Captain Marvel

Mike S

Wait, whose been the face of the MCU up to now?

Honestly, I think it’s a non-issue. It has far more to do with promotion than content.

It’s shared between Tony and Steve as they’re the characters that people resonated with the most over these 10 years. To simply say she’s the new face before we even saw her first movie is weird to me and wasn’t needed. Let the audience decide something like that.
Isn’t that a bit “off message”? Since she never wears anything of the sort??

I know...don’t want to go SJW 😉
People got mad she’s wearing makeup in the Endgame trailer saying nasty things about the Russos.

Seriously. Over makeup.
Did anyone link this quick /film blurb from Feige?

“In future stories, well, none of the Marvel characters are immortal. Even ones that seem immortal, some people might be very hard to kill, but nobody’s un-killable. So if we’re lucky enough to see future adventures with Captain Marvel, of course there will be limitations and there will be Achilles heels and there will be things that we learn and see that it’s, it’s not as easy as a slicing through whatever she wants to at any point. But this wasn’t the time to accentuate that.”
Cool beans.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s shared between Tony and Steve as they’re the characters that people resonated with the most over these 10 years. To simply say she’s the new face before we even saw her first movie is weird to me and wasn’t needed. Let the audience decide something like that.

People got mad she’s wearing makeup in the Endgame trailer saying nasty things about the Russos.

Seriously. Over makeup.

Cool beans.

1. I would say RDJ really put the Mcu on the map. So he is the most important. But I’d also say that Evans has done the best job and is my favorite overall. It sucks that they’re squeezing them out for money...trying to “Johnny depp proof” marvel.

2. Brie Larson is easy to look at...which isn’t a bad thing (except maybe for a boyfriend)...I just don’t care to act like it’s not the case. All men/women are NOT created equal. Get over it, people.

3. Cool bean SPROUTS. (Gotta be heathy)

Mike S

1. I would say RDJ really put the Mcu on the map. So he is the most important. But I’d also say that Evans has done the best job and is my favorite overall. It sucks that they’re squeezing them out for money...trying to “Johnny depp proof” marvel.

2. Brie Larson is easy to look at...which isn’t a bad thing (except maybe for a boyfriend)...I just don’t care to act like it’s not the case. All men/women are NOT created equal. Get over it, people.

3. Cool bean SPROUTS. (Gotta be heathy)
The makeup thing was more about “OMG THESE FILTHY MEN FEEL LIKE THEY NEED TO DOLL HER UP TO MAKE HER LOOK PRETTY!!!!!!” with much more vulgar language also thrown in.

I only know this happened because a video talking about it popped up in my recommended. I know it’s a minority but crap like this is why I refuse to use twitter. People are insane there.

Princess Leia

The makeup thing was more about “OMG THESE FILTHY MEN FEEL LIKE THEY NEED TO DOLL HER UP TO MAKE HER LOOK PRETTY!!!!!!” with much more vulgar language also thrown in.

I only know this happened because a video talking about it popped up in my recommended. I know it’s a minority but crap like this is why I refuse to use twitter. People are insane there.
Carol can wear whatever she wants to wear 🤷🏼‍♀️ We know absolutely nothing of the context here. We’ve seen Natasha dress up before, so if Carol wants to rock a red lipstick, all power to her.

khlaylav

Just a note I saw: Cap Marvel's now in the top 10 Marvel movies, beating out Iron Man. Passed the $300 mil mark domestically, $900 mil worldwide. Should probably beat out Guardians 1 and Homecoming (which had $333.2 and $334.2 mil respectively), Guardians 2 is in reach at $389.8 mil, but would probably take more strong showings to pass Cap Civil War ($408.1) and Iron Man 3 ($409). So probably will finish at around 7, possibly 6 and probable upper limit 5.

Ironically, unless it flops horrifically, Dumbo will likely push it to 3 next weekend, and I'm guessing Us will finish 2 (again unless Dumbo flops).

Animaniac93-98

Just a note I saw: Cap Marvel's now in the top 10 Marvel movies, beating out Iron Man. Passed the $300 mil mark domestically, $900 mil worldwide. Should probably beat out Guardians 1 and Homecoming (which had $333.2 and $334.2 mil respectively), Guardians 2 is in reach at $389.8 mil, but would probably take more strong showings to pass Cap Civil War ($408.1) and Iron Man 3 ($409). So probably will finish at around 7, possibly 6 and probable upper limit 5.

Ironically, unless it flops horrifically, Dumbo will likely push it to 3 next weekend, and I'm guessing Us will finish 2 (again unless Dumbo flops).

It will be interesting if whether or not Endgame will renew interest in Captain Marvel like Infinity War did for Black Panther, as their two domestic runs will overlap. That could be the difference between this making over $400 million or not.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Indeed, CM is already #7 of B.O. Gross amongst MCU films. That's more than every Spider-Man, and more than every DCEU except Aquaman.

Note the average user score (67) is weighted by number of users between Rotten Tomatoes (56) and IMDB (72) [IMDB has more than twice the number of reviewers]. That spread is ridiculous and shows the impact of the RT bombers. No other movie with a CineScore of A has that low an audience rating.

Ripken10

It will be interesting if whether or not Endgame will renew interest in Captain Marvel like Infinity War did for Black Panther, as their two domestic runs will overlap. That could be the difference between this making over $400 million or not.
Right now it is on pace to go beyond 400 million. It is well ahead of the pace of Hunger Games and making more daily then that did. Hunger Games made 408 million. It is behind Catching Fire by 14 million but is quickly catching up (having made over 12 million more over the last 10 days). Catching Fire made 424 million. (note - Wonder Woman made 412 million. My bet is Disney will target this number and do what it can to pass it if it slows down).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Internet Hysteria Warning:

A fan tweeted an image of a "ship" of Capt. Marvel carrying Valkyrie in a romantic way.

Brie and Tessa both tweeted back basically: "cute."

And so, there are now internet click bait articles claiming that "Brie Larson wants a lesbian scene for Captain Marvel."

🙄

Now, Tessa is gay and there was a cut scene from Ragnarok in which a pretty woman was seen leaving her quarters (wink, wink). So, that's the source of all the fan "shipping."

But please, just don't post the link to the clickbait. Thanks!!

Tony Perkis

A fan tweeted an image of a "ship" of Capt. Marvel carrying Valkyrie in a romantic way.

And so, there are now internet click bait articles claiming that "Brie Larson wants a lesbian scene for Captain Marvel."

🙄

Now, Tessa is gay and there was a cut scene from Ragnarok in which a pretty woman was seen leaving her quarters (wink, wink). So, that's the source of all the fan "shipping."

Marvel Twitter stan accounts are just awful.

Mike S

🙄

If Marvel did anything like this (not necessarily these two characters but any characters) I wouldn’t mind it if they could make a good believable relationship that stands up with anything else I’ve seen in movies.

What I wouldn’t want is half-baked shallow pandering just to try and get certain people interested in your movie that are desperate for representation (I’m looking at you J.K. Rowling). To me that’s just really low.

NateD1226

🙄

I’m hoping this won’t happen to Frozen 2 if something comes out (no pun intended) about Elsa. I would love to have LGBTQ+ represented in movies, but it doesn’t fit in EVERY SINGLE MOVIE. I still don’t see how it fits in Jungle Cruise. It’s nice to have variety of characters, but it’s only right in some movies.

Mike S

I’m hoping this won’t happen to Frozen 2 if something comes out (no pun intended) about Elsa. I would love to have LGBTQ+ represented in movies, but it doesn’t fit in EVERY SINGLE MOVIE. I still don’t see how it fits in Jungle Cruise. It’s nice to have variety of characters, but it’s only right in some movies.
Jungle Cruise? Really?

If Disney puts it in Frozen 2 I don’t think they know what they’d start, or maybe they do. Disney movies are seen as the pinnacle of family friendliness and if this is put in some people will get very, very mad. Me? Well just look at my above post. Just make it good and believable. That’s all I ask. I’d be lying if I said it wouldn’t feel a bit out of left field to see in a Disney cartoon though.

NateD1226

Jungle Cruise? Really?

If Disney puts it in Frozen 2 I don’t think they know what they’d start, or maybe they do. Disney movies are seen as the pinnacle of family friendliness and if this is put in some people will get very, very mad. Me? Well just look at my above post. Just make it good and believable. That’s all I ask. I’d be lying if I said it wouldn’t feel a bit out of left field to see in a Disney cartoon though.
Yes. I don’t understand why they had to shove a gay storyline into the movie. It would have been fine without.

I totally agree. As long as they make it work and believable, I will be a happy camper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom