Can they make a ride without screens?

Disneyhead'71

The thing about screens is that they are already old-school. We can watch shows AT HOME NOW on screens EVEN IN 3D (a friend of mine has a 3D TV and it's awesome, aside from the heavy glasses.) Theme park rides are supposed to take you to places you haven't already been. Well, when it comes to screens, anyone who has a modern TV has been there, done that, so come on all you theme-park ride designers/financiers, cut it out with them already! There's nothing amazing about them anymore. They're not even convincing. Look at the Hitchhiking Ghosts in the Haunted Mansion. Those screens are stupid. They make you think you're watching a cartoon, instead of something real that's happening in front of you, like the old effect did.

And just when AAs were really coming into their own, too, with all the great software and mechanics and stuff. Oh, what Walt and his original Imagineers could do with those...or, better said, WOULD do with those, as opposed to the people who build park rides now. What a gyp.
And I can buy a RC dinosaur animatronic at Target that I can control myself for $99.00 that is more advanced than anything in the Tiki Room or Haunted Mansion.

Disneyhead'71

I mean, people are gonna like what they like. I've said all along tha Disney fans are not going to care this attraction.

That's fine. I loathe M&Gs. A lot of what Disney has been putting out in the past decade I have absolutely no interest in. Disney fans wet themselves in glee when Olaf or Maleficient are available. I'd rather have a root canal.

Magenta Panther

Oh, don't get me wrong, I want to ride this Kong attraction sooooooooooooo bad. I'm just a little bummed about things like the tops and bottoms of its screens showing, things that seem like an obvious problem and easy to fix.

misterID

I mean, people are gonna like what they like. I've said all along tha Disney fans are not going to care this attraction.

That's fine. I loathe M&Gs. A lot of what Disney has been putting out in the past decade I have absolutely no interest in. Disney fans wet themselves in glee when Olaf or Maleficient are available. I'd rather have a root canal.
Not all Disney fans. And you know very well the irrational defensiveness that comes with a certain portion of UNI fans when you make the slightest criticism of screens. And it's funny that when there's a UNI debate the first thing latched on to in an argument is a thirty year old attraction like Tiki or Small World. Disney isn't perfect by any means, but copying two attractions from a tram tour with the same, format and vehicles is lazy, IMO.

HouseHacker97

I like screens as they really expand the environment of rides. However, i prefer the ratio be at most about (25% screen), (75% AA/real set).
If the ride ratios went from screens to real sets, I think they would follow as such:
Spiderman- 60:40
Transformers- 90:10
Gringotts- 70:30
FJ- 60:40
Kong- 70:30
Mummy- 10:90 (which is why it's my favorite lol)
That being said, I think Disney would really benefit from using *some* screens in rides like Dinosaur, Space Mtn, Pirates, RRC, etc to name a few. I think Universal could also benefit from using more real sets now that they have shown how quickly they can do it

HouseHacker97

This is why I'm really excited about the "high speed chase" ride coming to Star Wars land because it sounds (to me atleast) that the vehicles might be the same ones from Indy/Dino, use screens to expand the environment, and will be thrilling enough to compare to Universal

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I feel you, I also get motion sickness and there is a big difference between a simulator and a ride that uses screens. I was able to do Gringotts, Forbidden Journey etc all lot easier then Star Tours as they move through the environments more. Things like Minions get to me.

fosse76

I know people like to complain about screens, but I don't think animatronics would really work for a lot of these rides. These are parks based on movies, people are going to expect realisitc resemblance to what they see in the movies. None of the screen-based attractions would work as well if everything was an animatronic. They'd all be boring dark rides. Animatronics simply do not move realistically.

Bairstow

I know people like to complain about screens, but I don't think animatronics would really work for a lot of these rides. These are parks based on movies, people are going to expect realisitc resemblance to what they see in the movies. None of the screen-based attractions would work as well if everything was an animatronic. They'd all be boring dark rides. Animatronics simply do not move realistically.

You find Temple of the Forbidden Eye, the old Jaws ride, and The Mummy boring?

raven

Avatar is mostly screens, Star Wars will be mostly Screens, Soarin all screens, Toy Story, all screens, the dwarf faces in the mine train are screens, Frozen will be about half/half. There are more animatronics in Kong than in the Shanghai Pirates. Little Mermaid is the last attraction at Disney that wasn't completely screen based (and that too has several).

The rides everyone mentions with the animatronics at disney are all 25+ years old now, and some have been removed (Journey into Imagination is now mostly screens).

I think people have a serious rose colored glasses problem, since Disney hasn't really put out much in the last decade. The Yeti doesn't move.

The original Kong was pretty dull, neat apes, but that was it.

All most people care about is the ride good or not, Kong is good.

Nintendo will be much less screen intensive, so you freaks can look forward to that.

There needs to be a balance of screen-based rides and non. Universal is getting away from that. You can list all the Disney screen-based rides you want in this thread but they have twice as many (if not more) non screen-based attractions as well.

In my opinion, I'm tired of looking at computer screens, phone screens, televisions screens, etc in my daily life and expect an escape from that when I visit a park.

No Name

And I can buy a RC dinosaur animatronic at Target that I can control myself for $99.00 that is more advanced than anything in the Tiki Room or Haunted Mansion.

The quality of an attraction is based on how "advanced" the individual parts are? Really, is that what you're implying here? Based on your previous posts, it sure sounds like it.

In your opinion, I guess it's time to rebuild It's a Small World. Those dolls have such limited motion... I could buy a more advanced toy!

Often times there's charm to older and/or less advanced things. I like to judge things based on the experience as a whole. That's how most people judge things, and that's how you should too.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Davy Jones in Shanghai would disagree with you

Of course he can't run across the stage either :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom