Can they make a ride without screens?

Lol you do know Disney is planning on doing the same thing right?

I am but disney right now I believe has more non 3d attractions I'm pretty sure. I was just a little shocked that mostly skull island reign of kong was indoors. The only outdoor portion of the ride lasted for about 1 minute. I understand,their are different tracks with different drivers during the ride but it would be nice to see more outdoor scenes...it's just basically watching a 3d film then seeing an updated version of a AA Kong...yes bats before that with the tribal people on the other side....but I really expected a thrill ride here.

Last edited:
Some of the 3d attractions universal has created today I'm sorry can't live up to the 90's Uni days when I was growing up. Again just picture a new jaws ride in 3d putting on glasses that sounds absolutely horrible!!!!! I know universal for right now it may be the only way they can do action in 3D, but as time goes on i highly doubt we as theme park lovers come lets,say 2050 we will still be wearing 3d glasses on rides. I think AAs needs to rise to the next level and see more physical based attractions. I read somewhere that AA Kong in this new,attraction was supposed to do something else besides just letting riders go past it while in the truck.

Not all of us like 3d even though some of you may like it the rest of us on the other half are still puzzled on what universal has done here. Dear Mike West is this all you can do? Personally I would start a petition to universal parks telling them to be more creative when planning another big attraction like this was supposed to be. Steven Spielberg has a connection with Universal theme parks you know and if he rode this rude, I think he would be fairly dissapointed.

A foolish mortal

Lol Shanghai POTC, the millennium falcon ride will be screens, the main avatar ride will be screens, which are the new rides they are putting out. Not really hard to figure this one out.

This is not good enough! You clearly misunderstood what we are talking about!

First of all: Pirates of The Caribbean: Battle of the Sunken Treasure DO use screen to extend scenes BUT the ride is NOT a simulator type ride! So this is NOT a valid example!
Second: We know nothing about the Millennium Falcon ride yet so you can't really use that as proof either. If (most likely) it is a simulator ride it will be one of MANY new rides that is in fact a simulator ride! (not like Uni where all new rides are simulators).
Third: The main Avatar is a good example! BUT that makes only ONE of the many new rides.

Both Avatar and Star Wars will have more than one new ride each.. and they are not all gonna be simulator rides.

Now you have given us two examples of rides that will be simulator rides, and with this you are saying: "you do know Disney is planning on doing the same thing right?" This is not proof enough. Disney are not "planning on doing the same thing" just because one of the Avatar and one of the Star Wars rides are gonna be simulators. Have a look at the new Toy Story land or the new Frozen attraction and tell me how many of those rides are simulators... (no I'm not talking screens as an effect... that's two very different things!)

Your proof is not good enough! ;)

Disney Analyst

The only point I want to make, and this goes for both Disney and Universal. The thing that captured me as a kid when I first visited Disneyland was how I could not figure out what the heck happened. How did the Blue Fairy disappear at the end of the Pinocchio ride? How were the ghosts so see through and could appear and disappear in Haunted Mansion? How did a fire breathing dragon appear on a stage in the middle of the show, set a river on fire, and seemingly vanish? How the heck did I dodge that boulder in Indiana Jones?!

I was 11, and it blew my mind. It made me fall in love with theme parks, and the things they created.

I remember riding the tram tour and USH, and the Kong section was terrifying, but seeing that beast up close after the helicopter somehow crashed was incredible. I understood they were animatronics, or at the time I thought robots, but I still couldn't figure out how all those things worked. It was as if all of it came out of a fantasy world I had never experienced.

This was what made me seek out message boards such as this when I was 15 (10 years ago), to figure out how everything works, how the heck they created such amazing things.

Then I finally visited Disney World, and USO... And wow! Spaceship earth?! How the heck did that ride work inside a dome! Forbidden Journey? WHAT THE HECK?! Spider-Man blew my mind, it was the first I had ever experience a ride like this, and honestly Spider-Man is the perfect blend and use of the technology to date, especially with the updates.

My point is, I personally believe attractions should have aspects that make you scratch your head, that leave your wanting to re-ride to see what ever magic happened, happen again. They should fill your imagination with wonder, even as an adult. My issue with this new reliance on screen-forward rides Universal is pumping out, is that if I was 11 now, I could figure out how it was all working... instantly. Kong, as quality as it is, does not leave me scratching my head. It just doesn't. Gringotts doesn't leave me scratching my head. Spider-Man and Transformers are great blends of the technology, and very successful for the most part. There are elements of Spider-Man that really make me wonder how it was achieved, like the climbing of the building when the walls are sliding down around you. Took me so long to figure out what was happening. Star Tours is a simulator, it was cool when I rode it at 11, but it doesn't leave me with a sense of wonderment.

I don't have high hopes for Fast and Furious or Fallon, they could prove me wrong... but I want to leave an attraction feeling like I have no clue what just happened, not like I rode through a movie with motion aspects.

A foolish mortal

Ahhh the pixie dust flows here. My bad.
Yeah... you clearly got some in your eye! :(

Nah.. But seriously! I do enjoy Universal a lot, especially The Hulk, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter (is amazing) and many other (non simulator) attractions. I just wish they could have some new rides that would be different from the other new ones they have! So dont get me wrong.. I do not hate Uni or anything, i just wish they had more variety in their newer rides :)

E.T Adventure is the best non 3d attraction that universal parks has ever built. I'm talking about the orlando one too. I'm hearing sadly though one day E.T might be packing up and leaving us riding his bike with his friend in the sky!!!! Let's hope not anytime soon. As you saw too during the attraction how E.T anamatronic was able to say people's names at the very end of the attraction had me speechless as a 6 year old kid!!!!!! Yes of course that's something I scratch my head over and to this day too believe it or not. I know alot of ppl bashed twister ride it out when it left USF personally people yes said it sucked....sadly i left usf for the day back in late 90's and it was still under construction. But earthquake the big one too seeing water come into the trams by seeing a flood of water from the spectacular physical sets of the attraction...that's what makes people scratch their head. The alien encounter at magic kingdom which was the most underrated attraction IMO...indeed was the most scariest had my teeth shuttering and sweating seeing the alien break through the glass on the screen lights are off, you feel his breath behind your neck...yea those were some good times....why can't that happen again? If a new Indiana jones ride comes to the studios based on indy 5 that's releases in 3 years...I'll be curious if you'll have to wear glasses..if it were up to me no. I think every theme park at either disney or universal should have about 3-4 3d attractions but that's it. I don't call the shots anyway so what do I know. Just to mix it up..my final 2 cents on this extremely long winded post of mine.

The alien encounter at MK is my most missed attraction that has gone BTW. Too scary for children but it sure delivered in a big way!!!!! Just think if Uni can pull off an Alien vs Predator mini land or attraction. Probably may not work because those rights belong to Fox.

BrerJon

The alien encounter at MK is my most missed attraction that has gone BTW. Too scary for children but it sure delivered in a big way!!!!! Just think if Uni can pull off an Alien vs Predator mini land or attraction. Probably may not work because those rights belong to Fox.

They've had Alien vs Predator houses at Halloween Horror Nights on several years actually. The last one I went to in 2014 had a really good puppet Alien that when you were in the maze looked like a full animatronic. Definitely the best house I went in that year.

Tom Morrow

I am not a pixie duster and these days I root for Universal over Disney. But these are valid complaints and I don't think it's fair to bring out the pixie duster insult.

It's not just the use of screens. It's that these attractions are all motion simulator hybrids and all hitting the same notes - move to scene, stop, watch action unfold on screen, move past some minimal sets, stop and another screen, repeat.

I know that is oversimplifying it a bit. Each of these rides are actually very good and impressive. And they would be the star at almost any theme park in the world.

If Kong was the last attraction of this type for a while and we knew that F&F and Fallon would not follow this formula it also might even be a different story. But they almost certainly will be the same formula and it's exhausting and lazy. (Yes I know a lot of work still goes into development and "lazy" is perhaps not the right word, but it feels that way).

I want UOR to be the best theme park resort. But a great theme park needs variety.

Last edited:
I am not a pixie duster and these days I root for Universal over Disney. But these are valid complaints and I don't think it's fair to bring out the pixie duster insult.

It's not just the use of screens. It's that these attractions are all motion simulator hybrids and all hitting the same notes - move to scene, stop, watch action unfold on screen, move past some minimal sets, stop and another screen, repeat.

I know that is oversimplifying it a bit. Each of these rides are actually very good and impressive. And they would be the star at almost any theme park in the world.

If Kong was the last attraction of this type for a while and we knew that F&F and Fallon would not follow this formula it also might even be a different story. But they almost certainly will be the same formula and it's exhausting and lazy. (Yes I know a lot of work still goes into development and "lazy" is perhaps not the right word, but it feels that way).

I want UOR to be the best theme park resort. But a great theme park needs variety.

Yes variety their you said it spot on! But theirs something honestly missing from skull island reign of kong..I hate to say that's why it comes up short to KONGFRONTATION. AT least KONGFRONTATION has a kong sized anamatronic that was able to show off his whole body...arms and all. The Kong AA in this one sure is very impressive..the best thing about this ride by far. But what I liked in KONGFRONTATION is that you had that feeling of dropping down with your cable car tram which you really did anyway...but their was no screen projection or 3d involved. At least indiana jones and the temple of the forbidden eye at DL CA had EMV's yes you felt the motion simulator part but this jeep also moved too!!!!! Seeing AA cobra...going over a bridge with fire, boulder scene, the darts room..never been on the attraction and I feel pretty bad I chose disney California's adventure instead. But it was still great also...not until I heard the Twilight Zone tower of terror would be torn down at DCA. Back to topic universal I know has something secret up their sleave....it's a soft opening so maybe we can see a couple of things added to the attraction so it can please everyone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think you're being HILARIOUSLY entitled here. Kong is new. Kong is innovative. It's just not new and innovative in the exact way you want it to be new an innovative.

Hrmm.. is it really? Its just like the old one except with projection screens instead of going through physical sets. The innovation is in the technology to make the screens functional to the level desired (and most of that was done already in the previous versions of this ride concept for UNI.. kong and FF). Not really an innovative ride concept IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom