Canada Query?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
When did the shops "upstairs" in Canada at Epcot close?

I was browsing Anne of Green Gables stuff a few months ago, but recently it was all closed up. Anyone know the story?

Are they seasonal perhaps?

maconMouse

Not sure why the upstairs Canada store "in the base of the hotel" is closed up, but all the Anne of Green Gables merchandise has been moved into the Northwest Mercantile below. They've done a really nice job of removing any remnants of a former store in the upstairs portion too.

I'll be back at Epcot later this week, and will ask one of the Canada cast members and find out.

weluvtink

When we were there in March I almost cried when I saw the store closed. I recovered when I found Anne stuff in the Mercantile. I'm sad, I know.

SirNim

I saw a crane/machine/device of some sort behind the Hotel Du Canada the 14th. They might be doing some structural or maybe paint work behind there... Dunno...

Disneyfan1981

You know, now that I think about it I've never been in Canada in all my trips to WDW....I hope this opens back up so I don't miss anything on my next trip! Gotta hit it this time...

maconMouse

I spoke with a Cast Member in the Canada Northwest Mercantile tonight, and he told me the upstairs store closed back in January because sales were so poor and it wasn't economical to keep it open. He mentioned that almost all the merchandise had been moved downstairs. You can tell they've added some new shelving to accomodate too.

He said the old store is just acting as a "big paperweight" at the moment and there were no plans at the present to his knowledge to turn it into anything. I would love to see them do something with it! Canada is one of my favorite pavilions. First, we lose Trapper Bob's Beaver Tails, and now this.

It would be nice to see the "Oh Canada" show get some updates interwoven soon like they did with the film in China. It still gives me chill bumps though as many times as I've seen the ending. So good to see the new WDW album include the theme for it.

A day seeing "Oh Canada", buying Roots merchandise at the NW Mercantile, lunch at Le Cellier with Cheese Soup, and the tunes of Off Kilter will always be a magical one!!

maconMouse

Sadly, I concur on the water ride probably not happening. I specifically asked my Hidden Treasures tour guide about this, and he just shook his head at me. He said Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids were considered plenty of water rides.

Our guide took us behind Canada and the Soarin' building is smack dab up there against it almost. If you've ever taken Keys to the Kingdom, you know the water tank needed for Splash Mountain is huge.

Thought it was neat that the Imagineers painted the top of Soarin' all sky blue to try to match the sky for us since it does stick out above our "vanishing points" at many points in the park especially as you climb the steps of Canada toward the Hotel du Canada.

Getting the rugged mountain themed Everest ride next year also hurts our chances of something themed around the Canadian Rockies. I'm having Lunch with an Imagineer tomorrow and will see what I kind find out on any new attractions for Canada.

jmuboy

There is a fairly good chance the Canada film will be updated soon. The canadian gov't would like to see it. Plus, China has been updated and the updated Norway film is being filmed as i type.

AdLibSean

Drift Alert: Anyone hear anymore rumblings about more rockwork being done in Canada to semi- mask the Soarin' building? To me it just seems like adding more to that "mountain" would be too much.

disneysailor

This indicates Disney's real plans for the Canadian Pavillion (as verified by my brother's friends cousin, whose girlfriend is a seasonal CM at the Disney Store in Calgary):

-A new mountain to cover Soarin', with a Brother Bear flume ride.
-An audio animatronic special effects version of O Canada! with full live orchestra.
-A new evening show based on the Monty Python song 'I'm a Lumberjack' with a big finish finale of South Park's 'Blame Canada'
-CM costume changes to incorporate sandals with thick woolly socks
- A meet and greet with a real Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer (with horse)
-A Roots Megastore
-A full service Tim Hortons bakery and coffee shop :slurp:

As part of the deal with the Canadian Government, Disney have also agreed to build a streetscape of Degrassi Junior High in the Disney MGM Studios.

(To any Canadians out there- my jokes are meant as affectionate. Canada's one of my favourite countries.)

mom_rules

Actually I think it's:
A new mountain to cover Soarin', with snowboard half pipe ride attached!

(Good lord, can't believe I said that - just brings the eskimo/igloo image to the forefront- and I am Canadian! no less)

tiltawhirl

disneysailor said:
This indicates Disney's real plans for the Canadian Pavillion (as verified by my brother's friends cousin, whose girlfriend is a seasonal CM at the Disney Store in Calgary):

-A new mountain to cover Soarin', with a Brother Bear flume ride.
-An audio animatronic special effects version of O Canada! with full live orchestra.
-A new evening show based on the Monty Python song 'I'm a Lumberjack' with a big finish finale of South Park's 'Blame Canada'
-CM costume changes to incorporate sandals with thick woolly socks
- A meet and greet with a real Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer (with horse)
-A Roots Megastore
-A full service Tim Hortons bakery and coffee shop :slurp:

As part of the deal with the Canadian Government, Disney have also agreed to build a streetscape of Degrassi Junior High in the Disney MGM Studios.

(To any Canadians out there- my jokes are meant as affectionate. Canada's one of my favourite countries.)

Make sure to stop by the Brother Bear Bong shop on the way out. :p

As a Canadian, I was hardly offened by your digs...afterall, we are known as the polite ones. :animwink: :lol:

tilt

captcanada

maconMouse said:
I spoke with a Cast Member in the Canada Northwest Mercantile tonight, and he told me the upstairs store closed back in January because sales were so poor and it wasn't economical to keep it open. He mentioned that almost all the merchandise had been moved downstairs. You can tell they've added some new shelving to accomodate too.

He said the old store is just acting as a "big paperweight" at the moment and there were no plans at the present to his knowledge to turn it into anything. I would love to see them do something with it! Canada is one of my favorite pavilions. First, we lose Trapper Bob's Beaver Tails, and now this.

It would be nice to see the "Oh Canada" show get some updates interwoven soon like they did with the film in China. It still gives me chill bumps though as many times as I've seen the ending. So good to see the new WDW album include the theme for it.

A day seeing "Oh Canada", buying Roots merchandise at the NW Mercantile, lunch at Le Cellier with Cheese Soup, and the tunes of Off Kilter will always be a magical one!!

As a Canadian, born and raised, at 31 years of age, I found it odd that nothing in the film looked familiar. Also, the restaurante there amused me. I looked at the menu and don't think I've ever eaten about 4/5ths of what was on there. So maybe updating is needed.

Still love epcot though. I just treat the "Canadian pavillion" as another forein experience.

canuck

Disney Sailor that was funny and probably not to far off the mark.Our govt. has been caught with its collective hand in the cookie jar to the tune of $335 million ,that would have paid for a nice film. I dont see a new film anywhere on the horizon. So sad

RedBaron

jmuboy said:
There is a fairly good chance the Canada film will be updated soon. The canadian gov't would like to see it. Plus, China has been updated and the updated Norway film is being filmed as i type.
That is good news about the Norway film. I always thought they could have done a much better job with that. It is the only attraction that after the ride is done I leave and dont stick around for the film, not that I am impatient or in a hurry, but just thought it was a bad show. I also wish they could make the Canada and China films so that you could sit and watch. The films are beautiful, but after walking around all day, I just cant bear to stand for a 20 minute film no matter how beautiful the scenery. I wish they would make them more like the Visions of France theater. I wont hold my breath for this happening, but just a wish.

Goodeone

I loved the list of Canadian things you said that should go in, and I can guarantee you, that as a Canadian, if they were to open a Tim Hortons that I would hit it multiple times every trip. Heck, I think almost every Canadian would probobly stop by at least once. Nothing like a Tim's sandwich and soup for lunch, or a bagel for breakfast, and then a donut for an afternoon snack. Mmmmmm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom