Can't decide which resort

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Almost ready to book our next trip to the world. Going this year in Dec so that we can check out all of the parks decked out for the holidays. My biggest problem right now is deciding which resort to stay at. We've only stayed at AKL (and CSR) before so I would appreciate feedback on the other two from anyone who has stayed there.

AKL - we know exactly what we'll get here, an awesome and relaxing stay. Our favorite restaurant is located here (Jiko). Nothing like waking up in the morning and sitting out on the balcony and watching the giraffes, zebras, etc walk by you. Only negative.......aside from going to/from DAK, it's a long bus ride to/from any of the other parks.

Poly - specifically if we stayed here I'd be interested to get a MK view room. Is that worth the added cost on top of what would be one of the most expensive room rates on property? In all likelihood we'd only be in the room to see the MK fireworks the first night that we arrived. I believe that they had started renovating rooms at Poly last year to try and get them more modernized. Anyone know how progress on this is going? Is being on the monorail loop really worth having to pay the highest room rates?

Yacht Club - the big benefit that we see here is being able to walk to and from Epcot. We tend to finish a lot of our evenings eating at Epcot and being able to walk "home" afterwards, instead of standing/sitting in line for a bus, would be nice.

Which would you pick??

HouCuseChickie

Tough choice...out of the 3...AKL is going to have the best decorations, IMO. We stayed at YC this past November and didn't care for it. The decorations were OK, but we didn't find the staff to be very friendly and we found ourselves over at Beach Club quite a bit b/c the BC Marketplace was far more useful than anything offered at Compass & Ale + their staff was consistently great. Ultimately, BC would probably the most convenient to Epcot anyways. The Poly's decorations were nothing exciting, but the convenience of the monorail is great if you spend a decent amount of time in the MK area...although, not sure I'd spring for a theme park view if I wasn't planning on taking advantage of it. Maybe do it for the 1 night where you'd watch fireworks and then switch to a lesser view? The Poly also offers one more level of convenience for you...you can walk to the TTC, so the monorail to/from Epcot should be a breeze unless it's evening EMH, where you'd be taking the bus.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

With the AKL you know exactly what to expect and how much you enjoy it but it sounds like you are interested in or at least open to trying a new resort. Yacht Club is more expensive but being so close to EPCOT and the Studios would be a real plus, especially since you said you tend to end your evenings at EPCOT. I guess it comes down to your finances and how much you would miss your view at the AKL. You mentioned the long bus rides at the AKL but know that the YC shares buses with the BC and BW, so that will add to your travel time. Personally, of the three I would choose YC to be close to EPCOT, our favorite park.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

This was a really tough choice as all three of these resorts are really really nice. But I chose Yacht Club because you said you like to finish up at Epcot. It's a big time saver if you can just walk back to the resort. Plus it gives you easy access to Boardwalk. It's also easier to get to the Studios from Yacht Club as well. Be warned: Unless it's storming, there's no bus. You have to walk it or take a boat. I really like Animal Kingdom, but I end up feeling really far out when we stay there (we considered buying into AKL but ended up buying into BLT for this reason). Polynesian is really nice and I would definitely hit there for a meal (Kona has a fantastic breakfast). No it is not worth it to pay for an MK view and no it's not worth it to pay that much just to be on the monorail loop. I think you'll save a lot of time by staying at Yacht Club.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

IMHO, I would love to stay at the Yacht Club and have the boardwalk and World Showcase right there to explore whenever I wanted, also they have a GREAT pool, that would be my first choice. The Polynesian is on the monorail and you have 3 resorts to explore in and dine and shop in that would be my second choice. The AKL is a nice resort with good restaurants, a nice lounge and pool that would be my third choice.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I'd choose the Polynesian if it were a theme park view room. That would be awesome. Otherwise I would go with the Yacht Club so I could be within walking distance of Epcot.

We paid for a theme park view at the Poly a couple years ago. Just my 2 cents, but not worth it. You can barely see the castle. It was nice seeing the lagoon and the boats, but not worth $100 more per night.

Given that you're going at Christmas, I'd choose Animal Kingdom Lodge. Any other time of year, I'd choose Poly.

Upvote 0

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Original Poster
We paid for a theme park view at the Poly a couple years ago. Just my 2 cents, but not worth it. You can barely see the castle. It was nice seeing the lagoon and the boats, but not worth $100 more per night.

Given that you're going at Christmas, I'd choose Animal Kingdom Lodge. Any other time of year, I'd choose Poly.

Not sure that it would sway your opinion any but we're going to be there early Dec.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

I've stayed at all three of the resorts you are considering.

Based on your past trips, skip AKL since you've already stayed there. (I'm a big fan of trying new resorts.)

The Polynesian is a perfectly viable option but ...

You indicated a propensity to finishing your evenings eating at Epcot. You'll appreciate being a short walk back to your room without having to battle crowds for buses or the Monorail. Since you are there to enjoy the Christmas holidays, you'll appreciate both the "Santas" at the World Showcase (WS) and the Osborne Festival of Dancing Lights at DHS. Both Epcot and DHS are within walking distance of the Yacht Club.

Overall, I'd go with the Yacht Club based on the information you provided.

Upvote 0

disneyfan1995

All three are great resort choices. I'm not a huge fan of the Yacht Club (I prefer the Beach Club) so I would cross that off the list. AKL is really nice and the lobby is beautiful to begin with, so I'm sure the Christmas decorations will make it ten times better. I also really like that they have the animals there. It's really neat. The only downside is that the only park in close proximity is AK. The rest are somewhat far in my opinion.

Poly is beautiful. I stayed there back in 1998 when I was three so I don't remember much about actually staying there, but I make sure to stop by every single time I'm at WDW. Some highlights to Poly are: Ohana and Kona Cafe are two fantastic restaurants, it's on the monorail loop, you can get a theme park view, it's super close to MK, and the lobby is fantastically themed. It's one of my favorite resorts at WDW. Personally, I would not spend the extra money for the theme park view room. Yes, it is super nice but if you're only gonna be able to watch the fireworks from it on the first night then it is kind of a lost cause.

Upvote 0

Emyli Mouse

If you are going to shell out the big bucks, you need to stay at Yacht Club. I agree with someone else that Beach Club is better,but they are so close together. The view is wonderful, the Boardwalk has some interesting night life, and the pool is the best in the whole World. Plus, when you are a DVC member, you can swim at any resort pool, no questions asked, except Yacht and Beach Club. You have to wear wristbands, it's super exclusive, and never crowded. Beaches N Cream is the most wonderful ice cream shop, they have activites pool side in the afternoon (like many other resorts do) and the night time activities on the beach are great (bonfire, roasting marshmallows, movie on the big screen). I always feel like if I could afford to go there, I wouldn't go the parks many days because I would just want to enjoy the wonderful resort amenities. Lastly, as everyone else has pointed out, the proximity to two parks is unbeatable. Have fun!

Upvote 0

bethymouse

If it's just the 2 of you, then I'd choose the POLY. It's a romantic resort. I wouldn't pay for a theme park view! Go out to the beach and snuggle up to watch the fireworks! Eat @ 'Ohana and Kona Cafe. Have Kona coffee every morning. Enjoy a walk to the TTC. Take the boat to the MK. Enjoy the monorail convenience!:D
Of course, AKL has a romance of its own!:)
Why not Beach Club? The restaurants are fabulous, the pool is best on WDW property, and it's so close to DHS and EPCOT.
Why not Boardwalk? Now that's romantic?;)
All 3 are wonderful choices. I guess theme and which park you want to visit most would be my final decision breaker.;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom