Carousel of Progress closing?!?!?!

tigsmom

Re: CoP's Last Stand?

Originally posted by A Kind Of Magic
Don't destroy "Carousel Of Progress" like they did "Horizons".

Why doesn't Disney put "Carousel Of Progress" back in Queens Flushing Meadows Park New York City?

It could be a walk through museum or placed in a storage facility because of all the space available.

Queens Flushing Meadows Park New York City is already a living museum with tons of information about the New York City Worlds Fair where "Carousel Of Progress"
first started as "Progress Land".

WOW! Takes me back to my childhood!! I grew up in Queens Village and we used to hit the park on weekends. Haven't been there for years. Didn't realize it still mentions the fair. :wave:

General Grizz

Originally posted by Just A Big Kid
Ok, i have a dumb question. Grizz, MKT either of you may be able to answer this one. Is there an upstairs to CoP? Me and my girlfriend is having a debate..:lol:

The only "upstairs portion" that I know of is the TTA. MKT did work there, so he's your best bet that I know of.

As for CoP being seasonal, it's this way, I've been told, due to guest demand.

Better a little CoP that no CoP, right? And if it is argued that it SHOULD close to produce a new attraction, is this attraction even in development?? ;) And if it IS "Flying Saucers," wouldn't this be more, how you say, DisneyQuest?

Disney's doing the right thing. Now, if they can start TESTING it during unseasonal times - and perhaps advertising - I would be DOUBLY respectful... :)

tigsmom

Re: NYWF and YES there is an upstairs

Originally posted by Tomko
NYWF info...great site for memory lane www.nywf64.com or accessed thru my site www.carouselofprogress.com

It fun driving right up to the Unisphere now.....

Yes there is an upstairs accessed by people mover. What you see is the old WALT model of EPCOT

Thanks

Tom

Thanks for the sites. Really takes me back I was as old as my youngest when the fair was running (8/9) and I remember loving CoP just as much as she does now! Ashamed to say I was never on your site before...very nice. :wave:

A Kind Of Magic

"time capsules" ?

There is a metallic tribute plaque where Disney's "Progress Land" (now "Carousel of Progress") once stood by General Electric in Flushing Meadows Corona Park Queens New York City.

I remember seeing the plaque a long time ago in an empty green field where it once stood.

If anyone here is living in New York City you should check out Flushing Meadows Cornea Park in Queens it feels like a very abandoned "Epcot Center".

Many people have argued it was the first "Epcot Center" that ever started in 1931.

Looking through the museum I can really see the resemblances.

I love to walk over the "time capsules" that will be opened up in five thousand years from now in Flushing Meadows Corona Park Queens New York City.

I always feel like a pebble in the miles of sand on a beach when I walk over it.

prberk

Many of you on this thread may be very happy to note that another Walt Disney Treasures tin DVD set is coming out on December 2 that is called "Walt Disney's Tomorrowland" and is said to feature all of Walt's TV shows and films where he discussed or depicted "the future" as he saw it.

I do not know if this includes any footage of the Carousel or of his work on the 1964 World's Fair, BUT it is supposed to have at least part of the EPCOT film on it, where he introduced EPCOT to the world.....

More info is found on http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27556
in the Motion Pictures, TV, Video, and DVD section of these boards.

But suffice it to say, it is really cool that this is coming.... and, no, I do not think that is a coincidence that it comes out just as Mission:Space brings a new push to Walt Disney Company's emphasis on the Space Age and "Tomorrowland."

Jerm

No the Tomorrowland DVD will be the space stuff that came out back in the old days.
"Walt Disney's vision of space exploration comes alive in this compilation of “Disneyland” TV shows about outer space and the opportunities and challenges of space travel (6 programs). "

I would love more of the park stuff but the closest to getting any of that stuff so far was on one of the treasures that came out this past year i think. I have them all over the place so I can member but nothing major on the later years of Walt in the park is set yet.

J

prberk

OK, no Carousel, but it will include "a look at Walt's last film, 'EPCOT,' where he intruduced... Walt Disney World and EPCOT" to the world, according to the official description being sent out.

So, not really a park film per se, but a great treasure nonetheless....

I sort of consider the "EPCOT" film to be the "Zapruder film"* of Walt Disney and WDW fans.... It is for me at least. A rare and valuable look at Walt's true intentions for Florida and for his future projects, all of which in my view stemmed from the same thinking that he put into COP and the original "Progressland." He really believed in balancing a love for the past with an optimistic (and perhaps sometimes a little overzealous) anticipation of the future.

* Zapruder film = the rare footage of President Kennedy's assassination that was shot during the parade in Dallas by a Mr. Zapruder on a home 8 mm camera, and is considered priceless, raw documentation of the event that cannot be disputed.

mikesenger

Just a questioin for everyone about this. If COP is only going to be opened seasonally/peak times, is there a good chance of it being opened during the wdw marathon weekend next january?

netenyahoo

It probably won't be open in January unless this rumor about it being open during the Alien refurb is true. I'd really like it to be open in January too as we will probably be there then.

cindy_k

Do you think it will be open this Sunday? It's Labor Day weekend. Does that count as a holiday?

Really I would love to be able to ride CoP and TimeKeeper but one is better than none.

Thanks!! :wave:

Yecats

Sometimes I don't understand the thinking behind the closing of these rides/shows. I love CoP and was lucky enough to see it last year. I am going Nov for FTP and truly pray that it is open as I have a new camera and would love to take photos. It has been ages since I have seen timekeeper and would love to be able to do that as well. I truly don't understand why they don't run these on Saturdays when the park is full no matter what time of year it is. We all know this. This would give those people at least an opportunity to see them on one day when there.

A Kind Of Magic

Great Big Beautiful October?

It’s about time for Disney to have a Museum or dedication gallery for there classic rides.

Disney don’t destroy “Carousel of Progress” store it in a warehouse for 30 years until you have funding to reopen it having modern parts to run it.

Don’t destroy it!

Personally I think “Carousel Of Progress” will have its last run this October 2003 and then it’s all over folks.

Sorry.

:zipit:

mousefan17

Originally posted by MrNonacho
I rode it today just for you, grizz :).

When I first got to Tomorrowland, there was a pretty big crowd waiting for it so I took a spin on the TTA and let it thin out a bit. I ended up doing it around 2:30. There were about 75-80 people in the theatre (plenty of seats empty).

The show seems to be in good shape, except for a few things:

-some of the set lighting flickered slightly in the "turn of the century" scene (really just a nitpick)

-the porch light was out in the '20s (slightly bigger problem since the light is referenced in the dialogue)

-the TV didn't come on in the '40s (biggest problem)

-you can see some of the inside of Rover's head in the final scene, but you have to look for it

Everything else looked and sounded pretty good.

wheni rode it in July there was a BIG problem.......something got mesed up and the carousel started to rotate, but then stopped, and we had to watch the same scene again...it was funny seeing it 2 times in a row!

A Kind Of Magic

Save CoP!

I don't want to see "Carousel Of Progress" every close at Disney.

In fact I will sign any petition available and go to any vigil imaginable to save it.

There has been so much talk and rumor of it closing for this year that it's breath taking and doesn't seem good.

I mean look what Disney did to "Horizons" and what they want to do for "Space Ship Earth".

Save "Carousel Of Progress"!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Change is good...

I say move CoP to Epcot and put something in its place in the MK that WILL be open year round... instead of a Vacancy that is there now (CoP and Timekeeper "seasonal" :rolleyes: ) :) :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom