Captain EO Soft Open To Public Today

the-reason14

Its the fact that they are making money off the death, not the fact they are just doing it for the money. Of course they do things for money, WDW is a business. And i for one have taken the, "if you dont like it dont go" path, im just curious to see what the so called "success" of the attraction is based on. :shrug: When i went it was not an attraction that was booming, like i said it had the same or less crowds then HISTA did.

I think hista was rigged to where it only showed a few showings an hour instead of being continous like eo is. The 4 times I went, it packed quite a few people, much more than hista did with its rigged showings. Even imagination had more of line when I went a few days ago. Either way, its a breathe of fresh air. I agree with the person you quoted, its here so it is what it is.

TinkerBell9988

Went yesterday around 6 pm, house was 90% full, audience was clapping, dancing, laughing, etc...

And my mom was jammin' to the music. That, in itself, is a success. :lol:

RSoxNo1

Some interesting information on the Magical Definition Podcast today

• Shelly Duval was the original person in the Anjelica Huston roll. She got claustrophobic with all of the makeup and costuming and backed out.
  • Because Anjelica Houston signed on late, she got all sorts of perks in her contract including money for using her likeness in merchandise. She's one of the few people profiting off of this coming back to the parks.
  • Because 3D is everywhere right now, Disney is somewhat apprehensive to shoot a new 3D movie for this theater once Captain EO's run is up. The idea has been tossed around to continue with the nostalgia and bring back Magic Journeys.
  • There's apprehension about bringing back Honey I Shrunk the Audience because they're trying to revive that franchise with a new movie.

nerdboyrockstar

Visited Disney World this weekend for the sole reason of checking out EO. You know if they brought back World of Motion or Horizons, you'd be planning trips for that too.

Anyway, it was unbelievable being able to step into Yesterland and experience EO in the same theater as my childhood. It sounded great, looked okay, but it was just exciting to be able to see it on the big screen and on 3D again. YouTube and a bootleg DVD off eBay from years ago just don't do it justice.

Picked up merchandise from the cart and wore it to the park and to MK and Poly. Got so many comments about it from cast members all over the resort. They all seem really excited about it. Let's face it, this is their Harry Potter this summer. :lol:

Definitely want to make it back again before it's gone.

MAGICFLOP

What is the success based on? Facts/Figures?

I was there a week ago, no one, and i mean no one was going to watch it. It was a ghost town. To be fair there were people, but I remember lines being longer for HISTA. A poor move by Walt Disney World IMO. Seems to me the only people that enjoy it and go to see it are die hards. Anyone else (most notably first timers) will not understand what this is, and be disappointed with the lack of effects and 80'sness. I did not see it, but I was curious of how it was doing, asked a cast member that was at the merchandise both, stated that "some" people seemed excited, but again, Its a minority.

Good "tribute" (even though its for the money) to a wonderful artist (dont care too much about personal life), but I hope this is gone within the next year

Funny I was there all last week and my kid dragged me to it for 5 showings of it. It was 90% full each show. We went on various days and at various times too.

First timers wont understand it? :veryconfu Its actually a very simple story. If they can't understand it, the would have never grasped HISTA either.
I agree it is very 80's in costume design..:sohappy:

MAGICFLOP

Its the fact that they are making money off the death, not the fact they are just doing it for the money. Of course they do things for money, WDW is a business. And i for one have taken the, "if you dont like it dont go" path, im just curious to see what the so called "success" of the attraction is based on. :shrug: When i went it was not an attraction that was booming, like i said it had the same or less crowds then HISTA did.

How about doing because it is what a lot of people wanted. I would think a theme park would put in attractions that peope would be attracted to. After MJ's death people are interested. Disney could put it back in simple refurb, so that makes it a smart business move. They paid MJ, Coppola and Lucas a lot of money. This is a return on their investment and as a share holder it makes me happy to see things like this in this economy..

EpcotServo

What is the success based on? Facts/Figures?

I was there a week ago, no one, and i mean no one was going to watch it. It was a ghost town. To be fair there were people, but I remember lines being longer for HISTA. A poor move by Walt Disney World IMO. Seems to me the only people that enjoy it and go to see it are die hards. Anyone else (most notably first timers) will not understand what this is, and be disappointed with the lack of effects and 80'sness. I did not see it, but I was curious of how it was doing, asked a cast member that was at the merchandise both, stated that "some" people seemed excited, but again, Its a minority.

Good "tribute" (even though its for the money) to a wonderful artist (dont care too much about personal life), but I hope this is gone within the next year

That's amazing that it was a ghost town at the showing you didn't see!

Wait...
what?

b94ronman

I'm not sure EO is the answer & the main reason I think this way is because it could be delaying the refurb of the whole pavilion....but I have been to the world at least 11 times in the last 13 years it's an attraction that I have skipped a least the last 8.....I will be attending EO & look forwrd to it when I go again in December. The last time I saw it was when I was a kid in 1988. Honey I shrunk the audience is an attraction that that has seen it's better days....if EO sticks around for more than 2 years it will be in the same boat, but for now, it will bring me back to the pavilion....and I hope that something bigger & better is planned for the entire pavilion and this is just buying the time to get the plans in motion.

AEfx

In a case like Jackson's, it's not up to the court to prove his innocence, it's up the general public. Like O.J. or Michael Jackson, the people will have their own opinions and will judge these people no matter what the facts are.

Well, if that's the case then, MJ has been cleared of all charges. ;)

He's been more popular and made more money in the first year of his death than he had ever before in his life. And there is rarely ever a mention of his court battles any more when he is mentioned in the media, unlike the last 15 years of his life when it was brought up every time his name was.

If pointing a finger at someone is enough to convince you of their guilt, then that's totally your decision. I'm smart enough to know that neither you, nor I, know the truth - so we are left with, do we enjoy the art he produced or not. If it's not your thing it's not your thing, but if as you said it's up to the "court of public opinion", then yeah, MJ has kinda won when Disney is adding him as an attraction on both coasts. ;)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Thanks for all the updates about the changes in the effects and the like. Lots of interesting thoughts about how the music has held up over the years. Really, an incredibly useful thread. :lookaroun

Dwarful

Well, we just got home from an 8 day trip at Yacht Club. We were at Epcot four different days...two early entry, one evening and then Saturday which had a regular opening. We saw E.O. once, mostly to see the vintage Epcot attraction. We had our two daughters and our niece with us..ages 16, 14 & 10. None of them wanted to go back to see it. The one time we did see it was around 11:30 AM on an early entry day and I'd say the theater was about 50% full...mostly with Blue, Yellow and Red groups (who apparently really LOVE M.J.) The CM explained we didn't have to move all the way down the aisle because the theater wasn't going to be full. We never saw a line when we were over that way for Figment (which we rode several times).

the-reason14

Well I'm just now heading home after a wonderful 2 weeks trip and saw eo about 4 times. Didn't really start enjoying it till after the 2nd time and I mostly enjoyed the music. The 1st time I saw it, it was sometime after 7(if hista was there, it'd be closed. If it were opened I wouldn't have been there anyway, and doubt most of you would too) and the theater was pretty full. Matter fact, each time I went the theater was pretty full and they told us to move all the way down even though you could count the empty seats probably on 2 hands. The people around me seemed to enjoy it, although that doesn't matter too much to me as what really matters is that I enjoyed it and I'm glad its back. Never saw lines stacked out the building, but it made me go in that forgotten corner of epcot more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom