Carousel of Progress audio issues

Tom Morrow

Wow, the audio has been an issue for at least six months? I really want to 'ride' it when I finally hit the parks again (after a long absence) on 5/6 but I don't know that I want to see it in such a poor state.
This shouldn't be shocking. Tower of Terror has had audio issues for several years.

Bad audio is generally one of my biggest complaints about WDW ride show quality.

rodserling27

There are a number of audio issues on CoP, it pains me to hear them. Crackling speakers, music too loud over dialogue (depending on where you sit), can't hear Mother when she says "John, [your] costume's ready," can hardly hear the phone conversation Patricia has with her friend, etc.
I agree with you @Tom Morrow - audio issues are always my biggest complaint too. Tower, Pirates, Mansion, CoP, Small World - they all lose some of their magic with audio issues.

prberk

There are a number of audio issues on CoP, it pains me to hear them. Crackling speakers, music too loud over dialogue (depending on where you sit), can't hear Mother when she says "John, [your] costume's ready," can hardly hear the phone conversation Patricia has with her friend, etc.
I agree with you @Tom Morrow - audio issues are always my biggest complaint too. Tower, Pirates, Mansion, CoP, Small World - they all lose some of their magic with audio issues.

I am, among other things, a sound guy at my church; and I have always loved AV stuff (probably like a lot of other Disney geeks that fell in love with the ideas of EPCOT and forward-thinking technology and promise there, but I digress...). Anyway, I remember the guy who trained me saying that, if the sound guy is doing his job, the audience will never notice him. It is when the audience "notices" the sound at all, that we are not getting it right. And since then I have very clearly noticed that this is true. (If, on the other hand, we have it right, the sound envolopes us like the person were speaking directly to us, and not yelling or whispering, and the music mix sounds live and natural.)

The Walt Disney Company is, above all, a show business company. You would think that, even more than the AA engineering or harder-to-fix things, they would notice the sound (and light) mix, and other classic theatre elements. This should be easy to fix, and should be done immediately when it is off.

rodserling27

My remedy for bad audio issues is to bring your headphones and listen to the ride track on your smartphone. I have used this on Spaceship Earth to get Jeremy Irons narration back when I don't want to know about the ABC's
Agreed! I've done this with several attractions - when it works out, it's AWESOME!

elchippo

Biggest distraction for me on my last visit (4/18/14) was the scrims were so thin and faded and you could see the turntables moving behind them, which had never been so noticeable in any of my past visits.

pmaljr

It's been an issue since last November. When we went on in April, same thing. If you sit on the rows with the speakers above your head, it is the worst. It's in scenes 2 - the end. The CMs were notified in November. It still wasn't fixed. Maybe they will fix it, maybe not. Maybe people in the lower rows have trouble hearing without it turned up, don't know. Hopefully they will address it at the short refurb.

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Biggest distraction for me on my last visit (4/18/14) was the scrims were so thin and faded and you could see the turntables moving behind them, which had never been so noticeable in any of my past visits.

Noticed this too and yes its very distracting!!

EpcoTim

I think if they really wanted to make this show more in tune with tomorrowland they would set the last scene to right around time when human existence becomes obsolete on this planet. The corporations and gov't's have pillaged the earth for all it's worth, toxins and chemicals fill the air, the family in the last scene is wearing their gas masks and radiation suits, explaining how it's all over and how mankind had a good run. At scene end everything goes black, you hear one gun shot for each member of the family and you exit. Upon exit you are ushered to a brand new ride based on Wall-E.

Talk about a very Disney way to tie an old property in with a new and exciting one.

RonAnnArbor

Some of the problems have been there since October of 2013...some have been there since 2010...and there have been no improvements for any of them.

Since sometime in 2010, the clock in Scene 2 is set to the wrong time...they are just getting ready to go to the parade but the clock says it's 11:15 pm...

Since the same time, the blinds in Scene 3 have been an absolute mess, and there have been shoe/dirt marks all along the edge of the wall near the table...

Also since Fall 2013, Dad in Scene 4 has had his head stock slightly toward stage left, and his eyes don't blink properly -- his mouth moves only partway. This has been the same now for 7 months.

It has been since Fall 2013 that the sound in Scene 1 has been at the wrong level for the first minute and a half -- partly this is because there is humming coming from the rear house speakers - once those click off, the sound resumes its normal levels.

I have twice written DIsneyInc to let them know about these (easily and cheaply fixable) immediate problems, but of course get no response.

This poor attraction needs not a minor refurbishment, but a complete top to bottom refurbishment -- from repainting scenery, to fixing animatronics and washing costumes. The sound needs a complete redo.

Disco Yeti

Maybe they keep the volume low so you have an excuse to sit through the same scene over and over again when it gets stuck. (We get to see this scene again? Oh goodie! Now let's see if we can catch that line of dialogue this time...)

Tom Morrow

Yep. I don't understand it. I know we often talk about how much better the show quality is at Disneyland, but it really is true. I am an audio and A/V geek of sorts myself, and one thing I did notice at Disneyland was how great, loud, and clear everything sounded. Same at Universal Orlando. At WDW, audio levels are often a mess. Unbalanced, busted speakers, missing audio altogether. Can't hear any BGM? Oh well, no one really cares, right?

A good example (among many) is Journey Into Imagination. The volume of Figment and Nigel's voices vary from scene to scene. Some scenes, they are loud and clear. Others, you have to strain to understand them. Sometimes Nigel is clear but Figment isn't, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom