Can you go from a Deluxe to a Value?

mbaker1277

I am considering a stay at a value resort(POP or ASMO) after staying in deluxe resorts for years. We have stayed at the BWI the last few visits, and last year we stayed at the CR with a tower room MK view, which was awesome! We can do the exact same vacation we did last year if we stay in a Value resort for 1/3 the price. I like the larger beds in the Deluxe resorts, and especially the convience of the Epcot resorts, but the price difference is huge! So, can a deluxe girl go value?

mrtoad

As a kid we use to stay at the Polynesian all the time but now that I am paying for it, a moderate fits our budget better. We did do the All Star Sports once and really did not like it. We usually stay at POR and you said you did not like that (did you mention why, I don't remember?). We recently booked for Pop Century in August and I kept thinking I did not want to do it as I was dissapointed in the All Star Sports. So I looked into upgrading by calling Kingdom Konsultants and was able to go from Pop to POR for only $110 total extra dollars. It might be worth looking into what an upgrade to one of the moderates would cost, you might be surprised...

Upvote 0
Eek. That's a toughie. As someone else suggested, why don't you do one of the moderates? I finally made the jump from value to moderate, and I cannot go back to value. There's a huge difference. But it also depends on your family. If you have little kids, the ASM,S,and M and PC are very fun to look at and play around. The moderates are so much quieter and relaxed. Or maybe you should try the first couple of nights at a value, and finish it up in the deluxe. This way, you'll know what a value is like for next time, but if you wind up hating it, you can just keep telling yourself, "Only two more days until the deluxe."

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I wouldn't do it. It's not a slight to people who prefer staying at a Value and spending the money they save at the parks (or people who can only afford a Value). But my GF and I definitely don't just crash at night, and we like at least a little more space than what the Value rooms offer. Plus, the sun can really take the energy out of my GF. While she recuperates with an afternoon nap, if I'm not sleepy, I like to take advantage of the amenities or sights the mods or Deluxes have to offer. You already said the resort would be more than a place to crash after spending all day at the parks. If that's the case, I think you'd be disappointed with a Value.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

slappy magoo said:
I wouldn't do it. It's not a slight to people who prefer staying at a Value and spending the money they save at the parks (or people who can only afford a Value). But my GF and I definitely don't just crash at night, and we like at least a little more space than what the Value rooms offer. Plus, the sun can really take the energy out of my GF. While she recuperates with an afternoon nap, if I'm not sleepy, I like to take advantage of the amenities or sights the mods or Deluxes have to offer. You already said the resort would be more than a place to crash after spending all day at the parks. If that's the case, I think you'd be disappointed with a Value.

I agree. For the few times that we have taken my daughter back to the room for a nap, I have gone out for a walk around both POR and POFQ and really enjoyed it (especially POR). Nice little stop off at the pool bar and have a cajun bloody mary...

I have only been on the propery of the All Star Sports as far a value resorts go so this could be different with the others. But I found there was no shade anywhere. All concrete, no tree coverage so a stroll around is not as enjoyable.

That being said, if I had a choice of either going to WDW and staying at a value or not going at all, I am going value. Also if I could stay off property or value only, I am staying value.

Upvote 0

mbaker1277

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks for all of your suggestions! We will be traveling with our 7 yr. old daughter, and she has a good bit of input in where we stay. Someone asked the question why I did not like POR. It was because of the room condition. The carpets were so dirty that they left the bottom of our socks black, all of the light fixtures except one had blown lightbulbs, the bed linens had stains and hairs on them, there was mold in the bathtub and along the bathroom tiles, the wallpaper was peeling, and there was a missing from the dresser drawer with a screw left sticking out in its place. We immediately called housekeeping, and the next morning they tried to clean the room, but it did not make a big difference. We knew we were transferring to the BWI in a few days so we took it in stride.
Our experience has not totally turned us off of the moderate resorts. We had a great stay at CS resort. I really like the look of the rooms at the POFQ, so I think we will split our stay between there and the YC. Thanks!

Upvote 0

sleepybear

I think you should definately factor the time of year you go into your decision. Since the parks close earlier in the off-season, you automatically have to spend more time at your chosen resort. I stayed at All-Star Sports seven years ago because that's all I could afford, and I was simply overjoyed at being back at WDW. But the parks closed early and we found ourselves kind of bored every night, sitting in a cramped room watching TV. As far as onsite entertainment goes, at value resorts there's not much more than the food court and pool.

Last year I stayed at Polynesian. It would have made more financial sense to stay at a value resort, but I didn't want the same problem. It was money well spent. The room was large and comfy. We had a balcony. We had great restaurants and bars to chose from. It still felt like a vacation and adventure once we left the parks. I can't say I felt that at the value resorts.

Upvote 0

mbaker1277

Original Poster
I completely agree about nighttime at the resorts. We will be going in January, so the latest a park will be open will be EPCOT. That is why will will be finishing up our stay at an EPCOT resort. We also go back for afternoon naps, and spend many evenings around the Boardwalk dining and people watching. I am beginning to think that a deluxe girl can't go value!

Upvote 0

WDFAN1977

I think it is a great idea. Over the next SEVERAL years I plan on staying at every resort that is on Disney property. It will allow for a great new experience every time my wife and soon to be children go to WDW. GO FOR IT!

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

mbaker1277 said:
Wow! Thanks for all of your suggestions! We will be traveling with our 7 yr. old daughter, and she has a good bit of input in where we stay. Someone asked the question why I did not like POR. It was because of the room condition. The carpets were so dirty that they left the bottom of our socks black, all of the light fixtures except one had blown lightbulbs, the bed linens had stains and hairs on them, there was mold in the bathtub and along the bathroom tiles, the wallpaper was peeling, and there was a missing from the dresser drawer with a screw left sticking out in its place. We immediately called housekeeping, and the next morning they tried to clean the room, but it did not make a big difference. We knew we were transferring to the BWI in a few days so we took it in stride.
Our experience has not totally turned us off of the moderate resorts. We had a great stay at CS resort. I really like the look of the rooms at the POFQ, so I think we will split our stay between there and the YC. Thanks!

I take it your stay at POR was pre-refurb? We stayed there in September 2004 and in February of this year. We had our small daughter with us and the refurbed room was awesome. Everything was brand new and clean. I have a phobia about dirty carpet in a room because of her, but this carpet still even smelled new. I was just suggesting giving POR another chance since the refurb. You will be more pleased with it.

Upvote 0

TimonRulz

I've never had the money to stay at a Deluxe resort, but I think the Value ones are a blast! So fun... so very fun!

Not taking anoything away from the Deluxe resorts. I've visited the Contemporary and its very cool!

Upvote 0

Rotel1026

I stayed at the POR December of last year and can also say that there were no problems with the room. Everything was in great condition and that resort overall was great. The setting was great and it really made for great walks around the resort and made it feel like you were somewhere other than Disney.

Stayed at Pop Century last July, if amenities are a big issue, I'd say it's a fine place to stay but that doesn't sound like the case with you. The setting is not as nice as the moderates or deluxes but it was still at Disney so I can't complain.

Upvote 0

shelty66

Since 1975 I have stayed at every WDW resort. Before staying in a new resort I would check out the new resort on the prior trip. I have always had a rental car so going to other resorts was easy. Having stayed at a value resort after a deluxe having a car was great. I would Not stay at a value resort without having a car. You can have B, L, D in 3 different resorts. Having a car at any resort increases your available time & ability to visit any resort without having to take a bus. With a car you can EMH at MGM TOT & RNR then be at the gates when EP opens SOARING then have lunch or dinner at your favorite resort. The last time at POP I had B at Chef Mickeys, Trails End, L Roaring Forks, Col Cotton Mill, Kona, D Boatwrights, ...

Upvote 0

righttrack

We like deluxes for one main reason - the beds! Its nice to have 2 queens versus 2 doubles. If we went to WDW for just a few days, it wouldn't matter, but making a week or more out of it, you really want to be comfortable sleeping. That said, the values don't seem all that bad.

Upvote 0

brich

jcat2312 said:
Instead of going from a Deluxe to a Value, I would go to Moderate first. That way, it wouldn't be so much of a shock to your system
I agree. We're staying at CBR then going to AKL for a few days and ending the trip with a few nights at the Poly. This is the only way our budget would allow us to enjoy the AKL and the Poly. Plus, we end on a high note which will only make us want to come back... As if we needed any more reasons. :lol:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Ringo8n24 said:
I take it your stay at POR was pre-refurb? We stayed there in September 2004 and in February of this year. We had our small daughter with us and the refurbed room was awesome. Everything was brand new and clean. I have a phobia about dirty carpet in a room because of her, but this carpet still even smelled new. I was just suggesting giving POR another chance since the refurb. You will be more pleased with it.

Just wanted to confirm that the rooms are refurbished. Stayed in the Alligator Bayou section this past Easter Week, and it was bee-yoo-tiful. If your previous stay creates too many bad memories, I can understand not wanting to give it another shot, but if you did, I suspect you'd be pleased with the changes.

For the record, POFQ rooms were also refurbished recently, but the refurbs to POR were done after POFQ. It might be a difference of only a few months.

Upvote 0

poohbear6103

I would not be able to do it either because I would be comparing the two as well. I just think the deluxe's are worth the money. I know people say that the majority of the time you spend there is with your eyes closed, so why bother. I know there is so much more to it than that. The size and comfort of the rooms. The monorail right there outside your door. Amazing restaurants within walking distance.

Since we usually do one big vacation, so I like part of my time spent relaxing and the Poly is the best for that. Plus, Disney is all about forgetting your day to day life and be in a dreamland of sorts. My dreamland is definitely at the Poly. You just get a totally different vibe there that to me at least makes a difference. I know anyone from any resort can use the the pool or take a walk on the beach at night or watch Wishes from the beach as well. I just like knowing that I can do that be back in my room if I want in 2 minutes. I am not into the buses, so that would be one of the major problems for me.

That's just the way I feel. I just think it would be hard for me. But to back your point as well, if that means you will get to spend more days at the Kingdom, then it could be worth it for you.

Upvote 0

csm7030

We usually stay at one of the Values when we shoot down for a long weekend. It makes it affordable and allows us to go more often with the AP rates, or at least it used to before this new system. Anyway, since most of the time in the room is spent sleeping we don't mind. We have recently started to change our minds and want to stay at one of the Epcot Resorts next time. The main reason is to be closer to the park. It can take quite some time to get from the All Stars to the parks. We stayed at the Poly one time and it was nice to be able to jump on the monorail or even walk to the TTC. The Moderate Resort are nicer than the Values, but they still lack the proximity to the parks.

Upvote 0

Firewolfe51

Oh no never! Moderate would be as good as it gets for us after a deluxe resort. The deluxe people just spoil you. You'll never find a better time than sitting on your balcony looking over seven seas lagoon and watching the fireworks over Cinderella's castle. :D THE BEST.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom