Candy Cauldron sign change

tanc

Original Poster
Just sad to me. Was the old sign too scary for kids? Like seriously, seems like a major visual downgrade. It also sort of blends in and makes the shop harder to find. Just not a fan of the sign redesign.

Attachments

• PicsArt_08-26-10.25.44.jpg
    PicsArt_08-26-10.25.44.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 498

DisneyDebRob

Just sad to me. Was the old sign too scary for kids? Like seriously, seems like a major visual downgrade. It also sort of blends in and makes the shop harder to find. Just not a fan of the sign redesign.
Looks more.. I don’t know.. progressive? Not the right word but it’s what Disney seems to be going for lately. More not in your face kind of changes. I also prefer the old sign but that’s just me being nostalgic I guess.

Bocabear

Looks like everything Disney is doing with Disney Springs...Taking all the special touches away and creating a standard shopping mall from your own home town... Same shops, reducing the whimsical touches so that it has that special Simon Corporate Shopping Center look. It is sad to see... I would think they would be adding more special touches to everything rather than less... Why shop at Disney Springs when I can shop at Mall Of The Millennia and have even more choices... The reason was always Disney Shopping was special... not for long...

Magic Feather

This change was made a while ago when a lot of those West Side façades got a refurb. Unfortunately, the general gist was that the West Side would become the “modern” looking section of Springs, leaving the kitschy stuff like the old sign mostly to the Marketplace area (and even that was modified to better match the Arts and Crafts style of the area).

BatStang2000

I'll be honest, I've never been in the store or noticed the sign before this thread, but to me the old sign looks like something you would see hanging on a haunted house of a carnival set up in an abandoned mall parking lot. The new sign, while having no inspiration, looks more like something you would indeed find in a multimillion dollar shopping center. I would prefer something with more creativity but not overly garish.

Figments Friend

From whimsical to .....generic.

Not a trend i like to see, especially at a place like WDW.

The 'fun' has seemingly been slowly sucked out of several things looking even remotely unique, playful, or creatively fun around property over the last few years.
Are we becoming such a boring, jaded society now that Disney feels a need to 'generalize' and 'homogenize' things to appeal to today's Guests who visit?
It's almost as if creativity is looked down upon today as a 'negative' instead of the 'positive' thing that used to be exploited.

Some examples i can think of off the top of my head....

The Disney 'EarPort' shops at MCO.
Once whimsical and fun, now kinda meh...

World of Disney at Disney Springs.
Once unique and playful, now looks like a generic wood grain hotel lobby.

Disney Springs as a whole entity now.
Used to be unique with fun elements / decor, now it's pretty much like any other fancy outdoor shopping center in the warm States....but with 'water elements'.

All Star Resorts room refurbs / redesigns.
Once again, fun and playful room decor before....now utterly indistingushable inside from any other generic motel room across the country.

-

Dizknee_Phreek

From whimsical to .....generic.

Not a trend i like to see, especially at a place like WDW.

The 'fun' has seemingly been slowly sucked out of several things looking even remotely unique, playful, or creatively fun around property over the last few years.
Are we becoming such a boring, jaded society now that Disney feels a need to 'generalize' and 'homogenize' things to appeal to today's Guests who visit?
It's almost as if creativity is looked down upon today as a 'negative' instead of the 'positive' thing that used to be exploited.

Some examples i can think of off the top of my head....

The Disney 'EarPort' shops at MCO.
Once whimsical and fun, now kinda meh...

World of Disney at Disney Springs.
Once unique and playful, now looks like a generic wood grain hotel lobby.

Disney Springs as a whole entity now.
Used to be unique with fun elements / decor, now it's pretty much like any other fancy outdoor shopping center in the warm States....but with 'water elements'.

All Star Resorts room refurbs / redesigns.
Once again, fun and playful room decor before....now utterly indistingushable inside from any other generic motel room across the country.

-
Agree completely. Basically all the new/refurbed stuff looks generic and not very "Disney"...at least not the Disney I grew up with. The Wilderness Lodge room refurb, the new tower at CS, the CB lobby, almost everything at Disney Springs...even Riviera. They all just seem so uninspiring to me. I don't like this trend. And it's not just Disney. Pretty much every chain of restaurant, store, etc is going to that "nice, but meh" look. Nothing feels unique any more. Which is whatever for every other company. But I expect more from Disney.

Bocabear

Nothing says satisfy your sweet tooth like the old sign!

View attachment 493283
It was cute and whimsical...even fun...and yes, it did make you want to poke your head in out of curiosity... All of the "Disney Style" whimsy continues to be stripped from Disney Springs and all of the Hotels... What will WDW look like in 20 years? I guess a lot like any other mall and chain hotels... The "Disney Difference" and "Special" seem to be out of fashion right now which is so sad.
I don't want to go to Disney Springs and see a Tommy Bahama Shop or Lululemon... I want to see the unique destination shopping that it used to be. I want The Word Of Disney to be an experience...not just convenient souvenir shopping with all the charm of a Target...

Brummyboy92

I genuinely think this is a fashion thing, and these things go in circles. Kind of like how McDonald's in the 90's looked like a teenager on acid, whereas now they look like a depressed accountant, with the boring, bland, modern feel.

I prefer the original by a huge stretch, and do not like this approach, nothing Disney about it what so ever.

tanc

Original Poster
Unfortunately we won't see a real change for a long time, at least I think. It was kinda cool at first to see modern stuff, but I really think "Disney" Springs should just be renamed to The Springs at this point. There's barely any presence of Disney for most of it, except for like the marketplace area and the World of Disney.

Jon81uk

Unfortunately we won't see a real change for a long time, at least I think. It was kinda cool at first to see modern stuff, but I really think "Disney" Springs should just be renamed to The Springs at this point. There's barely any presence of Disney for most of it, except for like the marketplace area and the World of Disney.

Except Walt Disneyworld never was that “Disney”, what’s Disney about the Polynesian, or the Contempory? They didn’t need characters everywhere. Same as the Springs is meant to evoke an old springs with classic Spanish style architecture and old industries, just like the Poly is meant to feel like polynesia.

The original Buena Vista village at what’s now marketplace were just shops, no “Disney”, no characters. Then it became Downtown Disney and sure some characters were added and lots of fibreglass statues appeared in what became marketplace, but a lot of the overall decor reflected the 90s and early 2000s. The old World of Disney was very much a product of 1996, the current one with the projectors and animated displays is much more 2020. Now as tastes in architecture changes, the style of decor and signage is moving away from that 90s style. In another 20 years there might be other changes again. The store is no more than 23 years old, who knows how things will change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom