Carousel of Progress and Meet the Robinsons

IcicleM

Original Poster
After seeing the movie 3 Times, now, haha, and loving every minute (including the Walt Disney quote at the end of the film) I've come to wonder about whether or not they might change or add on to Carousel of Progress.

Now don't snap at me and get angry because I have an interest in changing Carousel of Progress, which was one of Disney's ORIGINALS, but hear me out. A while back, someone posted the rumor of one of the imagineers saying that there was a plan to get rid of or change the Carousel of Progress and replace it with something "bigger and better". Perhaps it's about time they gave it a face lift, you know? Even on the busy seasons, it's not popular and crowded.

Secondly, on the Meet the Robinsons Soundtrack, there is a version of There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow by There Might Be Giants. Don't you think that's just a BIT of a hint at some kind of plans Disney made when they made the movie and the soundtrack?

Third, the movie ties in SO well with the thought of "Progress" and "Keep Moving Forward" and the Robinson family is a funny and cute family that would be fun to see in Carousel of Progress. Each time you rotated, you'd see a different part of the house and different family members, and Frankie and the other Frogs would sing a new version of There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, and the theme (when people left) would be to Keep Moving Forward. So really, Disney's dream is still kept alive, and no harm is done.

What do you think?

CThaddeus

I think the reason "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" was included on the soundtrack was because it was a holdover from the previews. I saw it originally over a year ago, and they played GBBT (the version used in the 1964 attraction) during the first fly through of the Future City. I'm not sure why they didn't actually use it in the movie, as the scene played much funnier that way, especially during the flyby of Todayland. I was kind of disappointed when I went to see it a couple weeks ago and the song wasn't there anymore.
As for changing Carousel of Progress, I'm all for a change to the future family scene, and any minor updates they want to do to past scenes. Do I want it to become a "Meet the Robinsons" attraction? No. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see an attraction for that movie. It would undoubtedly be one of the more wild ones in the Parks. But I don't want to see COP lost for the sake of another character attraction. I'm really tired of seeing attractions killed for the sake of putting in another attraction when it's entirely possible to ADD the new attraction and keep the old one. Of course, there's the argument that it's not the most popular attraction anymore, but why must EVERYTHING be mega-popular? There need to be attractions that people stumble upon and find to be amazing, ones that don't call attention to themselves by being loud, fast, or just plain overhyped. But, if the Magic Kingdom can't see the beauty in COP and cares only about numbers, then please, give it back to Disneyland. We'll happily take it back. We've still got the building for it...

I think the reason "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" was included on the soundtrack was because it was a holdover from the previews. I saw it originally over a year ago, and they played GBBT (the version used in the 1964 attraction) during the first fly through of the Future City. I'm not sure why they didn't actually use it in the movie, as the scene played much funnier that way, especially during the flyby of Todayland. I was kind of disappointed when I went to see it a couple weeks ago and the song wasn't there anymore.
As for changing Carousel of Progress, I'm all for a change to the future family scene, and any minor updates they want to do to past scenes. Do I want it to become a "Meet the Robinsons" attraction? No. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see an attraction for that movie. It would undoubtedly be one of the more wild ones in the Parks. But I don't want to see COP lost for the sake of another character attraction. I'm really tired of seeing attractions killed for the sake of putting in another attraction when it's entirely possible to ADD the new attraction and keep the old one. Of course, there's the argument that it's not the most popular attraction anymore, but why must EVERYTHING be mega-popular? There need to be attractions that people stumble upon and find to be amazing, ones that don't call attention to themselves by being loud, fast, or just plain overhyped. But, if the Magic Kingdom can't see the beauty in COP and cares only about numbers, then please, give it back to Disneyland. We'll happily take it back. We've still got the building for it...

Very very well put. In fact, I have nothing to add...except, no you can't have it back. I need it here, because to me it is the ultimate Walt Disney attraction. :)

IcicleM

Original Poster

Definitely good points. I took my friend to Disney World for the first time last summer, and he's 23, and he loved it so much. Are you saying that you're not using the Carousel building at ALL?! That's terrible... I thought they would have done something with it by now. My dad worked for a company called Celsion, and they have a breast cancer study machine, and were doing breast cancer studies with it, and were doing really good progress, but another company came in and started ruling things, and put the studies on hold for a while. The reason I bring that up is because Disney wanted to use the Carousel building as a sort of Showcase for future technology, and they had a conference with my dad and the Celsion company about putting the machine in... It seems nothing came to pass at all...

CThaddeus

Definitely good points. I took my friend to Disney World for the first time last summer, and he's 23, and he loved it so much. Are you saying that you're not using the Carousel building at ALL?! That's terrible... I thought they would have done something with it by now. My dad worked for a company called Celsion, and they have a breast cancer study machine, and were doing breast cancer studies with it, and were doing really good progress, but another company came in and started ruling things, and put the studies on hold for a while. The reason I bring that up is because Disney wanted to use the Carousel building as a sort of Showcase for future technology, and they had a conference with my dad and the Celsion company about putting the machine in... It seems nothing came to pass at all...

It's being used as our version of Innoventions, but it could easily be converted back COP. The outer part of the building even still rotates.

chinitopoop

no no no no no, i agree with matilda 100% they got plenty of room to build a "meet the robinsons" attraction somewhere else lets leave cop exactly the way it is, just refurbish it every now and then and leave it alone, maybe update the last scene a little bit but thats it, i'm tired of my favorites being removed because disney wants to market a new movie better, how about they focus on bringing more of their classics to life, like i've heard mentioned in other threads, so many other classic disney movies that don't have a permanent place in disneyworld, wheres that dam lion king ride btw? i'm still waiting for that, i say if disney wants to start puting things in mk , get rid of that little pooh park and that ariel grotto thing and put some real attractions there, that beauty and the beast ride that was going to be built sounds good too,but point is disney should not mess with classic attractions, if what theyre going to come up with is something like the recent tragedy over at mexico in epcot where i'd rather see the old attraction than wut they put in (still mad about that by the way, they couldve done so much better, atleast put in a donald animatronic or something rather than a whole bunch of tv screens everywhere) but back to the point, leav cop alone, let the robinsons go somewhere else, and bring back horizons lol thats my 2 cents

ThumperDude

Leave CoP alone. Go somewhere else with these flash in the pan new movie attraction. Perhaps create an entirely new 5th park just for them. Otherwise, I'll have to cancell my June trip to Walt Disney World of Pixar.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It really would be an extention of Fantasyland East if that happened. There again, they are systematically trashing the theme of Tomorrowland, and as you said rumours of the CoPs demise have been around (for over a decade now) so it wouldn`t come as a surprise.

I dare say the outcries of Toad and Horizons would be nothing compared to this if it ever happened.

FigmentJedi

It really would be an extention of Fantasyland East if that happened. There again, they are systematically trashing the theme of Tomorrowland, and as you said rumours of the CoPs demise have been around (for over a decade now) so it wouldn`t come as a surprise.

I dare say the outcries of Toad and Horizons would be nothing compared to this if it ever happened.

Yeah, but Robinsons actually takes place in the future, actually fits Tommorowland's theme, while the rest of the character stuff has been added in on the basis of being Sci-Fi (Monsters Inc. totally got in just for the teleporting doors alone, only thing futuristic about it).
I'm not saying that I want Robinsons to replace CoP, but maybe they could put a new Robinsons attraction in the place of Galaxy Palace theater or the Skyway station and have both families in Tommorowland. That and I've already been hearing rumors that portions of WDW's Tommorowland are to be rethemed after the future city.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ good point. There are still 2-3 usable plots in Tland; the Galaxy Palace - should it never go back to it's glory days - the Skyway area, from the WEDWay circle to the ride building, and the plot the Skyway shares with the much larger never-built-dark-ride of 1979-80, which would have begun between the skyway and the CoP, and crossed the berm to a show building (and probably meant moving the lake again)

There is spare space in Tland. We don`t need to loose another attraction.

dxwwf3

I agree. Especially when MtR is really just a minor hit that will be forgotton in a few years. Sure I enjoyed it and all, but it's not something people are going to remember, IMO.

IcicleM

Original Poster
I'm not sure about the Tomorrowland Dark Ride, and I've never heard of a Lion King or Beauty and the Beast Ride, but I do know that they had originally planned to make a Little Mermaid Dark Ride because the new Little Mermaid DVD revealed that, and you could even ride the ride in the DVD. The ride looked awesome, and would be an immediate favorite, but their excuse was it just never happened.

DizFanatic

OK, Mr. Traditionalist (me) is back again. 1, because it is a Walt original, and 2. because it gives me that warm fuzzy Disney feeling, is why I don't want any major changes to COP. Yes, keep the final scene up to date with the latest (and almost out) technology, but other than lighting, sound and AA upgrades, I feel it should remain traditional. Please don't bring other characters into it. Or if they want to completely re-do it, maybe they ca just move it to my house:eek: I know the whole family would love it! And you're all invited!
Back to the serious note, alot of good points have been brought up. A MTR attraction would be great, but NOT in COP! Please?:)

Tim G

Leave CoP alone. Go somewhere else with these flash in the pan new movie attraction. Perhaps create an entirely new 5th park just for them. Otherwise, I'll have to cancell my June trip to Walt Disney World of Pixar.

Don't cancel anything... This might be your last chance to visit C.O.P.... :lookaroun

It will be closed sometime next year...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don't cancel anything... This might be your last chance to visit C.O.P.... :lookaroun

It will be closed sometime next year...
Why don`t I think you are joking....

I swear if they gut it and make another cartoon / Pixar tie-in I`ll stick to DLP.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not sure about the Tomorrowland Dark Ride, and I've never heard of a Lion King or Beauty and the Beast Ride, but I do know that they had originally planned to make a Little Mermaid Dark Ride
What was this dark ride supposed to be?
B&B - the stage show was planned for DLP but never built. The Little Mermaid Dark Ride was also designed for DLP, with a clone for WDW planned to go behind what is today Toontown, with an entrance between Toontown and the 20K plot. More interestingly, the Toontown plot was to be the original WEDWay storage building when Space Mountain was still inside the berm, circa 1971, and in the late 70`s was destined to become a huge ride building; possibly the often-rumoured Mary Poppins dark ride?

As for the Tomorrowland Show Building, who knows? With a date of 79-80 it`s too early for Tron, so unless it was something totally original I`d bet on The Black Hole. It really would have been a third phase of Tomorrowland; an unknown building at the end of the plaza, next to the Star Jets elevators, a tie in with the WEDWay junction, a restaurant next to an expanded lake coming from the Raceway, access to Space Mountain and the Tomorrowland Railroad station, and the attraction itself crossing the berm to a huge building outside the railroad (pic 1)

Early 90`s concepts show the same space being used for a much smaller, possibly IMAX based attraction (pic 2)

Attachments

• Tomorrowland phase 3 map copy.jpg
    Tomorrowland phase 3 map copy.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 181
  • future_project_closeup.jpg
    future_project_closeup.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 129

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom