Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

I wonder if he was extremely upset that John Travolta was 23, Olivia Newton John was 29, and Stockard Channing was 33 when they played high school students in Grease. I wonder if he was extremely upset when Mary Martin was 41 playing Peter Pan on Broadway.

You stop that right now! Sandy Duncan is the only Peter Pan, and Sandy Duncan is forever ageless.

Miss Duncan has a glass eye, you know! (Channeling my Aunt Ingrid, who always said that out loud to no one in particular whenever a Wheat Thins commercial came on.)

index.php

Last edited:

celluloid

Disney Plus' defecit is going to be around a good while after some of the other streaming services when they are supposedly the saving of content that lost a hundred million dollars at a time in theaters.

They did not learn from Netflix for their series and Theatrically, they are too far in the red for Disney Plus to do them any favors.

Disney Channel beocmes more worthless all of the time too.

celluloid

Did Ms. Martin conquer that role with a glass eye?

I thought not. :cool:

(Geez I wish my Aunt Ingrid was still with us, she'd love this discussion!)
Also her Pinochio is one of the best versions of the character of all time.

"I've learned my lesson and the lesson that I've learned is that learning my lessons come first"

Fun fact: She also performed that role...with a glass eye

(my dad was like your aunt Ingrid) I knew Sandy had a glass I when I was five.

TP2000

Also her Pinochio is one of the best versions of the character of all time.

"I've learned my lesson and the lesson that I've learned is that learning my lessons come first"

Fun fact: She also performed that role...with a glass eye

(my dad was like your aunt Ingrid) I knew Sandy had a glass I when I was five.

So I just Googled, and Miss Duncan is still with us. God bless her.

I feel like having some Wheat Thins to celebrate her longevity and her fabulous career.

MrPromey

Where is Netflix getting this real money in order to buy content to put on Netflix?

Subscription fees. (And now, advertiser dollars.)

That's where D+ gets its real -- not fake -- money in order to pay its sister-studio for content.

Yes, D+ is operating at a deficit. But the reason it's running at a deficit is because it's paying real money to its sister-studio.

"BUT THIS LOSS CAN'T GO ON FOREVER!!"

Well, it can if TWDC continues to run D+ at a continual loss like Apple+ and Prime do. But D+ is on track to get in the black.

So, next year, when D+ is in the black, and people think this is all an accounting trick, they'll be hard pressed to claim "accounting trick" when D+ is making a profit and, out of that profit, is paying its sister-studios.

When/if* D+ gets to the point where it's fully funding itself, you won't hear a peep out of me about the kind of money it's spending anymore... unless it's because they've cut spending so much new content is crap but I'd consider that an entirely different conversation.

*The "if" isn't me being cheeky, either. I'm just waiting to see it happen. I think it probably will but I don't have the faith in the people running this company that is needed to say with complete confidence that it will.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Shut down their entire movie/television business to stop losses?
No, shut down D+ and sell the content to other steamers.

This stops the losses of D+ and creates real money coming in for the content they are making.

TV, just keep it, it is what it is.

Movies, they can continue to make movies (they think) will gain an audience, just GET A HANDLE ON THE BUDGETS. With lower budgets, they could break even or even make money on their movies even with limited audiences.

_caleb

This stops the losses of D+ and creates real money coming in for the content they are making.

Movies, they can continue to make movies (they think) will gain an audience, just GET A HANDLE ON THE BUDGETS. With lower budgets, they could break even or even make money on their movies even with limited audiences.
Sounds like you're thinking Disney has an option of going back to the old linear/box office model. Those days are over. All the studios are risking everything to get into streaming because linear and box office are no longer reliable business models.

Your post is stating the obvious as though it were some novel insight. Literally everyone agrees that Disney needs to "get a handle on" budgets. But they deliberately overspent on content to build their subscriber base.

Disstevefan1

Sounds like you're thinking Disney has an option of going back to the old linear/box office model. Those days are over. All the studios are risking everything to get into streaming because linear and box office are no longer reliable business models.

Your post is stating the obvious as though it were some novel insight. Literally everyone agrees that Disney needs to "get a handle on" budgets. But they deliberately overspent on content to build their subscriber base.
Sorry to state the obvious about the movie budgets. They wont listen anyway.

Does Sony pictures have their own direct do consumer streaming business?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
To who? Netflix would be the only one. Why is it that only Netflix can do it and no one else?

Plus they just inked a deal with Netflix a few weeks ago to have some content on Netflix. So they are selling content to other streamers while still keeping D+.

Disney is bringing in real money with D+.

TV is a dying medium, there is no keeping it if there is no one watching it.

As discussed in many threads, but easier said than done. But they will be doing that.

Sony is primarily an electronics company, who has been looking to get out of the movie space for awhile now. So I wouldn't hold them up as some beacon of light here.

Sony also inked a deal with Disney a few years ago to have some of their movies shown on Hulu and D+.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Sony is the only big time movie studio that doesn't have a streaming option in its corporate structure. So, they can play the field.

Sony has a deal with Netflix and Disney to use Netflix as their pay-1 post-theatrical streamer, and then it goes to D+/Hulu.

This is why the Sony/Marvel Spider-Man movies are eventually winding up on D+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

You should follow this thread:

It is clear that linear TV (broadcast & cable) is dying.

Linear used to bring in big bucks. BIG.

Linear is being replaced by streaming and the rate of replacement is accelerating.

All the big time broadcast and cable companies *MUST* switch to streaming... if they want to continue to financially exist.

Netflix is profitable. Hulu is profitable. D+ is on the way to being profitable. It's not impossible. Since Chapek was sacked last year, the D+ deficit has shrunk each quarter and it's on pace to become profitable. Just as the five year guidance said.

Disstevefan1

You should follow this thread:

It is clear that linear TV (broadcast & cable) is dying.

Linear used to bring in big bucks. BIG.

Linear is being replaced by streaming and the rate of replacement is accelerating.

All the big time broadcast and cable companies *MUST* switch to streaming... if they want to continue to financially exist.

Netflix is profitable. Hulu is profitable. D+ is on the way to being profitable. It's not impossible. Since Chapek was sacked last year, the D+ deficit has shrunk each quarter and it's on pace to become profitable. Just as the five year guidance said.
Oh yea, its all Chapek's fault, I keep forgetting that.

In just the few months Chapek tried to lead the company, he broke things so badly that it will take Iger YEARS to fix it - Got it.

celluloid

Judging by the fact that most have a deal for a buck to three dollars a month for black friday deals,
it is not really working out as a reliable business model either.

TP2000

Mildly OT, but I've got some time while my giblets and a turkey neck thaw for gravy prep...

I am forever confused why Sony gets to release big budget Spiderman movies, but Disney has a Spiderman D Ticket ride at DCA in Avenger's Campus and throws a Spiderman robot over a wall every half hour with differing success rates.

Why didn't Disney release the latest Spiderman if Disney owns Marvel? I assume its one of those weird clauses, like the one that prevents Disney from uttering the word "Marvel" east of the Mississippi. :rolleyes:

And fully OT... I am a lifelong Sony consumer since I bought my first Sony short wave desktop radio in the service. Since then, I've had decades of Sony TV's, and home stereo setups and car audio and various Walkmans and one (1) Watchman. The only thing Sony has ever let me down on was Betamax, and I had to restart with a VHS machine after a few years. Sony is fantastic! And when in Tokyo, you should go visit the swanky Sony flagship showroom-pavilion thing they have in the Ginza district. It's impressive and also hilariously Japanese, as only a flagship Japanese company could do.

_caleb

Judging by the fact that most have a deal for a buck to three dollars a month for black friday deals,
it is not really working out as a reliable business model either.
Again, the plan all along was to build the largest base of subscribers as fast as possible by making the service as cheap as possible. It was especially important at launch, as they had little in the way of content (much of their content was tied up in licensing deals with other platforms/networks). So they started very cheap, including many discounted offers. They've been raising prices incrementally as they add content and now they've successfully added the ad-tier.

You judge prematurely. Any business is going to spend more than it makes while starting up. Disney is following its business plan. And this business is new (as in, there are very few models/examples to follow), so it's going to be rocky. But Disney saw the writing on the wall and knew that pivoting to DTC was their best option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom