also planning on programming the outside lighting (Now that it's LED Color Changing, like the TTA lights.), the TTA lights around the carousel and the bottom ring lights will be synchronized together. But that's all I'm going to say about the lighting, I don't wanna giveaway that many surprises. I hope everyone has a great big beautiful day! :)
Wow that sounds promising!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom