Can you do this?

Millionaire2K

Original Poster
I will try my best to explain.

100 points at SSR
100 points at BWV

all available Aug

So anyway. Lets say I wanted to book a 110 point say at BWV 11 months out. Now I know that I can't use the SSR points till 7 months.

So Could I borrow 10 BWV points from 2015 to make the BWV reservation?

Then at the 7 month mark have Disney use the 100 points from SSR and just 10 of the borrowed?.

So I would use the 10 borrowed and 100 points from SSR for the 110.

Then I bank the 100 BWV points into 2015 for:

SSR 100
BWV 190

Can I do this?

Last edited:

slappy magoo

???

100 points at SSR
100 points at OKW

all available Aug

So anyway. Lets say I wanted to book a 110 point say at BWV 11 months out. Now I know that I can't use the SSR points till 7 months. You can't use the OKW points either, not till 7 months out.

So Could I borrow 10 BWV points from 2015 to make the BWV reservation? Where are you getting BWV points? You have 100 at SSR and 100 at OKW.

Then at the 7 month mark have Disney use the 100 points from SSR and just 10 of the borrowed?.

SSR 100
BWV 190

Can I do this?
Did you mean to write you have 100 pts @ SSR and 100 @ BWV? If you did, you could borrow 10 BWV points from your Aug '15 use year. Those borrowed points must be used by the end of July 2015. Then yes, at the 7 month window, you could conceivably use your SSR points for a BWV stay instead of your BWV points and bank them. You will still have to use your borrowed BWV points. and then as of August 2015 you will have 100 SSR and 190 BWV points.

EDIT: Reading further down the post, I am now aware that you can't swap points as I described above, so my apologies. You could only "Swap" the points out if there is still availability at the resort for members who can now book at the 7 month window, at which point you're booking a new reservation and cancelling an old one versus "paying" for your current reservation with different points than you originally used to "pay" for them.

Last edited:

Phonedave

I am not 100% sure, but I do not think you can technically switch points on an EXISTING reservation like that. You would have to cancel the reservation you made with the combo BCV points and then hope you could pick it up again with the BCV/SSR points before it got grabbed (or assigend to a waitlist person)

I once changed a reservation from a 1BR for a week to a 2BR for 5 days and then a iBR for the remaining 2. There was some concern that I would get moved around after 5 days, even though I originally had a lock off. I forget what the exact situation was, but I do remember the CM explaining to me that she could not modify an existing reservation, that she had to cancel and re-book.

-dave

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Dave is right in that you cannot simply switch the points used for a reservation. The CMs will have to cancel your current reservation, and start a new one. If you are going at a slow time of year, you can probably get away with this. If you are going during a busy season (and remember that DVC busy seasons do not always line up with a busy WDW season), the chances are slim that anything will be available. If you can do it, I would highly recommend that you go through member services to do it. They can cancel the current reservation and re-book the new reservation much faster than you can on-line. We frequently make our initial reservation at our home resort (SSR) at the 11 month mark, and then switch at 7 months to somewhere else if available. Oh, and yes, you can certainly do what you are thinking. :)

slappy magoo

If you can do it, I would highly recommend that you go through member services to do it. They can cancel the current reservation and re-book the new reservation much faster than you can on-line.

When replying I was operating under the assumption that the OP would call at the 7 month window to do this. It should be less of a problem if the room type you want is still available when you want to re-book. But I'd say your odds are very very very good that, if you're trying to merely swap which points you're using, that you'll risk losing your reservation entirely. I honestly believe that they say they can't guarantee anything to give themselves some wiggle room in the event they make a mistake we wouldn't be privy to see in the event they can't book, and I'm by nature suspicious that anything will break my way (I routinely wait a good month or so to check my lottery tickets because what's the point, you know?).

tjkraz

We frequently make our initial reservation at our home resort (SSR) at the 11 month mark, and then switch at 7 months to somewhere else if available. Oh, and yes, you can certainly do what you are thinking. :)

That's not really what OP is trying to accomplish, though.

Sounds like he wants to book BWV 11 months out and then switch the reservation to SSR points at 7 months, with the assumption being that there wouldn't actually be any BWV rooms left to reserve at 7 months. If I'm interpreting correctly, this is NOT allowed.

The only time Member Services would accommodate this request is if there are actually unbooked rooms at 7 months. If that's the case, they will let you switch a reservation to non-home points since it's really no different than just making the original reservation at 7 months.

What they will not permit is for you to essentially hold a reservation for 4 months using Home resort points, and then switch it over to non-Home points. At the very least, that violates the spirit of the Home resort booking window, if not the proverbial letter of the law.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Hey Tim. When I said switch, I was talking about cancelling an existing reservation made at the 11 month mark, and making a brand new one for a different resort at the 7 month mark. What the OP is trying to do is exactly that, but at the same resort, and simply using different points. I would never advocate trying to get member services to "switch" points just to save a reservation, as you are absolutely correct that it would be wrong to do so! Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
You need to check, I may be wrong, but once you make a reservation and than cancel it, you can not bank the points. The must be used in the use year of the orginial booking.

Millionaire2K

Original Poster
You need to check, I may be wrong, but once you make a reservation and than cancel it, you can not bank the points. The must be used in the use year of the orginial booking.

Not true. They only go into holding within 30-1 days before the trip.

modifying_reservation_table_092013.png

cancelling_reservation_table_092013.png

bubster

100 points at SSR
100 points at BWV

all available Aug

So anyway. Lets say I wanted to book a 110 point say at BWV 11 months out. Now I know that I can't use the SSR points till 7 months.

So Could I borrow 10 BWV points from 2015 to make the BWV reservation?

SSR 100
BWV 190

Can I do this?

Trying to switch those points at 7 months would be circumventing the home resort advantage. MS will not let you do that. Sorry.

You can only do this if there is availability at 7 months. You will have to cancel the 1st reservation and use the borrowed BWV points and the SSR points. Then you can bank the 100 BWV points.

Millionaire2K

Original Poster
Trying to switch those points at 7 months would be circumventing the home resort advantage. MS will not let you do that. Sorry.

You can only do this if there is availability at 7 months. You will have to cancel the 1st reservation and use the borrowed BWV points and the SSR points. Then you can bank the 100 BWV points.

Please explain how it would be "circumventing the home resort advantage"? Its my home resort. I can do as I want. I think people who "walk" reservations are "circumventing the home resort advantage" by booking rooms up in advance of their stay just so they can book the 1st night of their stay a week sooner.

Anyway I just did it no problem. I had BWV booked with BWV points in a Standard Studio from Oct 6th - Oct 13th. I called at 9 am and asked to switch the points from my BWV points to my SSR points. The lady was happy to help.

She did a lot of typing and less then 5 mins later it was done. She gave me a new Con# and I was done.

Now I have all my BWV points I can now use to book my next trip in March 2015.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

bubster

Please explain how it would be "circumventing the home resort advantage"? Its my home resort. I can do as I want. I think people who "walk" reservations are "circumventing the home resort advantage" by booking rooms up in advance of their stay just so they can book the 1st night of their stay a week sooner.

Anyway I just did it no problem. I had BWV booked with BWV points in a Standard Studio from Oct 6th - Oct 13th. I called at 9 am and asked to switch the points from my BWV points to my SSR points. The lady was happy to help.

She did a lot of typing and less then 5 mins later it was done. She gave me a new Con# and I was done.

Now I have all my BWV points I can now use to book my next trip in March 2015.

Thanks for the help.

I'm glad to hear you achieved your goal. But unless you got a really nice CM there probably was availability at BWV and she did what I described. That's what took so long and why you got a new confirmation #.

I know the rules about circumventing the home resort advantage because I tried to do it myself and was told the rules in no uncertain terms. I had banked points from a resale at BCV and wanted to use them at 7 months and bank my BLT points. If there had been availability they would have cancelled my existing reservation and rebooked with the banked resale points but there wasn't.

Assuming you got your BWV reservation at 11 months you used your home resort advantage. If everybody could do this there would be no "advantage".

Again, I'm glad you got what you wanted. And FWIW I agree with you about the "walkers" but it's allowed.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm glad to hear you achieved your goal. But unless you got a really nice CM there probably was availability at BWV and she did what I described. That's what took so long and why you got a new confirmation #.

I know the rules about circumventing the home resort advantage because I tried to do it myself and was told the rules in no uncertain terms. I had banked points from a resale at BCV and wanted to use them at 7 months and bank my BLT points. If there had been availability they would have cancelled my existing reservation and rebooked with the banked resale points but there wasn't.

Assuming you got your BWV reservation at 11 months you used your home resort advantage. If everybody could do this there would be no "advantage".

Again, I'm glad you got what you wanted. And FWIW I agree with you about the "walkers" but it's allowed.

How does this "walking" scam work? I'm always looking for new ways to game the system;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom