Captain Marvel

Princess Leia

Yup, my 9YO daughter wants the sheets, the dress, the shirt, the double-sequin pillow...
Can I just say that this makes me really happy? Like, growing up, if it wasn’t a Disney animated character, I didn’t have a lot of options for merch. I loved Leia, of course, but she didn’t have anything like this in the 90s. My sister and I both had different Padmé Amidala toys and books, but again, we liked Leia more.

After years of Black Widow, Gamora, and Scarlet Witch getting next to no merchandise (I’m not sure what the Wasp merch situation was like), Disney and Marvel are going above and beyond here for Captain Marvel. And it’s about time.

Mike S

Can I just say that this makes me really happy? Like, growing up, if it wasn’t a Disney animated character, I didn’t have a lot of options for merch. I loved Leia, of course, but she didn’t have anything like this in the 90s. My sister and I both had different Padmé Amidala toys and books, but again, we liked Leia more.

After years of Black Widow, Gamora, and Scarlet Witch getting next to no merchandise (I’m not sure what the Wasp merch situation was like), Disney and Marvel are going above and beyond here for Captain Marvel. And it’s about time.
Pretty sure I saw action figures but that’s about it for Marvel’s other ladies. If you’re not the lead I guess they don’t care. Stupid because I’m sure their merch would sell unlike, say, Rose Tico 🤣

Princess Leia

Pretty sure I saw action figures but that’s about it for Marvel’s other ladies. If you’re not the lead I guess they don’t care. Stupid because I’m sure their merch would sell unlike, say, Rose Tico 🤣
There really wasn’t a lot in the action figure department either. Age of Ultron- Black Widow was replaced by Cap in a box set featuring a scene from the film (the moment she rode the bike from the Quinjet). I think I saw one tiny Scarlet Witch figure for the same film too (not sure what was available for Civil War or Infinity War). I know Gamora wasn’t featured on a lot of Guardians shirts- most just focused on the male characters.

Disney is going above and beyond with this Captain Marvel merch (I want the Ani & Alex bangle so badly), but I would like to see more for the other characters now too. Gamora in particular.

Mike S

There really wasn’t a lot in the action figure department either. Age of Ultron- Black Widow was replaced by Cap in a box set featuring a scene from the film (the moment she rode the bike from the Quinjet). I think I saw one tiny Scarlet Witch figure for the same film too (not sure what was available for Civil War or Infinity War). I know Gamora wasn’t featured on a lot of Guardians shirts- most just focused on the male characters.

Disney is going above and beyond with this Captain Marvel merch (I want the Ani & Alex bangle so badly), but I would like to see more for the other characters now too. Gamora in particular.
Gamora getting snubbed is a damn shame. She’s an integral part of the team.

Mike S

To play devils advocate for a bit, I wonder if these companies have actual accurate numbers on their main demographics. It’s no secret it’s mostly boys that are into this kind of stuff but are the number of girls so low that would buy this stuff or even become longtime purchasers that they don’t see it being cost effective? I’ve watched several YouTube videos from one guy about sales of Star Wars toys and the line of dolls specifically made for girls don’t seem to sell well. Even then would boys buy this stuff? I remember being a young boy and the last toy I would want to play with would be “a girl toy” unless I was taking the head off of one of my sister’s Barbie’s (I was a little terror, lol). Now? I don’t care about toys and moved on to video games. In my favorite series of games the protagonist is a woman and I couldn’t care less because it’s a great game. Part of growing up to stop thinking ignorantly.

So, what’s up? Are companies stupid? Are kids stupid? All of the above? None of the above?

Mike S

What an amazing video. Gold star. It perfectly encapsulates recent thoughts I’ve had about how we seem to create our own enemies even using the same analogy that I did in my head. It’s like this guy can read my mind.

Before anyone thinks it, no. This isn’t someone that ever hated on the movie.

LSLS

To play devils advocate for a bit, I wonder if these companies have actual accurate numbers on their main demographics. It’s no secret it’s mostly boys that are into this kind of stuff but are the number of girls so low that would buy this stuff or even become longtime purchasers that they don’t see it being cost effective? I’ve watched several YouTube videos from one guy about sales of Star Wars toys and the line of dolls specifically made for girls don’t seem to sell well. Even then would boys buy this stuff? I remember being a young boy and the last toy I would want to play with would be “a girl toy” unless I was taking the head off of one of my sister’s Barbie’s (I was a little terror, lol). Now? I don’t care about toys and moved on to video games. In my favorite series of games the protagonist is a woman and I couldn’t care less because it’s a great game. Part of growing up to stop thinking ignorantly.

So, what’s up? Are companies stupid? Are kids stupid? All of the above? None of the above?

The dc super hero high things seem to be doing well. Honestly i think it is in large part to them really pumping the main figure story lines and not putting enough into the characters who's names are not on the cover. For example, I've seen a lot more black widdow merch than falcon, war machine, or Hawkeye. I do think marvel underestimated the appeal to girls in general with the lead roles, but I think the merch is much more a product of who the leads are.

tribbleorlfl

Until then she’s the ultimate Mary Sue
I’d like to believe the Russo’s are not dumb enough to Superman this.
That seems to be the biggest fear in and around my circle. Captain Marvel comes in and saves the day like its nothing. The heros of endgame should be steve, tony and thor, they deserve the triumphant end. They started this 10yr journey and they deserve to end it.
Here's the thing, ever since Carol gained her powers in the comics by fusing with Mar-vel's DNA, she's always been one of the most powerful Marvel characters (because he was). Super strength, flight, near invulnerability, energy absorbtion/manipulation. Even then, Carol is not without her weaknesses. Aside from her long-standing mental troubles, the magnitude of her powers are dependent on her energy reserves. Many times throughout the years she has been put out of commission for a while as a result of overexerting her abilities. This would be very easy to translate to the MCU, even with slightly altered origin, to avoid her from being a living and breathing Deus Ex Machina.

Calling her a "Mary Sue," though, displays a stunning ignorance to nearly 40 years of publication history.

Regarding the OG Avengers, I'm absolutely confident Tony, Steve and Thor will have a satisfying end to their MCU runs. That being said, I don't necessarily think that means they have to (nor should) be the singular ones to take down Thanos.

First of all, Infinity War demonstrated that while the three could take on and generally hold their own against Thanos, ultimately he was too powerful (and that was without a completed Infinity Gauntlet). I just don't see narratively how it makes any sense for one of them to be able to take down an IG-wielding Thanos when they couldn't in the prior film, so it's going to have to take the whole team to defeat him.

Second, while Endgame seems to be taking major liberties with the source material (perhaps more so than any other MCU film), it's important to point out in the Infinity Gauntlet series, it wasn't Cap or Iron Man that stopped Thanos. It was Nebula and Adam Warlock. Since Adam Warlock hasn't been properly introduced to the MCU yet, I could see Carol serving as his analogue to wield the Gauntlet and physically reverse the snap (seeing as she's practically a living Infinity Stone herself), while the remaining Avengers are the one to defeat Thanos.

Finally, I'm pretty sure one if not more of the OG Avengers is going to have to sacrifice themselves in order to stop Thanos. You don't get much more heroic or emotional than that, even if Carol is given the "knockout" or "anti-snap moment."

EricsBiscuit

Here's the thing, ever since Carol gained her powers in the comics by fusing with Mar-vel's DNA, she's always been one of the most powerful Marvel characters (because he was). Super strength, flight, near invulnerability, energy absorbtion/manipulation. Even then, Carol is not without her weaknesses. Aside from her long-standing mental troubles, the magnitude of her powers are dependent on her energy reserves. Many times throughout the years she has been put out of commission for a while as a result of overexerting her abilities. This would be very easy to translate to the MCU, even with slightly altered origin, to avoid her from being a living and breathing Deus Ex Machina.

Calling her a "Mary Sue," though, displays a stunning ignorance to nearly 40 years of publication history.

Regarding the OG Avengers, I'm absolutely confident Tony, Steve and Thor will have a satisfying end to their MCU runs. That being said, I don't necessarily think that means they have to (nor should) be the singular ones to take down Thanos.

First of all, Infinity War demonstrated that while the three could take on and generally hold their own against Thanos, ultimately he was too powerful (and that was without a completed Infinity Gauntlet). I just don't see narratively how it makes any sense for one of them to be able to take down an IG-wielding Thanos when they couldn't in the prior film, so it's going to have to take the whole team to defeat him.

Second, while Endgame seems to be taking major liberties with the source material (perhaps more so than any other MCU film), it's important to point out in the Infinity Gauntlet series, it wasn't Cap or Iron Man that stopped Thanos. It was Nebula and Adam Warlock. Since Adam Warlock hasn't been properly introduced to the MCU yet, I could see Carol serving as his analogue to wield the Gauntlet and physically reverse the snap (seeing as she's practically a living Infinity Stone herself), while the remaining Avengers are the one to defeat Thanos.

Finally, I'm pretty sure one if not more of the OG Avengers is going to have to sacrifice themselves in order to stop Thanos. You don't get much more heroic or emotional than that, even if Carol is given the "knockout" or "anti-snap moment."
I guess I displayed “a stunning ignorance to nearly 40 years of publication history” because I never read any of the comics and was basing my conclusion on her near invincibility in the film. Sorry.

Mike S

Iron Man, Thor, and Cap never really took him on together though so I think they could do it. I’ve never thought giving Carol the “anti-snap” moment would be a problem since of course Adam Warlock isn’t here (yet) to do it. Just if she goes in and takes him out easily like Superman with Steppenwolf in Justice League.

If Cap lays down his life, all I want is one line.

“I could do this all day.”

My heart would break, but it would be such a fitting end 😢

sedati

Finally saw this today and can happily say that Marvel (MCU) has yet to make a movie I didn't enjoy.

I don't really rank the films outside of putting Hulk at the bottom. What I was happiest about was that over twenty movies in, this still felt fresh and at least somewhat different. I liked the non-linear aspects to the film, though felt the past events could have been fleshed out a bit more. The film doesn't hold your hand too much, and expectations are played against quite often. The sense of the unfamiliar makes me a more engaged viewer.

Because of the storytelling techniques employed, I feel this might be better judged by a second viewing. But I would like to say, Brie Larson... an excellent choice. Honestly, she surprised me and that may have been due to the sheer amount of negative press, but I really liked what she did here. What so many called flat, I found a fascinatingly layered performance. Her Carol has a definate public persona- one that is brash and snarky, but with just enough of a hint at the fact that this is in fact a fabrication. Look at her every time she isn't being seen- doubt, frustration, and frailty emerge from those cracks. But beneath all of that lies a solid foundation that she's held since childhood, an unbreakable spirit that comes bubbling up and spilling out at the end. We watched a woman who wants badly to be a hero, but denied every chance through obstruction and deception. Much like Steve Rogers who needed the Super Soldier Serum to get his physical self to align with his true self, so does Carol Danvers find her ambitions finally merged with her abilities once her spoiler is removed.

It is a literal film of self-discovery. I found it an interesting journey, but realize we've only seen her take her first step. We should see where she goes from here.

But hey, Fury- see to your damn wounds, especially if you're at the dinner table.

Mike S

Finally saw this today and can happily say that Marvel (MCU) has yet to make a movie I didn't enjoy.

I don't really rank the films outside of putting Hulk at the bottom. What I was happiest about was that over twenty movies in, this still felt fresh and at least somewhat different. I liked the non-linear aspects to the film, though felt the past events could have been fleshed out a bit more. The film doesn't hold your hand too much, and expectations are played against quite often. The sense of the unfamiliar makes me a more engaged viewer.

Because of the storytelling techniques employed, I feel this might be better judged by a second viewing. But I would like to say, Brie Larson... an excellent choice. Honestly, she surprised me and that may have been due to the sheer amount of negative press, but I really liked what she did here. What so many called flat, I found a fascinatingly layered performance. Her Carol has a definate public persona- one that is brash and snarky, but with just enough of a hint at the fact that this is in fact a fabrication. Look at her every time she isn't being seen- doubt, frustration, and frailty emerge from those cracks. But beneath all of that lies a solid foundation that she's held since childhood, an unbreakable spirit that comes bubbling up and spilling out at the end. We watched a woman who wants badly to be a hero, but denied every chance through obstruction and deception. Much like Steve Rogers who needed the Super Soldier Serum to get his physical self to align with his true self, so does Carol Danvers find her ambitions finally merged with her abilities once her spoiler is removed.

It is a literal film of self-discovery. I found it an interesting journey, but realize we've only seen her take her first step. We should see where she goes from here.

But hey, Fury- see to your damn wounds, especially if you're at the dinner table.
I just hope when we see more it gets better. This movie I’d say was your average intro to a new character which for Marvel is really good. If she’s the new face of the MCU though, she has two absolutely gigantic pairs of shoes to fill. That’s the one thing I’m still not sure about and I think it was a big mistake and pretty unfair to put that kind of weight on her shoulders way ahead of us even getting the first trailer.

sedati

If she’s the new face of the MCU though, she has two absolutely gigantic pairs of shoes to fill. That’s the one thing I’m still not sure about and I think it was a big mistake and pretty unfair to put that kind of weight on her shoulders way ahead of us even getting the first trailer.
Wait, whose been the face of the MCU up to now?

Honestly, I think it’s a non-issue. It has far more to do with promotion than content.

ABQ

I’d like to believe the Russo’s are not dumb enough to Superman this.
Did anyone link this quick /film blurb from Feige?

“In future stories, well, none of the Marvel characters are immortal. Even ones that seem immortal, some people might be very hard to kill, but nobody’s un-killable. So if we’re lucky enough to see future adventures with Captain Marvel, of course there will be limitations and there will be Achilles heels and there will be things that we learn and see that it’s, it’s not as easy as a slicing through whatever she wants to at any point. But this wasn’t the time to accentuate that.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom