Carousel of Progress/Enchanted Tiki Room

SeaCastle

Original Poster
Is there any news on a refurb for either of these two attractions? Word is that they were considered being refurbished for the 40th anniversary, but not anymore. Sixteen years is a bit of a while to leave an attraction (especially one about the future) without a refurbishment, and the Under New Management show is a monstrosity.

Thanks!

rodserling27

I think Carousel just needs some small plussing to the final scene. Some new clothes, drop the line about "car phones," and replace some of the props. The new HD TV looks nice in there too. Otherwise, i think it's a completely solid attraction.

Tiki Room on the other hand......my goodness. Surely they can come up with a better modern show! I don't think they should revert it to the original, but I'm willing to bet something is in the mix for it sooner or later.

Korfar

I may be in the minority here but I don't mind the Tiki Room Under New Management. I find it funny and entertaining. My personal preference. I would like to see the last scene in COP redone to be more modern. It feels too 80's to me. I would not want any of the other scenes touched though. They are perfect as is.

SMRT-1

I think Carousel just needs some small plussing to the final scene. Some new clothes, drop the line about "car phones," and replace some of the props. The new HD TV looks nice in there too. Otherwise, i think it's a completely solid attraction.

Tiki Room on the other hand......my goodness. Surely they can come up with a better modern show! I don't think they should revert it to the original, but I'm willing to bet something is in the mix for it sooner or later.

agreed....or they could continue not caring lol

Monorail Lime

The "modern" ending is thematically weak compared to the original Progress City ending. It would be cool if Disney could restore the 1964 version of the show (Disneyland without the upstairs finale) but those props are probably long gone.

Monorail Lime

Also they really need to refurb the CoP show building exterior even if nothing else is done. The garish 1990's gear theme is so... ugh...

Expo_Seeker40

the cool thing about the current ending scene in the CoP is that it's still the same floor layout...the raised platform for the kitchen was originally the raised platform for the 1964 dining room, the windows in the living room are new, but they used to be large frames that (64 version) looked out into a suburban neighborhood and (67 version) looked out into EPCOT. The angled wall with the fireplace used to hold the GE washer and dryer unit

floridabill

COP can stay!!!

COP is a great original attraction! there is nothing else like it, it's the last piece of true disney actually left! I would be livid if they ever changed it!!:fork: but it does need to be freshened up!! Tiki room well something better can surely be done!

Bravo 229

While I don't see a problem with the Tiki Room now, I would like to see it either reverted back to the former show soon, or create a new show that draws from the original. As for CoP, I think the ending needs to be fixed, and why not use some of the ideas from Horizons and make them modern (after all, Horizons was a continuation of CoP). If they want a kitchen/family room scene, they could create a newer version of the Horizons kitchen/living room scene. Or, they could take ideas from their house of the future in Innoventions and have the characters interacting in that environment. It would make the 40th even better if the cornerstone/original attractions are given special attention.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
COP is a great original attraction! there is nothing else like it, it's the last piece of true disney actually left! I would be livid if they ever changed it!!:fork: but it does need to be freshened up!! Tiki room well something better can surely be done!
No one wants to remove it (at least no one has said that on this thread yet), but the last scene is pathetic. It decreases the awesomeness of the rest of the attraction.

the-reason14

If anything I wish they could redo the tiki room to add stitch like one of the overseas parks has, and get him out of tomorrowland. And for Cop, the last scene could use some TLC.

David S.

The "modern" ending is thematically weak compared to the original Progress City ending. It would be cool if Disney could restore the 1964 version of the show (Disneyland without the upstairs finale) but those props are probably long gone.

but the last scene is pathetic. It decreases the awesomeness of the rest of the attraction.

I respectfully disagree about it being "pathetic". I like the way the whole family is together in the final scene enjoying Christmas, which wasn't the case at the World's Fair version. The current version with the parents, kids, and grandparents all together gives me a warm feeling, like when the father says "As long as we're all here, and happy, and together for the holidays, who cares if I burned our Christmas turkey!" There's also a lot of nice humor in the scene as well.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but the current version is my favorite iteration of the CoP.

As for the widescreen tv mentioned in an earlier post, it makes it more "up to date", but one thing I noticed is the sides of the screen appear to be distorting the original 4:3 fullscreen image of the video game in order to fill the screen. Watch when the ship gets closer to the edges, it looks "stretched"!

As a DVD collector, these distorting viewing mode options are a pet peave of mine, as I prefer "black bars" (in this case, side windowboxing) to display the image in it's proper shape, without cropping or distortion.

Perhaps they are saying in the future, everyone will watch native 4:3 material in a distorted, stretched mode so they can achieve the all-important goal of "filling the screen"! ;) ;)

As for Tiki, I agree with those who want the original show back and would LOVE this since it's my favorite of the two. Although I will say UNM has kind of grown on me a little EXCEPT for the parts where the obnoxious Iago makes fun of the original show!

powlessfamily4

I have to 100% agree on updating the final scene of COP. My brother shared his love for COP with me this past summer. I have to say when it was over and he asked how I liked it, I laughed and said I loved the final 80's scene. It took me back to my teens. This of course was the due to the clothing on the daughter. I clearly remember pulling my socks over my jeans in the late 80's. The TV and video game just sort of look out of place with the rest of the scene. I would love to see them all wearing Christmas mouse ears and talking about the great Christmas vacation they are on at WDW. They could be members of DVC and be preparing to leave for MVMCP! ROFL

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I respectfully disagree about it being "pathetic". I like the way the whole family is together in the final scene enjoying Christmas, which wasn't the case at the World's Fair version. The current version with the parents, kids, and grandparents all together gives me a warm feeling, like when the father says "As long as we're all here, and happy, and together for the holidays, who cares if I burned our Christmas turkey!" There's also a lot of nice humor in the scene as well.
I'm fine with the story. As cheesy as it is, it blends well with the overall spirit of the show. I just think the whole thing needs to be reassessed from a technical point of view. They have futuristically outdated "car phones" and some video game with 80's gameplay and graphics, amongst other things that ruin the illusion.

David S.

Ah, I see. Well, that should be pretty easy to fix those things while keeping most of the dialogue and spirit of the scene intact. They could just change the "car phone" line to "cell phone", etc. I guess other than noticing that the video game appears to be stretched on the new TV, I never really notice those other tech or fashion issues, because I'm not really into technology or fashion!

I just really like the warmth and vibe of the scene (which I don't consider cheesy). It makes me miss my grandparents, and really, really, thankful that I still have my parents, including at Christmas.

gerryu21220

I don't care for the current version of CoP at all. Has zero charm compared to the Rex Allen original.

Same for the Tiki Room. Put it back to the original. The current version is just - annoying. (trying not to use the language I'm thinking).

atsolomon

I generally agree about the Tiki Room show. Waaay too much Gilbert Gottfried for my taste. The cynical message of the new management show is also antithetical to the ethos of Disney World.

But there is one thing about the Tiki room that I do like -- the preshow with Don Rickles and the late Phil Hartman as William and Morris, the talent agents. I think that is genuinely funny.

--Adam

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom