Captain Hank's Summer 2008 Report (Picture-heavy)

Captain Hank's Summer 2008 Report (very photo-heavy)

Howdy all! Here's a summer recap from working at WDW for the summer again. I did a little bit of everything this summer, working in merchandise (primarily Future World North, though I got to pick up shifts at World of Disney, the Emporium, DAK Main Entrance and Tomorrowland), and also helping out at Epcot Science. I had some really neat experiences all around. Here's just a sampling of some of the things I got to do, and some of the pictures I took. I was planning on doing more of a running commentary over the length of the summer, but my apartment got struck by lightning in mid-June, which blew out the Internet access. By the time I left in late August, it still hadn't been repaired--I was not happy. Anyway:

Star Wars Weekends

Star Wars Weekends were great this year. I got to meet both Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) and Warwick Davis (Wicket the Ewok).

My set of autograph Fastpasses:
IMG_2124.jpg

Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)
IMG_2153.jpg

Warwick Davis (Wicket the Ewok) About a week after taking this picture, I ended up giving Warwick Davis and his family a VIP Behind the Seeds Tour of The Land. He was a really nice guy. His daughter was doing a project on plants in school, so he taped the whole thing and was going to cut it into a short movie to show in her class.
IMG_2161.jpg

David Prowse (Darth Vader) I didn't get to actually meet David Prowse, but I did see him in the parade and in the Legends of the Force talk show.
IMG_2152.jpg

And, some other assorted Star Wars characters.

Chewbacca
IMG_2146.jpg

A Sand Person (is that the proper singular for "Sandpeople?")
IMG_2155.jpg

Jango Fett
IMG_2156.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
I saw Block Party Bash for the first time during Star Wars Weekends, and ended up loving it. I'm pretty sure that it's now my favorite parade on property. It adds a lot of energy to DHS, which that park really, really needed. Here are some photos:

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

Before we leave Disney's Hollywood Studios, here's a really great, creepy picture of the stately Hollywood Tower Hotel, truly the star of Sunset Blvd.
IMG_2505.jpg

Disney's Animal Kingdom remained my favorite park to walk around and relax in. I also got in several rides on Expedition: Everest--now solidly one of my favorite rides on property.

An American Bittern resting near the Tree of Life
AmericanBittern.jpg

One of the giant fruit bats in the Maharaja Jungle Trek. The best time to see them is as close to closing time as possible.
FlyingFox3.jpg

Also on the Maharaja Jungle Trek: tigers.
Tigers1.jpg

Behold: a very neat-looking duck! I'm sure there's a much better name for it, but for now, it's a duck. In front of a waterfall.
IMG_2622.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
The mysterious village of Serka Zhong, with the equally mysterious Forbidden Mountain looming nearby.
Everest4.jpg

Everest2.jpg

Everest1.jpg

Finally, as we leave Disney's Animal Kingdom, some shots of the Tree of Life:
TreeofLife2.jpg

TreeofLife5.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Now, to the Magic Kingdom. I spent a good deal of time around sunset one evening, and completely circled the Castle, getting some pretty neat shots:

A pretty standard, yet very pretty shot.
IMG_2278.jpg

The Castle's reflection in the moat.
IMG_2276.jpg

Around the back, near Sir Mickey's
IMG_2317.jpg

Later that evening, I tried out some night shots:

Cinderella's Golden Carrousel:
IMG_2953.jpg

Cinderella Castle from Tomorrowland:
IMG_2963.jpg

Tomorrowland entrance:
IMG_2991.jpg

Tomorrowland waterfront:
IMG_2975.jpg

Partners:
IMG_3034.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Now, to Epcot.

Spaceship Earth at sunset.
IMG_3557.jpg

The Tropics Greenhouse at The Land:
IMG_3447.jpg

Temperate Greenhouse at The Land:
IMG_3518.jpg

Gettin' artsy with the peppers. Incidentally, these are called "Big, Bad Wolf Peppers."
IMG_3507.jpg

See, even lettuce can be artsy!
IMG_3510.jpg

And, the pumpkins continue to earn their ears! (my idea :) )
IMG_3484.jpg

Taiko drumming in Japan:
IMG_3179.jpg

The lily pond in China:
IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth:

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

Continuing with the nighttime theme, Downtown Disney.

The House of Blues. I've never actually been in there (besides in the shop), but they've got a really neat sign.
IMG_3039.jpg

DisneyQuest gobo
IMG_3924.jpg

And, *sniffle* Pleasure Island:
IMG_3077.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Bye, Comedy Warehouse
IMG_3053.jpg

And, bye Adventurer's Club. *sniffle* Kunagaloosh! :wave: :cry:
IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

One of my favorite Club artifacts: a real flying carpet, complete with seat belts.
IMG_3101.jpg

Free drink, Colonel!
IMG_3113.jpg

Babylonia, goddess of women and all things fertile.
IMG_3114.jpg

The more "lively" residents of the Mask Room.
IMG_3850.jpg

The Club's Radiothon. I doubt that $2,000 and two raccoon pelts would save the Club this time.
IMG_3836.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
One of the less fortunate members of the Club:
IMG_3875.jpg

The Main Salon, featuring the centerpiece, "Zeus Goes Fishing."
IMG_3854.jpg

Finally, one last Hoopla. (HOOPLA!!!)
IMG_3843.jpg

So, that was my summer in a nutshell. Happy trails, and Kungaloosh! :wave:

bayoumoon

Thanks for sharing. I love all the Star tour pictures, I'll never get to go to see it live :cry:. Hope you get to post some more soon.

tink68

Great photos! Could I ask a question? Is Star Wars weekend always in June and every weekend? I am thinking of surprising my husband with a trip for Christmas because he loves Star Wars and I get to go to DW again. :lol: When do they usually annouce dates? Thanks :wave:

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Star Wars Weekends is always in June, but it isn't every weekend. This year, it was the last four weekends in June (or was it the first four...I honestly don't remember). I don't belive that the full spectrum of events was announced until after Christmas, though try doing a search in the News and Rumors forum--I know that there's a big hoopla ever time the specifics are announced. However, I would think that booking a trip for mid-June, over a weekend is a pretty safe bet.

Glad you enjoyed, everyone! :wave:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Your 2 reflection shots are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing your time in WDW with us.

What was your favorite part of the summer?

Captain Hank

Original Poster
There were lots of great experiences. It was really cool meeting Peter Mayhew and Warwick Davis, then giving a tour of The Land's greenhouses to Warwick Davis' family a little while later. I also got to take a CM-only walking tour of the entire ride path of the Haunted Mansion, which was awesome. I got to walk through the whole attraction with worklights on, and when I got to go down into the ballroom and walk around both sides of the giant pane of glass. All in all, it was a really cool summer.

Oh, and I also met several forum members at various points. To everyone I met, :wave:

Captain Hank

Original Poster
I use a Canon PowerShot A630, which I got about a year ago. The best advice I can give for nighttime picture taking is to get a tripod. It doesn't have to be very large--mine's about 6" long when it's fully compacted down, and it extends to about 1.5'. I got it at Target for about $20. It's the perfect size to set on top of the many conveniently placed trash cans around WDW property, not to mention assorted walls, fences and ledges.

As far as settings, it varies depending on the situation. I try to use ambient light as much as possible, and thus don't use flash very much, though it sometimes comes in handy. Most cameras have a "night" setting on them that will activate the flash and keep the apeture open for a longer period of time than normal. Without a tripod, these pictures usually come out very blurry, but with a tripod they usually look fantastic. It's usually possible to turn the flash on and off in this mode. If you just use flash without keeping the apeture open for long enough, everthing in the foreground will seem to be over-lit, while anything past a 15' range or so will be almost completely dark.

Another suggestion is to use shutter delay, if your camera has it as an option. Even the little shake caused by squeezing the shutter button can sometimes cause blurriness during nighttime shots. Many cameras have an option for a 1-2 second shutter delay, enough time for you to take your hands away from the camera and allow it to steady itself.

karlamaria

I use a Canon PowerShot A630, which I got about a year ago. The best advice I can give for nighttime picture taking is to get a tripod. It doesn't have to be very large--mine's about 6" long when it's fully compacted down, and it extends to about 1.5'. I got it at Target for about $20. It's the perfect size to set on top of the many conveniently placed trash cans around WDW property, not to mention assorted walls, fences and ledges.

As far as settings, it varies depending on the situation. I try to use ambient light as much as possible, and thus don't use flash very much, though it sometimes comes in handy. Most cameras have a "night" setting on them that will activate the flash and keep the apeture open for a longer period of time than normal. Without a tripod, these pictures usually come out very blurry, but with a tripod they usually look fantastic. It's usually possible to turn the flash on and off in this mode. If you just use flash without keeping the apeture open for long enough, everthing in the foreground will seem to be over-lit, while anything past a 15' range or so will be almost completely dark.

Another suggestion is to use shutter delay, if your camera has it as an option. Even the little shake caused by squeezing the shutter button can sometimes cause blurriness during nighttime shots. Many cameras have an option for a 1-2 second shutter delay, enough time for you to take your hands away from the camera and allow it to steady itself.
I have a canon A590 !! I am going to do as you said because in 2 months I will be going to WDW for the first time ever. I am taking my grand kids and I want some real good shots . thank you, so much for taking the time to tell me how things work. and again, your pictures are amazing!!!

I am editing this to say I took several pics on night mode tonight and they were the same with the tripod as with out... also what was funny was I used the indoor setting and no flash and the pictures came out beautiful, I used the night shot and no flash they came out dark.
Gosh I hiope I figure this all out with my new camera by the time I go or my pictures will be crappy! :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom