Can they make a ride without screens?

UpAllNight

I love Splash Mountain as much as I love Spiderman...variety is what makes Orlando the best.

Universal could do with more AA based rides, but likewise Spiderman is approaching 20 years old and Disney still haven't made anything as technically awe-inspiring screen wise to match or exceed it.

EngineJoe

I love Splash Mountain as much as I love Spiderman...variety is what makes Orlando the best.

Universal could do with more AA based rides, but likewise Spiderman is approaching 20 years old and Disney still haven't made anything as technically awe-inspiring screen wise to match or exceed it.

The good Disney technology is pooh honey hunt in Tokyo, ratatouille in Paris etc. trackless rides.

Us Disney is too cheap to use that technology.

nerdboyrockstar

The part that I find funny are the suggestions for how these new attractions should be. Gringotts should have ONLY been a rollercoaster through bank vaults. But, there's elements of that already in the ride. So you do get that, plus an encounter with Bellatrix, Voldemort, and other characters in the Potter cannon thanks to some of the most unbelievably screen tech I've ever countered.

Then Kong should have had more AA's like Kongfrontation. Do your nostalgia a favor and go watch a vid of Kongfrontation on YouTube. You might not remember it was literally turning the corner of a NY set, seeing AA Kong 1, turn another corner, see AA Kong 2, and then unload. You still get your AA Kong in Skull Island, in addition to a whole bunch of other elements during the attraction.

I understand the qualms about screens, I really do. But like Spiderman, Transformers, FJ, and Gringotts before it, Kong is climbing the ranks of the top attractions in the world, because of the way it masterfully blends all the elements. It's hard to complain about a good ride, and it's also difficult to take criticisms seriously when they're based off YouTube videos. You haven't experienced it. Do yourself a favor and do so.

HouseHacker97

My take is that as long as the ride vehicle moves enough around (whether that be from screen directly to screen or more of a transition through physical sets), I'm happy. For example, Gringotts really doesn't bother me because the physical sets that surround the ride are *extremely* impressive and the ride does have quite a bit of thrills that make me forget about how screens slightly annoy me. Spiderman has a lot of movement too, but transformers on the other hand goes a bit overboard with the amount of screens IMO. it just makes me feel like its star tours (even though it obv does move around). It just seems like the ride is 99% staring at a screen without anything else, as if i could have literally just watched the movie sitting in one of those vibrating massage chairs instead. I haven't been on Kong yet but from what I've seen on youtube it appears the screens blend somewhat seamlessly and there are plenty of physical sets and AA's to keep me happy

EngineJoe

You know if a new version of Journey Into Imagination ever became a reality. It would have been a very good use of that ride system for the first time at the US Disney parks if Dreamfinder was brought back.
Yeah that would be a perfect use for trackless technology.

But the main Disney (us) is too cheap to invest in a $150 million ride. I do think the ride will come down a little bit in cost as time passes though.

raven

You know if a new version of Journey Into Imagination ever became a reality. It would have been a very good use of that ride system for the first time at the US Disney parks if Dreamfinder was brought back.
JII has many different elevations along the path. A trackless system implemented there would mean a complete demo of the entire building and then starting from scratch. And with Disney's record, if they did that then they would just build something else in that spot.

JoeCamel

It is the statements that "US parks are flat and growth is overseas" that really bother me. Yeah really if you don't build anything amazing the growth will be flat but if you only invest elsewhere than your most attended park then the result is to be expected.

Build me something new and I will come, let it rot and I will be where they value me as a customer.

Bob has no idea how to grow parks only IP acquisitions and does not capitalize on them here. 5 years? Maybe I will still be in the area but I doubt it I have a bad taste in my mouth from how APs are treated here in WDW land.

EngineJoe

It is the statements that "US parks are flat and growth is overseas" that really bother me. Yeah really if you don't build anything amazing the growth will be flat but if you only invest elsewhere than your most attended park then the result is to be expected.

Build me something new and I will come, let it rot and I will be where they value me as a customer.

Bob has no idea how to grow parks only IP acquisitions and does not capitalize on them here. 5 years? Maybe I will still be in the area but I doubt it I have a bad taste in my mouth from how APs are treated here in WDW land.

Well the thing is the foreign parks aren't owned by Disney. For example Tokyo isn't owned by Disney. It's owned by the oriental land company and they are willing to spend $150 million for a trackless ride.

The us parks are owned by Disney publicly traded company and seem more concerned with the short term bottom line than a cutting edge ride that will be a loss in the short term due to how expensive it is.

JoeCamel

Well the thing is the foreign parks aren't owned by Disney. For example Tokyo isn't owned by Disney. It's owned by the oriental land company and they are willing to spend $150 million for a trackless ride.

The us parks are owned by Disney publicly traded company and seem more concerned with the short term bottom line than a cutting edge ride that will be a loss in the short term due to how expensive it is.

Exactly, this is the cash cow to finance the others while we have 35 year old rides with poor capacity and no innovation that has been put into other parks.

Really wondering why many of the rides in Shanghai are clones that were upgraded without a really new concept among them. Just disgusting for a company that claims to be cutting edge in theme parks.

EngineJoe

Exactly, this is the cash cow to finance the others while we have 35 year old rides with poor capacity and no innovation that has been put into other parks.

Really wondering why many of the rides in Shanghai are clones that were upgraded without a really new concept among them. Just disgusting for a company that claims to be cutting edge in theme parks.

Poohs honey hunt in Tokyo cost $130 mil back in 2000. I'm not sure what the equivalent expenditure would be 16 years later.

The radiator spring ride cost $200 mil and opened in 2012. Haven't ridden it yet but from watching YouTube I would say that ride is a home run over in los Angeles.

Ratatouille cost 270 million in 2014 in Paris.

brb1006

Poohs honey hunt in Tokyo cost $130 mil back in 2000. I'm not sure what the equivalent expenditure would be 16 years later.

The radiator spring ride cost $200 mil and opened in 2012. Haven't ridden it yet but from watching YouTube I would say that ride is a home run over in los Angeles.

What about Hong Kong's Mystic Manor?

fosse76

The old attraction did it all with physical effects... you can have things falling, crashing, blowing up, wind, smells, movement. What screens allow you is speed and greater range of feasible things to do vs being limited to what you can do in a repeatable attraction that needs to reset every 30 seconds.

The 'level of action' is why I think UNI relies on them so much.. but its not the only choice in attraction design.

I think this absolutely 100% true, and more succinctly said than when I tried to say the same thing. I think I used Transformers in my example about how AAs simply would not work with what was needed. There is just no amount of realism in the motion of the AAs. How do you do a Simpsons attraction that doesn't end-up looking like the Little Mermaid ride at Magic Kingdom? As long as the screens are 1) not the only aspect of the ride, 2) used because it isn't feasible to achieve physically in an attraction and 3) in focus, then I am o.k. with their use.

BrerJon

I'm amazed at those figures. For essentially a warehouse building and some plastic props and screens, even $20 million seems excessive, so the fact you hit 100 before you start is quite astounding, I can't imagine where all the money goes.

AndrewsJ

You having a bad day?

I'm not just comparing screens vs. animatronics. (Did you really just compare the dwarves faces with a simulator?) Disney has way more non-simulation rides than Universal. It's not even a contest.

Even still, of the new attractions in New Fantasyland, none are screens/simulators. No, the dwarf faces don't count. :rolleyes: According to what I was able to find online, one out of two attractions in Pandora will be a simulator. I'm not sure how that equals "mostly screens." I'm not sure if there's enough info on Star Wars Land to determine whether the rides will be "mostly screens" unless you know something I don't.

As for every ride with animatronics being 25+ years old, did you forget about Journey of The Little Mermaid? Dinosaur? I'm pretty sure those are much newer than 25+ years old.
My brother can't do simulators either. I don't think those who are unaffected understand. It's not that he doesn't want to. He loves all types of rides but becomes truly ill on simulators. It's just the way he is wired so I feel your pain. Hulk, DD, Cat in the Hat and Jurassic River Adventure are about all he can do at Universal. The spinning rides get to him sometimes as well. If you can, load up on dramamine and keep your eyes closed to the end of Reign of Kong so you can at least see the animatronic.

The attraction might be just mainly screen based but sorry guys this doesn't feel like a
6 minute attraction I don't know why. I understand the ride is still in soft opening too, wish it was for some changes that would Please some fans of universal who aren't feeling 3d anymore. And one other thing you've got the new King kong film coming out next year? Personally I would have waited to see what they could do with Warner Bros.Kong: Skull Island. Not to mention in the film the king himself will be the largest kong ever created standing 100 feet tall. KONGFRONTATION I believe he was 30 feet
Just picture of an 100 foot AA of kong standing right in front of you. I'd rather see him take on Godzilla in a attraction at the third park rather than ride this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom