Can they make a ride without screens?

Disneyhead'71

Some of the 3d attractions universal has created today I'm sorry can't live up to the 90's Uni days when I was growing up. Again just picture a new jaws ride in 3d putting on glasses that sounds absolutely horrible!!!!! I know universal for right now it may be the only way they can do action in 3D, but as time goes on i highly doubt we as theme park lovers come lets,say 2050 we will still be wearing 3d glasses on rides. I think AAs needs to rise to the next level and see more physical based attractions. I read somewhere that AA Kong in this new,attraction was supposed to do something else besides just letting riders go past it while in the truck.
I don't even know how to respond to all that blather.

But here goes, by 2050, Universal will have updated all the attractions as the tech becomes outdated. At Disney you'll still be looking at 80 year old robots. And when Universal does update Kong, it won't be by shoving Guardians of the Galaxy into a south sea ancient native temple.

And no, the Kong AA does exactly what it was always planned to do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Also practical effects just would not work on Kong, their is way to much action to do with practical effects, it just wouldn't work.

The old attraction did it all with physical effects... you can have things falling, crashing, blowing up, wind, smells, movement. What screens allow you is speed and greater range of feasible things to do vs being limited to what you can do in a repeatable attraction that needs to reset every 30 seconds.

The 'level of action' is why I think UNI relies on them so much.. but its not the only choice in attraction design.

Disneyhead'71

Not all of us like 3d even though some of you may like it the rest of us on the other half are still puzzled on what universal has done here. Dear Mike West is this all you can do? Personally I would start a petition to universal parks telling them to be more creative when planning another big attraction like this was supposed to be. Steven Spielberg has a connection with Universal theme parks you know and if he rode this rude, I think he would be fairly dissapointed.
Have you ridden it?

rufio

Original Poster
...by 2050, Universal will have updated all the attractions as the tech becomes outdated. At Disney you'll still be looking at 80 year old robots.

Sometimes it's okay to keep the "80 year old robots." I'd rather have a variety than all "innovative" simulation rides and I know I'm not the only one. It seems like there are a lot of people who are upset that Universal got rid of a lot of their older attractions (Jaws and Twister, for example). Some of Disney's most popular rides at Magic Kingdom are the oldest. Things don't necessarily need to be thrown out just because they're old.

imperius

Sometimes it's okay to keep the "80 year old robots." I'd rather have a variety than all "innovative" simulation rides and I know I'm not the only one. It seems like there are a lot of people who are upset that Universal got rid of a lot of their older attractions (Jaws and Twister, for example). Some of Disney's most popular rides at Magic Kingdom are the oldest. Things don't necessarily need to be thrown out just because they're old.
But they do if you want to update. Keeping old rides isn't a good idea if you need the space for other options especially in Universals case. Diagon is far better than Jaws and while I love BTTF, Simpsons are more well known and the new Springfield section is superior to what it was.

Have you ridden it?
No but seeing the YouTube video didn't show me much and I became bored after watching game 2 3d projection screens after that their came the 3rd of didn't bother. It's a soft opening and BTW what's with the different tracks during the ride with different truck drivers? What kind of experience will you get with all 5 drivers?

I'm sorry you may think I'm trashing Universal Studios Parks in general but I'm not...I did expect more of a ride out of this yes and I'm not taking my statement back. Yes after you enter the wall I would've have liked to seen the 72 seat truck stay outside and maybe enter a vast jungle....as your in it yes you would encounter dinos, eventually get to the bat cave...make it indoors, the insects you would see either outdoors or indoors, personally yes still keep long inside they said it was suppose to seriously reach out its hand and touch the truck!!!! But this kong was supposed to standing 30 feet facing the vehicle for only like 5-10 feet away from you until he approaches the truck. Now that's what I call innovative and would gladly email this email to Mike West to address my displeasure of the ride. I can pixie dust a little bit. I think they should do some overhauling of the attraction and reopen it. Yea it is a kong 360 3d clone of hollywood like it or not! Only difference here is the AA bats and AA Kong!

Disneyhead'71

No but seeing the YouTube video didn't show me much and I became bored after watching game 2 3d projection screens after that their came the 3rd of didn't bother. It's a soft opening and BTW what's with the different tracks during the ride with different truck drivers? What kind of experience will you get with all 5 drivers?
The 5 different drivers tell the same story in their own unique ways. The ride is essentially the same with different jokes. It's like having 5 different JC captains.

And YouTube videos don't do the ride justice.

Disneyhead'71

I'm sorry you may think I'm trashing Universal Studios Parks in general but I'm not...I did expect more of a ride out of this yes and I'm not taking my statement back. Yes after you enter the wall I would've have liked to seen the 72 seat truck stay outside and maybe enter a vast jungle....as your in it yes you would encounter dinos, eventually get to the bat cave...make it indoors, the insects you would see either outdoors or indoors, personally yes still keep long inside they said it was suppose to seriously reach out its hand and touch the truck!!!! But this kong was supposed to standing 30 feet facing the vehicle for only like 5-10 feet away from you until he approaches the truck. Now that's what I call innovative and would gladly email this email to Mike West to address my displeasure of the ride. I can pixie dust a little bit. I think they should do some overhauling of the attraction and reopen it. Yea it is a kong 360 3d clone of hollywood like it or not! Only difference here is the AA bats and AA Kong!
First off, who said the Kong AA was going to do any of that stuff? Universal sure didn't.

And this is no more a clone of Kong 360 than Flight of Passage is a clone of Soarin', (which it's not, but the Uni fanbois will say it is). Sound familiar.

I don't even know how to respond to all that blather.

But here goes, by 2050, Universal will have updated all the attractions as the tech becomes outdated. At Disney you'll still be looking at 80 year old robots. And when Universal does update Kong, it won't be by shoving Guardians of the Galaxy into a south sea ancient native temple.

And no, the Kong AA does exactly what it was always planned to do.
BTW it isn't blather....to me because that's not my type....all I'm saying is I kinda expected more out of this attraction. I think skull island reign of kong should've waited anyway since Kong Skull Island the film is being released next year. So we could see even new creatures in yet another new kong movie. He might even stand up straight again. I prefered the Kong from the 2002 KONGFRONTATION. Sorry kong is better when he more ticked off. All I'm saying is somewhere down the road you probably will see another new kong attraction based on next year's film but it won't be for awhile obviously. Kind of curious will we see more 3d technology while putting on glasses? I doubt it. Real scenery and physical sets make it more realistic I think that's the part you guys don't understand. Universal parks in the near future must understand this...and I fear every single attraction at the new rumored 3rd gate will have 3d projected screens. Just so you know guys that 3d can work with out glasses, and just imagine if they can create a 4k screen for those of you that still love screen based attractions that's fine. But please enough with the glasses you know I'm a little turned off by having to put my glasses on that I normally wear with 3d glasses on top of them. So ooooooo annoying. Universal needs real life attractions and 3d based attractions but they both need to be equal. Kong can succeed without 3d today trust me universal has all the tools to make that happen.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to bash the attraction but let's say if Kong isn't the last 3d attraction we see and it keeps happening and happening Universal fans I think will be scratching their heads and seriously say am I coming to watch a 3d screened based show with a simulator or am I coming to ride the movies which should still be universal parks slogan.

DisUniversal

I'm not trying to bash the attraction but let's say if Kong isn't the last 3d attraction we see and it keeps happening and happening Universal fans I think will be scratching their heads and seriously say am I coming to watch a 3d screened based show with a simulator or am I coming to ride the movies which should still be universal parks slogan.
To me nothing fits the phrase "Ride the movies" better than a motion based ride vehicle mixed with large immersive screens.

Magenta Panther

The thing about screens is that they are already old-school. We can watch shows AT HOME NOW on screens EVEN IN 3D (a friend of mine has a 3D TV and it's awesome, aside from the heavy glasses.) Theme park rides are supposed to take you to places you haven't already been. Well, when it comes to screens, anyone who has a modern TV has been there, done that, so come on all you theme-park ride designers/financiers, cut it out with them already! There's nothing amazing about them anymore. They're not even convincing. Look at the Hitchhiking Ghosts in the Haunted Mansion. Those screens are stupid. They make you think you're watching a cartoon, instead of something real that's happening in front of you, like the old effect did.

And just when AAs were really coming into their own, too, with all the great software and mechanics and stuff. Oh, what Walt and his original Imagineers could do with those...or, better said, WOULD do with those, as opposed to the people who build park rides now. What a gyp.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom