Canceled May tip when dad passed away...

drp4video

Some of you may remember that my dad was ill and passed away memorial day and my daughter and I were scheduled to go to WDW the day after memorial day. Thanks to a lot of you on this board who gave me great advice and showed such wonderful compassion, I canceled my trip before he passed.

Well, two years ago, due to heat and Charley, I swore I would not go back in August. We had been going in August for the past 8 years prior, and I swore, never again. We leave August 15th..:lol:

kennygman

drp4video said:
Some of you may remember that my dad was ill and passed away memorial day and my daughter and I were scheduled to go to WDW the day after memorial day. Thanks to a lot of you on this board who gave me great advice and showed such wonderful compassion, I canceled my trip before he passed.

Well, two years ago, due to heat and Charley, I swore I would not go back in August. We had been going in August for the past 8 years prior, and I swore, never again. We leave August 15th..:lol:

Condolences on your loss. Hope your family enjoys the vacation. We'll be there then too! We just don't tour from 1-5 pm. Pools, Disney Quest, Waterparks, Naps, etc...

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We've gone in August for the past few years, we always seem to leave the day before the storm hits. :lol:

Have a great trip and I'm glad you are feeling up to WDW. ((HUGS)) :wave:

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

Glad you got to re-schedule your trip. I always say I don't want to go back in ther summer, but I always have a great time anyway. In Texas, we'll already be back in school by August 15th, so maybe your crowds will be smaller.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

monorailguy01 said:
I never went in August.. How are the parks, Alot of people go that month?

Most schools in the Northeast don't go back until after Labor Day so August is when we usually go. While its not as crowded as July you can still face 60 minute waits for some of the rides. The parks were so crowded last August (we were there the last week) that we cut our days short...EMH were so crowded (especially the MK) that we decided not to do them again. I'm not waiting almost 2 hours to ride something at 1 am!

There really isn't any off peak times at WDW anymore, it always seems to be crowded.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

We went Aug. last year, it did not seem too crowded during certain times but others were alittle too much for my taste. We are going to be there the 23rd to the 27th, not very long but we need a Disney fix or we won't make it to Nov. for our big one, ( about 10 of us are going to be there ). When will anybody else be there, we might be able to meet up for short conversation. And by the way,sorry for your loss, my wife's mother passed away at the end of Dec. 02 and we had her there that past Nov., she loved the roes gardens at EPCOT. Hope to meet up with fellow members.:wave:

Upvote 0

kal1484

Florida schools go back around the 4th, but up north most schools don't go back until after labor day. Michigan has a state law now that states schools can't start until after labor day.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Dagger

I was 9 mos. pregnant last year in August in the South and 100% humidity....wear lots of sunblock and drink tons of water!!! You will probably lose 10 pounds no matter how much you eat.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Upvote 0

MarkeyMouse

I'm so sorry

I'm Glad your going, I'm going in august too my husband hates it until we get home and he's lost 10 pounds! My Father passed away on july 2nd 2 weeks ago very unexpectidly he was only 61 I know how hard it is, my heart goes out to you, Have a great vacation and keep him alive in your memories, That's what I'm doing it keeps me moving foward.

My 1st disney memory was june 1973 for my 5th bday me and my dad and mom and nan and pop on the ferry to the Magic Kingdom. First Time we saw the Castle!! I guess he has made me the disney nut I am today Thanks Dad!
Happy Travels to you and your Fam!!!!
Roni:sohappy:

Upvote 0

drp4video

Original Poster
MarkeyMouse...I am sorry for the loss of your dad as well. It is hard. Mom and Dad took me to disneyland for the first time when I was three. WHile I don't have memories of that trip, I do have pictures.

I am guessingi that there is no place like WDW to cheer you up after a heartwretching loss like the loss of a loved one. That is one reason I agreed with my daughter (it is just her and I) to go in AUgust. We have been there many times before in August, and I had said never again. But we need this trip. Many years ago in August, it was not too bad. Recently we have gone the beginning of August, so I am hoping that the 19th-22 won't be too bad. (we will be in Daytona the 15-19...kid wants the beach) :hammer: Have fun all brave August people.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
tigsmom said:
There really isn't any off peak times at WDW anymore, it always seems to be crowded.

This is so true. I think Disney has done a really good job of identifying the slow times and getting large groups in (international and local) as well as scheduling the "extra ticket" functions as well to get people in during off season.

We went during Pop Warner last year.....we will avoid that week in the future.

Upvote 0

MarkeyMouse

Hi drp4video

Oh we'll just miss you we're going Aug 13-19 Boy do we need the vaca as I'm sure you do too Safe travels to you !!!
Roni:wave:

Ps. to hooky thank you very much for your reply:) That is very sweet.
Have fun everyone I know we will!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0
I am sorry for your loss, I too know how hard it can be.

Enjoy your vacation. We were also in Disney when Charley hit, drove into town that morning. But we keep coming back every August. Crowds are lighter, it is hotter, but drink plenty of liquids. We do parks in the morning and evening and leave the afternoon for pools and napping.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom